“Margarita anyone? Not if you don't order a meal!”

Spanish Village Restaurant
Ranked #2,397 of 8,277 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: The Museum District
Houston
“Margarita anyone? Not if you don't order a meal!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

To be fair I will not rate the meal... or the margarita. All I can rate is my random experience. My wife and I had dinner reservations later at a different restaurant but dropped into Spanish Village, mid afternoon, for a margarita and appetizers. The waitress advised us "That's a problem". She informed us that it was restaurant policy to only serve drinks with dinner. No dinner, no margarita, and appetizers don't count. The place was slow and could use some customers too. The waitress said we could ask the owner, which I accepted. I explained to the owner, a nice old lady, what we wished to have and why. She stated the policy was in place to prevent drunks and she would not change it. On the way out she stated "I hope you come back again". Well, Not likely. I appreciate efforts to maintain sobriety, but that requires an educated staff that has to know when to "Refuse to serve", not a "letter of the law" that cannot be enforced by the "spirit of the law". We were well dressed, very pleasant, and obviously sober. The owner could easily, and should have, made an exception to her own rule. I do appreciate that they run the place as they see fit, have been doing it for a long time, so maybe they don't need nice couples coming in for snacks and a drink, and making a one drink exception...but I like snacks and a drink on occasion, and I won't get it at Spanish Village. One other note, the place looks a bit broken down from the outside (I thought it was closed at first) and could use some sprucing up on the inside.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank livegooddesign

Houston, Texas
“Retried Beans”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Great Local Flavor with the best refried beans ever. Plus strong margaritas! You will enjoy the quirky decor, holiday lights and free pralines with your bill. Wonderful service and consistency of food.

Visited December 2013
pistolpete
“Family Tradition”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We visited this Houston Icon for the first time in a year or so. It is a family owned restaurant that his been in business since the 1950's and it, and the décor/furnishings, don't look to have changed much, if at all, over the years. They have a fairly extensive menu of the standard Mexican fare but what draws us is the wonderful fried chicken dinner. It consists of four large pieces of tender juicy chicken fried to a crunchy perfection and it comes with a small salad and your choice of a baked potato or fries. Oh, and don't forget to order one of the wonderful margaritas either on the rocks or frozen. We will be returning soon. Closed Sundays.

• Visited September 2013
Round Top, Texas, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BAD!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I was SO disappointed when I went to this place 9/14/13 because it was so near my daughter's apartment. Let me count the ways:
1. Service - awful, five people at two tables other than mine. I could not get the attention of the waitress to fill my small water glass.
2. Margarita - tiny, in a martini glass - 3 or 4 oz?
3. Food - asked what the waitress recommended but could not get a straight answer so I chose the beef enchiladas. Bad choice, they use corn tortillas (ok I prefer flour) but there was no meat in the first two inches. That was not the worst part, that was the burnt taste of the sauce???
4. Chips - ok, sauce was not tomato based - marginal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Randy P
Houston, Texas
“My Destination for over 35 years”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This restaurant has been Family ran and putting out excellent authentic Tex-Mex food and Great Margaritas since the '60's. My first trip there was in 1978 and I have been coming here ever since. Even when I lived out of town, when I came home to Houston, the first palce I went to eat was Spanish Village! The Medina Family presents very consisitent and fresh plates everytime. The Beef enchiladas are the Best in Houston w/ the rich carne gravy , onions, and gooey cheese. Watch out, very hot plate! No microwave here. Beef tacos always tasty w/ Mexican spices, yet not greasy. Guacamole salad the best, also. No need to dummy up the dish when you use the very freshest ingredients. Throw in a couple of Margaritas on the rocks w/ salt, and you have the perfect visit. I always leave Happy!

• Visited August 2013