“Nice hotel but not 5*” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 501 Hotels in Houston
kuwait
“Nice hotel but not 5*”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed 1 night in this hotel on my way to Dallas. The hotel location is very nice and convenient to galleria and other shopping/ restaurants .
The staff of the hotel during checking in / out were amazing and very friendly.
The hotel overall interior decoration is more to the Andalusian style , however, the luxury is missed and 1 * is down.
The hotel gives you the feel of a beach or resort type of hotel not a city hotel.
The breakfast is small hall , although it's half empty , they took very looong time to bring the food, they were very fast with the bill.
I believe there is no real 5* hotel in Houston area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Mary Grace G, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your recent stay at Granduca. We are delighted to know you enjoyed our staff as well as our convenient location in relation to the Galleria. I am genuinely sorry for the delay with your breakfast and we hope you will return to enjoy all that Granduca has to offer.

Mary Grace Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

While the hotel is clean and lovely, Once you pass the exceptional door staff, the service plummeted and expectations were not met. On arrival our expected room had to be changed to a smaller room though still a two room suite. When we reserved a suite with a kitchenette for our week stay we thought it bizarre to find a sink, microwave and full range top but no refrigerator other than the fully stocked micro minibar with no room for even the smallest restaurant leftovers leaving us to wonder how a person could actually use the kitchenette. The meager two cups of coffee offered for the Keurig were not replenished three days of our stay, I'm not a happy person without my morning coffee first thing. When I called to rectify the situation I finally reached someone after calling a third number only to be brought four green tea cups after a long wait with no apologies. I picked up our own supply and the grocery store. The rooms are also not well insulated from sound. Even though we were on the third floor I was woken several times a night by delivery trucks and staff taking out garbage. The hotel restaurant was busy and often made it difficult to find a parking spot since there was no area reserved for hotel guests. And not once during our stay did anyone on the staff ask how are stay was going. Maybe my expectations were too high, but the image presented on arrival was not carried out in any way, shape or form throughout our stay. If you have an extended stay and are looking for someplace with the comforts and conveniences of home, this is not the place.

Room Tip: Room 319 should be avoided as it is over the delivery and kitchen area.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay at Granduca. We appreciate you taking time to share your concerns regarding our services. I am so sorry you did not receive your coffee which you requested; this issue is being addressed as well as the concern you noted regarding the staff not being welcoming and caring during your experience. I assure you this is not our usual service and we are sincerely sorry. We hope that you will consider Granduca again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I have been to the this hotel several times over the past 3 years. It's where we go for a mini vacation. The last 3 times we have been there (out of about 6 or 7) have been disappointing at best. Our bed sheets were dirty - there was blood and mucus smears on the sheets. The service was subpar. The staff all seem disinterested and put out. This is suppose to be a luxury boutique hotel and it is dirty and poorly managed. We will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Mary Grace G, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for being our recent guest at Granduca. We appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. I am so sorry you were disappointed in your last experience - we are addressing all issues you noted regarding staffing and housekeeping. We hope that you will continue to include Granduca among your mini vacation choices. Hope to see you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed at the Granduca for three nights recently on a trip to Houston with a group. The staff was warm and accommodating and made every effort to be helpful. My room was spacious with a large bathroom and a kitchenette (I believe all rooms have the kitchenette). It did not have a desk, but I imagine some layouts do--it wasn't important enough for me to ask to change rooms. The bed was very comfortable and I generally slept quite well. Housekeeping was prompt, thorough, and completely unobtrusive.

There is a lovely pool and patio at the hotel. Alas it was too cool to swim, but I imagine it would be a very nice place to spend an afternoon.

The hotel is located across from a retail center with several restaurants (we had an especially good lunch at one of them one day--I can't remember the name!). Of course you need a car to get anywhere beyond the immediate vicinity, but this is true of everywhere in Houston.

The hotel restaurant is lovely and the service there, like everywhere in the hotel, is very gracious. It is very expensive for breakfast, though--$25 for a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of tea. All hotel restaurants are overpriced, but this one seemed especially so.

Overall this is a really lovely hotel--I had only a couple of gripes:

-No full length mirror in the room--only a mirror over the sink in the bathroom. This was okay as I was traveling alone, but another mirror (especially a full length one) in the bedroom would be especially helpful when traveling with a partner.

-Though I heard no noise from the rooms on either side or above me, I heard a lot of noise from the hallway. The doors are thin and the hallways are made of tile--only partially carpeted--so anytime a piece of luggage, a luggage cart, or a room service cart is rolled down the hall, it is very noisy. This was especially disturbing when someone rolled a cart down the hall at 4:30 one morning...

Those are problems that could easily be fixed and perhaps the hotel will attend to them (and they are the reason I have given a 4-star review instead of a 5-star review). All in all, though, I would certainly stay in this hotel again and I recommend it if you are traveling to Houston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for being our guest at Granduca; we are delighted you enjoyed our staff as well as the intimate and elegant surroundings such as our restaurant, pool, veranda and shopping across the way. We are looking into the noise issues which you noted and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here for four nights in February 2014 when visiting friends in Houston. The rooms are spacious with a big bathroom. Good beds. Breakfast is outstanding, however expensive. Internet is free!! Very nice service. We can recommend Granduca!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mary Grace G, General Manager at Hotel Granduca Houston, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your experience. We are so delighted you enjoyed all that Granduca has to offer. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I have stayed in gorgeous resorts and hotels all over the world and never knew that a world class hotel was right down the road from us. We stayed at the Hotel Granduca for Valentine's Day, and were extremely impressed by this gem of a hotel. Even at full capacity, the hotel is spacious and intimate, and never crowded feeling. The friendly, helpful staff in all parts of the hotel were attentive and warm, and truly cared about meeting every need. The hotel is fortunate to have a very impressive general manager, Ms. Gray, who trains the staff to treat guests like family, with professionalism and poise. Each common room of the hotel was beautifully appointed and unique, and our suite was gorgeous. This is no run of the mill "box" hotel - it is a 5 star retreat where you can forget you are surrounded by a huge city. We had an amazing stay, and highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a romantic getaway, or who just wants a slice of luxury for an evening. One last note - Ristorante Cavour is a gorgeous, intimate and romantic restaurant on the hotel property. Wow! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank e_recruiter
Dear Guest

We are so delighted you enjoyed Valentines at Granduca! This holiday is a favorite for many who plan their trip well in advance each year to celebrate with us. We have become known for exceptional service at every turn and it is always nice to know our new guests experience that same attention to detail after seven years, since opening. We are thrilled you enjoyed the ambiance and elegance throughout - as well as our internationally acclaimed staff. We all look forward to seeing you again soon, for Sunday Brunch, Afternoon Tea, or our Thursday evening Happy Hour....Aperitivo

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is supposed to be top-notch, first class, and there is a price tag that naturally comes along with it. However, the ONLY top-notch aspect of this hotel is the location and staff. Everything else was sub par. List in random order:
1) wrong room at check in
2) wrong room to replace the originally wrong room
3) moved to a "half smoking" floor, into a non-smoking room... This was comical. My room smelled like a chimney, and when I suggested this to the front desk, they said - "well, occasionally you can get some smoke from under the door, but it is a non-smoking room." This was laughable, and insulting, I felt like I had to push them to get the picture...
4) Out of food.. thats right. I ordered the breakfast, by filling it all out the night before on the card... They arrived early, woke me up, and promptly gave me a cup of water and a tiny fruit plate, saying, "Sorry, our chef didnt arrive, and the food is not here, we have no breakfast available." I wish I was making this up...
Anyway. Huge disappointment. I get the feeling this used to be a nice place, but is now managed by some motel 6 group or something.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheDrJason
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Granduca. I am very sorry for the missteps in service. We hope you will join us again to experience our usual service.