“Not up to standard for the price”

Hotel Granduca Houston
Ranked #2 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Not up to standard for the price”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

While the hotel is clean and lovely, Once you pass the exceptional door staff, the service plummeted and expectations were not met. On arrival our expected room had to be changed to a smaller room though still a two room suite. When we reserved a suite with a kitchenette for our week stay we thought it bizarre to find a sink, microwave and full range top but no refrigerator other than the fully stocked micro minibar with no room for even the smallest restaurant leftovers leaving us to wonder how a person could actually use the kitchenette. The meager two cups of coffee offered for the Keurig were not replenished three days of our stay, I'm not a happy person without my morning coffee first thing. When I called to rectify the situation I finally reached someone after calling a third number only to be brought four green tea cups after a long wait with no apologies. I picked up our own supply and the grocery store. The rooms are also not well insulated from sound. Even though we were on the third floor I was woken several times a night by delivery trucks and staff taking out garbage. The hotel restaurant was busy and often made it difficult to find a parking spot since there was no area reserved for hotel guests. And not once during our stay did anyone on the staff ask how are stay was going. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the image presented on arrival was not carried out in any way, shape or form throughout our stay. If you have an extended stay and are looking for someplace with the comforts and conveniences of home, this is not the place.

Room Tip: Room 319 should be avoided as it is over the delivery and kitchen area.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mary Grace G, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay at Granduca. We appreciate you taking time to share your concerns regarding our services. I am so sorry you did not receive your coffee which you requested; this issue is being addressed as well as the concern you noted regarding the staff not being welcoming and caring during your experience. I assure you this is not our usual service and we are sincerely sorry. We hope that you will consider Granduca again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Mary Grace Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I have been to the this hotel several times over the past 3 years. It's where we go for a mini vacation. The last 3 times we have been there (out of about 6 or 7) have been disappointing at best. Our bed sheets were dirty - there was blood and mucus smears on the sheets. The service was subpar. The staff all seem disinterested and put out. This is suppose to be a luxury boutique hotel and it is dirty and poorly managed. We will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Mary Grace G, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for being our recent guest at Granduca. We appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I am so sorry you were disappointed in your last experience - we are addressing all issues you noted regarding staffing and housekeeping. We hope that you will continue to include Granduca among your mini vacation choices. Hope to see you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed at the Granduca for three nights recently on a trip to Houston with a group. The staff was warm and accommodating and made every effort to be helpful. My room was spacious with a large bathroom and a kitchenette (I believe all rooms have the kitchenette). It did not have a desk, but I imagine some layouts do--it wasn't important enough for me to ask to change rooms. The bed was very comfortable and I generally slept quite well. Housekeeping was prompt, thorough, and completely unobtrusive.

There is a lovely pool and patio at the hotel. Alas it was too cool to swim, but I imagine it would be a very nice place to spend an afternoon.

The hotel is located across from a retail center with several restaurants (we had an especially good lunch at one of them one day--I can't remember the name!). Of course you need a car to get anywhere beyond the immediate vicinity, but this is true of everywhere in Houston.

The hotel restaurant is lovely and the service there, like everywhere in the hotel, is very gracious. It is very expensive for breakfast, though--$25 for a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of tea. All hotel restaurants are overpriced, but this one seemed especially so.

Overall this is a really lovely hotel--I had only a couple of gripes:

-No full length mirror in the room--only a mirror over the sink in the bathroom. This was okay as I was traveling alone, but another mirror (especially a full length one) in the bedroom would be especially helpful when traveling with a partner.

-Though I heard no noise from the rooms on either side or above me, I heard a lot of noise from the hallway. The doors are thin and the hallways are made of tile--only partially carpeted--so anytime a piece of luggage, a luggage cart, or a room service cart is rolled down the hall, it is very noisy. This was especially disturbing when someone rolled a cart down the hall at 4:30 one morning...

Those are problems that could easily be fixed and perhaps the hotel will attend to them (and they are the reason I have given a 4-star review instead of a 5-star review). All in all, though, I would certainly stay in this hotel again and I recommend it if you are traveling to Houston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for being our guest at Granduca; we are delighted you enjoyed our staff as well as the intimate and elegant surroundings such as our restaurant, pool, veranda and shopping across the way. We are looking into the noise issues which you noted and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here for four nights in February 2014 when visiting friends in Houston. The rooms are spacious with a big bathroom. Good beds. Breakfast is outstanding, however expensive. Internet is free!! Very nice service. We can recommend Granduca!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Mary Grace G, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your experience. We are so delighted you enjoyed all that Granduca has to offer. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I have stayed in gorgeous resorts and hotels all over the world and never knew that a world class hotel was right down the road from us. We stayed at the Hotel Granduca for Valentine's Day, and were extremely impressed by this gem of a hotel. Even at full capacity, the hotel is spacious and intimate, and never crowded feeling. The friendly, helpful staff in all parts of the hotel were attentive and warm, and truly cared about meeting every need. The hotel is fortunate to have a very impressive general manager, Ms. Gray, who trains the staff to treat guests like family, with professionalism and poise. Each common room of the hotel was beautifully appointed and unique, and our suite was gorgeous. This is no run of the mill "box" hotel - it is a 5 star retreat where you can forget you are surrounded by a huge city. We had an amazing stay, and highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a romantic getaway, or who just wants a slice of luxury for an evening. One last note - Ristorante Cavour is a gorgeous, intimate and romantic restaurant on the hotel property. Wow! We can't wait to go back.

1 Thank e_recruiter
Dear Guest

We are so delighted you enjoyed Valentines at Granduca! This holiday is a favorite for many who plan their trip well in advance each year to celebrate with us. We have become known for exceptional service at every turn and it is always nice to know our new guests experience that same attention to detail after seven years, since opening. We are thrilled you enjoyed the ambiance and elegance throughout - as well as our internationally acclaimed staff. We all look forward to seeing you again soon, for Sunday Brunch, Afternoon Tea, or our Thursday evening Happy Hour....Aperitivo

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is supposed to be top-notch, first class, and there is a price tag that naturally comes along with it. However, the ONLY top-notch aspect of this hotel is the location and staff. Everything else was sub par. List in random order:
1) wrong room at check in
2) wrong room to replace the originally wrong room
3) moved to a "half smoking" floor, into a non-smoking room... This was comical. My room smelled like a chimney, and when I suggested this to the front desk, they said - "well, occasionally you can get some smoke from under the door, but it is a non-smoking room." This was laughable, and insulting, I felt like I had to push them to get the picture...
4) Out of food.. thats right. I ordered the breakfast, by filling it all out the night before on the card... They arrived early, woke me up, and promptly gave me a cup of water and a tiny fruit plate, saying, "Sorry, our chef didnt arrive, and the food is not here, we have no breakfast available." I wish I was making this up...
Anyway. Huge disappointment. I get the feeling this used to be a nice place, but is now managed by some motel 6 group or something.

2 Thank TheDrJason
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Granduca. I am very sorry for the missteps in service. We hope you will join us again to experience our usual service.

Nacogdoches, TX
Reviewed 9 February 2014

For the last 15 years, I have had "stay at a five star hotel" listed. I wanted a hotel with character so I chose this one with its European "castle" look. I was not disappointed. I had to change my dates to come a few weeks before and they did that with no problem. We were greeted warmly at every turn and doors were opened for us. Most spoke with some kinds of accent which just added to the experience. LOL My suite...oh my! Fifth floor with a great balcony and very large. Robes and slippers...full kitchen...turn down service...chocolate on my pillow...etc. The sheets were so comfy and the towels were lush. We didn't get a chance to try the shuttle, restaurant or pool, but I am sure they would have been great. There were so many "little things" that added to the experience as well but there are too many to name. Thank you, Hotel Granduca, for making this Bucket List item a pleasure to check off.

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are so excited you enjoyed all that Granduca has to offer and more... It is truly a very special place in the heart of our great city. We all look forward to seeing you again when your travels take you back to Houston.