“I've had better.”

Flying Saucer Pie Company
Ranked #20 of 96 Bakeries in Houston
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I was given a pecan pie and a coconut cream pie as a gift from this pie company. Grant it, Flying Saucer has earned quite a name for itself over the many years it has been in business. However, I have never been so disappointed in a pie in all my life. If I had purchased these pies myself, I would have taken them back and asked for a refund. They are just awful. My mom and I each had a piece and agreed that our stale cookies were the better option.
The pecan pie had a very few pieces of pecan on top with a crisp kind of sugary crust holding them together and underneath is a thick blob of goo called pie filling. It was actually kind of disgusting. One piece is all I could do.
The coconut cream pie is waaaaay better at Luby's. This one had little taste and had the consistency of mealiness with the tiny bits of coconut. It was not fun to eat at all.

If this is what Flying Saucer has come to be, I'll make sure we never purchase pies from them. Frozen Mrs. Smiths is far better - unfortunately.

1  Thank margierita

Reviewed 26 November 2012

There was so much hype surrounding this pie place that I made the trek late in the evening, right before closing. This was probably not the best time as they were out of all but 4 pies. I went with the Cherry. it was tart, so tart that it was not enjoyable; on a positive note, the crust was good and it smelled like heaven. If I venture back for Christmas I will try to get one of the ones they are most famous for: Coconut, Apple, Pecan, etc.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

We travel to Houston to have a booth at a major convention at the George R Brown every year. We work hard at the show then need a place for an affordable good meal in a place that gives us a chance to unwind. The Flying Saucer is within walking distance of our hotel and won our business for three evenings this year. The environment is based on a huge selection of beers and small plate food that are priced below usual restaurants tabs for fine quality brews and food. Sandwiches are great especially the beef dip and reuben. Pizzas (pies) are a hit too. Soft pretzels with cheese dip is great starter. For healthier starter go with the goat cheese salad.

The staff is friendly with a little sports bar feel but does not overdo the sports theme...it's more fun. The Flying Saucer for us is a major plus for staying in Downtown Houston. We have recommended it to others who have become repeaters themselves.

1  Thank FrancCabernet
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I've been going here for years, usually for their strawberry pie. The best ever!! The lines are crazy long around the holidays, but hey....you got to wait for great things sometimes.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

Wait was 1 hour on a Sat. Night. Good conversation though with the regulars while waiting! From the minute we walked in, everyone was friendly and pleasant. Although the place was packed, the function of the staff was smooth and professional. Newer restaurants should come and learn from this place!
Our wait was long for the food as well, but there was a warning on the menu that the fried chicken would take 20-30 minutes. You knew you were in for a wait- no surprises.
Basket of crackers on the table like the old days. My salad was a bit wet and the Ranch dressing runny, but it was simple and good with a generous serving.
The fried chicken was crispy and good. A bit greasy, but still good. The French fries were home cut and crispy. There was bread with butter served as well. The server was attentive and very sweet.
I came for the first time tonight because my Mom passed away recently. I had a bad week and remembered my brother saying this place had fried chicken like Mom's. The whole restaurant reminded me of my childhood, when waitresses were friendly and food was good comfort food. Thank you to the owners and staff for a memorable step back in time!