“Awesomely authentic Mexican food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #155 of 8,115 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sugar Land, Texas
“Awesomely authentic Mexican food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Lopez Restaurant in Houston is a truly authentic Mexican restaurant. And everybody knows it. I am glad I am retired because I can pick and choose my times to go (man, are they busy!). At lunch and dinnertime it is challenging to get a spot in their large parking lot, they are so popular. Their prices are reasonable, and the food is top notch. But don't plan to go on Sunday because they are not open. I totally respect them taking that day off to be with their families. If you go, you HAVE to try the carne asada, which fairly melts in your mouth and doesn't even require a knife to cut! For great non-chain type Mexican food so good that you forget you aren't south of the border, please give Lopez a try. You will be a fan just like me and will actively study and plan your best times to show up and get a parking spot!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ginny L

Houston, Texas
“Mexican”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Its busy, Beer is cold. Dishes are cheap. This is not a fancy Mexican food but its worth to experience.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Matthew R
“My favorite Mexican restaurant by far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My family drives across town to eat here. The wait staff is always very friendly and attentive. They have great prices and even better margaritas. The beef fajitas and cheese enchiladas are the best in town!

2 Thank MandaC32
The Woodlands
“Great food, friendly service - our favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have eaten at many Mexican restaurants in the Houston area, but Lopez is by far our favorite. We have been customers for 30+ years and still go to back as often as possible, even though we now live some 40 miles away. It's always our first choice for celebrating special occasions. The Tex- Mex food is exceptional and very reasonably priced. I'm especially fond of the cheese enchiladas, guacamole salad and charra beans (ask for them to sub for refried beans). You can't go wrong here no matter what you order. Lopez is a family owned and operated restaurant with prompt and friendly service. No wonder this restaurant is always busy!

1 Thank Rae J
Houston, Texas
“Bad experience on Cinco de Mayo”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I eat here about once a month on average. Usually, the experience is very good. Last night I visited and the experience was notably worse.

My fiancé and I chose Lopez for a Cinco de Mayo dinner. We arrived a little after 8 PM, and were quoted a 30 minute wait time despite maybe 4 groups tops that were waiting for a table. We took a seat in the bar and watched as tables emptied and were not filled. Apparently, they were actively trying to reduce the volume of people in the restaurant for some reason. By the time we finished our meal, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tables were empty. This was very odd and just generally not a great sign of things to come.

If I had to speculate, the restaurant might have been short staffed in the kitchen, leading to the decision to partially empty the restaurant and cut the demand level on the kitchen. If this was the case, it didn't work. Food service was still extremely slow. My fiancé ordered fajita chicken tacos and they brought shredded chicken tacos instead. After a 5 minute wait for the waiter, these were sent back. 15 minutes later, I had finished my meal so we flagged down the waiter and asked for her food to go. 10 minutes later, the food was delivered in a to-go container. We asked for the check, which for some reason the waiter did not think to bring to us with the food. 15 minutes later, I went to the cashier to pay, still with no check. A manager was called, and a few minutes later the waiter showed up with the check. The manager listened to my recount of the experience and took some drinks and something else off the bill. I'm guessing he comped about half the bill since the new total was just over $25.

I'll visit this place again, but I'll choose a night when they are less likely to be busy.

• 2 of 5 bubbles