“A Different Taste in the Village”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: University Place
Houston, Texas
“A Different Taste in the Village”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Like all sites in the Village near Rice University, parking is difficult at times. The actual restaurant is very old looking inside and out and needs a major makeover to bring it into this century. Menu is varied and the prices are average. Service is limited at this dinner time to two and they were polite but too busy to really cover the whole place inside and out. Fried Spring Rolls were very good. Chef's Special Rice good as well. Other dishes all seem to look and taste the same without distinctive flavors or freshness. If you are looking for a little Thai and in the village this is a good choice. If looking for a memorable evening of dining I would go somewhere else.

• Visited May 2014

Austin, Texas
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We were in Rice Village and in a hurry. Thai food is our favorite and we decided to try something different.They offered a lunch buffet but we decided to order off the menu and share a dish since we didn't want a huge meal. The staff was very attentive- service prompt and the food was yummy. We will certainly return. This is not a fancy restaurant... just good food and wonderful service at a reasonable price. Ladies restroom was very clean.

• Visited December 2013
Arkansas
“Love Thai Village”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

I have eaten at Thai Village many times in the past four years during frequent trips to Houston, and I just love it. It is definitely not the swankiest Thai restaurant around but the quality of the food is very good. My husband is not as big a lover of Thai cuisine as I am, but this is also one of his favorite restaurants because he adores the Thai Sweet & Sour chicken. We usually eat here at dinner and my favorite appetizers and soups are the Tom Kha Gai soup, the chicken satay, Thai spring rolls and the pork steamed dumplings. For the main course (all with either tofu or chicken), red curry, panang curry, green curry and chicken or tofu with peanut sauce. My daughters (both vegetarian) are fans of the Pad See Ewe and the Pad Thai with tofu. One very nice thing about Thai Village is that it is extremely vegetarian friendly in that most dishes on the menu are available with tofu. They also usually ask anyone who orders a tofu dish whether "egg is okay" so I assume they are willing to to ensure their dishes are acceptable to vegans, too. Occasionally, we are here for lunch on a weekday and then Thai Village offers a buffet. Of course, the food is never quite as good when it has been out on a buffet line, but what I love about the buffet is the chance to try a bite or two of lots of different dishes. I have tried all of their salads on the buffet and enjoyed all of them, especially the green mango salad. Their satay is also very good on the buffet. They often have my favorite Tom Kha soup wtih the buffet. It is definitely true that the restaurant could use significant updating and repair, but if you are more interested in a casual meal with great food n a restaurant that isn't usually too crowded (in always-crowded Rice Village), give Thai Village a try. I've eaten in many, many Thai restaurants and if you are willing to look beyond the surroundings, Thai Village offers good value and great food.

• Visited January 2013
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Good Thai Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We were not familiar with the Houston area and the van from the Rotary Hotel took us to Rice Village where we found this restaurant. Service and price were excellent. I was not that adventurous as I usually am, so my wife and I each had Pad Thai. My wife love it. And with a little addition of Sriracha, I loved mine also. I recommend this resaurant

Visited November 2012
Corpus Christi
“Good service, Good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Thai Village had good service and good food, which equals good value. I ordered "Family Happiness" and my spouse ordered "Claypot Seafood"; both were good and provided in quantities sufficient to make a second meal. The decor is authentic, and the waiters all appeared to be Thai, but the restaurant is in sad need of a makeover, from the floors to the ceiling tiles.

• Visited April 2012