“Best Tex-Mex around”

El Tiempo Cantina Washington
Ranked #27 of 8,150 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gainesville, Florida
“Best Tex-Mex around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

El Tiempo is definitely some of the best tex-mex in Houston. Everything that I have eaten there is great! The queso is one of my favorite quesos in Houston. The frozen strawberry margaritas are delicious!! I've eaten the steak fajitas, nachos, and enchiladas at El Tiempo and have never been disappointed. The only downside is that now I won't try anything else because I always want what I have ordered before! The staff is great and super friendly. Also, a great fun atmosphere!

• Visited September 2013

Jane Lew, West Virginia
“Excellent Mexican food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We ate there this evening and found the food to be excellent. Great service wonderful Margaritas. I has a half order of Crab and Bacon quesadilla with extra Guacamole. Wonderful! Beth had the 1/4 lb. beef Fajita. Real meat on it! Great meal.

Visited September 2013
katy, tx
“Taking another look at an old friend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The restaurant is generally very good. The food is consistent and varied. As you can read in an earlier review that I did, I am a big fan of the food and the atmosphere. A great spot that continues to have great success. Here's my issue. A large chile con queso is more than $14 with tax. Yes...I said $14. It is not gourmet chile con queso. It is chile con queso that is not even remotely near the best in town. Were it the best in town, I might not quibble. As far as I can tell, however, it is by far the most expensive meatless chile con queso in the city (find me one that costs more....I looked). Fully 50% more expensive than that of her peers. The menu, overall, is too expensive for much of the standard fare items, even at lunch where dinner-like prices dominate the lunch specal menu. If somebody else is picking up the tab, I will go. I am going to spend my money elsewhere because there are too many Mexican restaurants in town that are more interesting and offer significantly better value.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank yelocrab
Chicago, Illinois
“Great casual Mexican spot in Houston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Recently ate at El Tiempo with business partners while in Houston. Overall great experience - loud, fun atmosphere, great margaritas, chips and salsa were awesome, and my favorite...we shared a large platter of fajitas, ribs, quail, and shrimp with all of the trimmings - guacamole, rice, beans, etc. Amazing and such a great way to share a meal. Would definitely come again.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jzemon
Spicewood, Texas
“Best beef fajitas & quail in Houston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Eight family members celebrated a birthday at El Tiempo's on Washington Street and were served the best beef fajitas in Houston. We also loved the grilled quail, queso, guacamole, hot sauce & margaritas. The place was buzzing with customers. Our servers kept the chip bowls and water glasses full. It's a fun place to party with lots of menu items. Be sure and have an order of sopapias before paying the tab!

Visited July 2013