“Gem on Westheimer”

Sorrento Ristorante Italiano
Reserve with OpenTable
Sorrento Ristorante Italiano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 8,545 Restaurants in Houston
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cross street: Whitney & Taft
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Sorrento's is a gem on Westheimer. In a small strip center, its excellence is found from the minute you walk in the door. Personal and calm, it's a perfect place for friends, couples and sophisticated diners. The service was excellent, not rushed and very accommodating. The food was outstanding. Perfectly prepared even with special requests, substitutions and arrangements. You won't waste your time here or your money. Enjoy!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I LOVED visiting Sorrento's for the first time a few weeks ago.

The entrance is classic and smart. The bar is inviting, welcoming yet with a slightly conservative feel. I think I saw a piano, if I didn't it would not have been out of place and it's the sort of place where the lighting is obviously completely right, the seating obviously correctly comfortable and the environment inviting yet private.

It reminded me of my younger days living in London and being taken on dates to these fabulous well-healed restaurants where you really didn't even need to think, as everything is done for you....it was a lovely evening.

From a food point of view, I couldn't fault it, accept to say that the very generous bread supply offered is to substitute those with larger appetites feeling let down. Actually, if you ate as the italians with several courses over a few hours, you would be over-full or very satisfied and a good 3 course selection would be well recommended.

I have been told to say the duck was the best ever eaten and I must say I was delighted with my first course ravioli - simply perfect. In fact every dish was well delivered.

So what could be wrong with this venue? Sometimes a little too much attention in the first 20 minutes which kept halting conversation; perhaps as we were seated in the "conservatory" we would have preferred to choose a table further inside.

With this type of restaurant my husband would say it was a place to use the phrase "just pay the man" - have everything you want, choose the food you want, the wine you want and relax and enjoy the experience - it's worth 4 times an average meal out any day......

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Dining at Sorrento was excellent from door to door, save a one loose edge.

Walking into Sorrento one feels instantly: This could be really good! Being warmly greeted and graciously seated at the time of our reservation at 7:30 on Friday night, our group of four was instantly impressed.

The wine list was extensive and had many high-end selections, and wells as several moderately-priced, high-value choices. Our selection was presented and poured as one would hope, but rarely finds.

The selection of warm, fresh breads was the best I can recall. One could dine delightfully on the bread basket, butter, and wine but should resist that temptation.

Specials for the evening were described knowledgably and appetizingly. I wanted them all plus 3 or 4 menu offerings from each category.

The food was excellent in every way but one. Had the entrées had arrived at table hot instead of warm, Sorrento would go to the top of my dining list. Otherwise, every dish was seasoned well and creatively, presented professionally and with aplomb, and plated attractively. Every plate was cleaned, and all diners were very pleased.

Service was truly exceptional. Servers at Sorrento were truly professionals and join those at Aquarello in San Francisco and Marmalade in San Juan, as the best.

I cannot recall ever being warmly greeted (and by name) on the way out, but what a perfect ending to an outstanding dining experience. We left with the distinct feeling that the staff had truly appreciated serving us.

I decided on Sorrento based on TripAdvisor reviews and look forward to going back.

Dr. Scott says: Do yourself a true dining favor, and check it out.

1  Thank FSK-2
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Sorrentos is one of the best in town. The service is impeccable and the food Devine. I had Duck ravioli with foie gras followed by salmon on truffle risotto with crab and shrimp. The bread basket is fabulous and unique to Sorrentos. I finished with chocolate cannelloni another unique item rarely found anywhere. The meal was accompanied with a fine Cabernet from napa. Overall a superb meal.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is my favorite Italian Restaurant in Houston and it's not close! By far, the food, the service, the ambiance, the atmosphere, I mean everything is just perfect to me. I came here on a date last year and I was very impressed. I like neighborhood gems and this place is definitely one! They're not as popular as places like Maggiano's because they're not located in the Galleria area but you know, that's kinda the way I like it. It was quiet, comfortable, and romantic... a perfect date night if you would like to put a smile on a special lady's face! It was AWESOME!