“Best deli in town”

Neighbourhood: Afton Oaks/ River Oaks
Neighbourhood: Afton Oaks/ River Oaks
“Best deli in town”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It is a small Danish deli with a very good potato salad that has a secret recipe, unusual and quite extraordinary. The sandwiches are equally as good, but the bread has soft crust which is a pedestrian standard for Houston. But the food is otherwise wonderful.

Visited March 2013

Houston, Texas
“Minimalism to the extreme”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I had heard a lot about this place and I finally got to try it. I was disappointed by the food. It is possible that I had built a Utopian notion of the famous egg salad sandwiches and the exuberant potato salad and the reality just didn't match with my expectation. However I will attempt to explain my ratings here.
The place is truly a hole in the wall. Limited seating space, and the building radiates a sense of what old Houston was like. I for one like this setting since it harkens you back to the days of old. Once inside I immediately ordered the things that this place has become famous for, egg salad sandwich and potato salad. I couldn't get the deviled eggs since they had run out of them. I will come back and edit my review if the deviled eggs are so superior that they force me to change my mind about the food. The first shock came when I paid for two sandwiches and a medium pack (16 - 24 oz) of potato salad. It was at least double the price of what I would have normally paid but this only excited me since it is only human to proportionate the quality of food with price. I was truly deflated when I looked at the egg salad sandwich. Let me digress here for just a wee bit. I truly appreciate the minimalist movement that food establishments crave nowadays. It reflects the no nonsense attitude that diners have, and it has a sort of Je ne sais quoi about it. This sandwich took minimalism to the extreme. The salad was bland, with a large proportion of mayo to egg which were the only things that the salad seemed to have. Dejected and disappointed I tried the potato salad which helped to cheer me up a bit. The potato salad was good. Adequate seasoning, proportion between potato and mayo and the other ingredients was good as well.
Overall, I was disappointed. I went in thinking that I was trying a Houston institution, but I was disappointed when all was said and done. Service in fact was their strong suit with courteous servers behind the desk and fast service. I would only visit again to try the deviled eggs and see if they can change my mind.

• Visited May 2013
“Great chicken salad!”
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

A little pricey. Fast service but no smiles from the staff. Good to grab and go because they only have a few bars tools to dine in. But definitely one of the best hole in the walls we have found in the area.

Houston, Texas
“Typical deli and semi-expensive.”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This is one of my favorite whole in the wall places in Houston. It has been on and off for me though, most of the time very good but a little pricey.

Visited November 2011