“Real Spanish”

Rioja Restaurant
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Rioja is a classical Spanish restaurant serving food and tapas from all areas of Spain. These recipes have been in our family for over 200 years.
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The only really authentic Spanish food in Houston. Good food, really good Spanish wines at reasonable prices. Watch for their paella, sucking pig and roasted goat nights. Unique.

1  Thank Christopher A
Luis A, Manager at Rioja Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Your opening line says it all. Thank you for taking the time to share such a glowing recommendation for us, Christopher. Regardless of how much time passes, I'll always appreciate your support. I can’t wait to welcome you back the next time you’re craving tapas. Our door's always open!

Cheers,
Al, General Manager

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I thought is time to have some tapas. Me and my husband love tapas and had all sorts in numerous visits to Span and Spanisch Islands. We were so excited as the menu on web looked good. When we arrived the restaurant looked awesome - white table cloth etc..cool, I think. We look at the menu and instead of ordering bunch of small plates we decided to go for lunch special - one appetizer and entree. I picked Dates wrapped in bacon and hubby Mushrooms in garlic sauce. It was served with fresh bread and Italian spices oil dip - oh...it was delicious....food was awesome, we started to talk that we need to make this place our regular stop etc. We ordered bottle of Spanish red wine...all looked good. Than....the main meal come...WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubby had : Steak with garlic mash potatoes - steak???? I don't even know what it was, but sure it was NOT edible....he ordered Med-Rare as steak should be served...came rare, chewy so he asked to cook little longer - that did not help. I tried it to see for myself - seriously after 3 MINI bites Iw as done - my jaw was aching from chewing!!!!!!!!!!!! and potatoes? not garlicky and sprinkled with some grated cheese???? he left all on his plate, and this is the man who normally eats all his and half of mine! Me??? not better - I ordered flounder with braised quinoa - Fish was berried under some disgusting red sauce and was served with FRIDGE COLD quinoa!!!! Who serves hot and cold on one plate?????? We will NEVER be back!!!!

It’s upsetting that we fell short of providing you with a truly flavorful experience, Eva. What you describe is far from the impression we wish to leave on our valued guests, so I'm hoping we can make this right.

Firstly, I want to apologize for my delayed response as I'm just now active on this platform. Had I known back in October, I would have immediately reached out. After all, your happiness is always a priority.

When it comes to your meal, I'll admit that your experience sounds very out of character for us. We pride ourselves on serving the freshest ingredients and always prepare our dishes to order. With that said, it's truly disheartening to read you felt differently. The last thing we want is our guests to leave unsatisfied, so I sincerely apologize we missed the opportunity to improve your experience before you left.

Since some time has passed, I truly hope you'll give us another opportunity to impress. I'm confident we can provide you with the 5-star meal you deserve.

Warm regards,
Al, General Manager

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Didn't get our order right (food missing). We were overcharged, and the owner does not accept responsibility.

1  Thank Jourdanv
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We went with friends who used to live in Spain and love this restaurant. The food was all delicious, and we had smaller tapas portions of many dishes so that we could try many things. Very fresh, incredible fish. Authentic Gazpacho that was great. We also had very good empanadas and some surprisingly good lamb chops.
Great food, and a really nice Spanish wine list. Atmosphere is very Spanish too.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We are big fans of tapas and were not disappointed. We have not been back to Rioja for a while and were glad we went.

We had both hot and cold and all were excellent. We did not have the paella. The lamb chops were the best, along with the spicy potatoes with chorizo sausage.