“Friendly B&B, very convenient for Rice U”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #68 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
“Friendly B&B, very convenient for Rice U”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

We have stayed here twice: in April, 2012, when our son was considering Rice University, and again in the following August when he enrolled. The staff was very friendly; our room (the Cayman-Chickadee) was spacious, and the excellent breakfast included baked goods right from the oven. Both times we stayed, we found the conversation with the other guests around the breakfast table to be a very enjoyable part of our stay. We'll certainly stay here again whenever we return to Houston.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
We love our Rice University familes. Thank you for the nice review and cannot wait to welcome to back to the Modern.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I recently had 16 out of town family guest come to Houston for a wedding. Instead of having everyone stay at a hotel, they all stayed at the Modern B&B. Everyone of my guests thanked me for the recommendation as the experience exceeded expectations. The rooms offered privacy when needed but the common areas were a great gathering place or the entire group. That combined with the wonderful hospitality, great location in Houston, outstanding customer service and the awesome breakfasts are reasons why I highly recommend Modern B&B

Room Tip: Talk directly to Lisa to explain your needs and she will find the right room for you.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Utrecht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed in Modern B&B for business during the OTC with several colleagues and we especially liked the uncomplicated atmosphere, good breakfast and Lisa, the owner. Additionally, it is located in a neighbourhood that is very open, green and has some nice places to drink a beer and eat some food.

You have your own room in one of the three houses, with your own bathroom. Each house has its public area with kitchen but breakfast is served each morning in the main house. Wonderful eggs, cakes, lots of fruit.

The place is a good option for families as well.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I travel to Houston regularly for business and typically get a place at the last minute. Last night as I was en route to Houston I frantically was calling hotels and every single hotel in Houston was sold out, including outlying areas as far as Sealy and Columbus, due to a huge oil and gas conference. Out of an act of desperation I started contacting B&Bs only to find out that they were also sold out. When I called Modern B&B, Lisa (the owner) jokingly said I could sleep on the couch. After being turned down by several others due to there being no rooms available, I called Lisa back and asked if she was serious, to which she replied she was. I figured a couch was better then sleeping in my car on the side of the road, so I headed towards her place. When I arrived she greeted me (this was after 10pm) and the place is amazing. It was very clean with modern decor in a nice neighborhood very close to many nice shopping and dining areas. Not only did I have a place to stay for the night, but it was also very beautiful and clean with wonderful hospitality. I was awoken by the smells of the lovely breakfast being prepared by the chef. Unfortunately, I was not able to eat breakfast, but it looked and smelled amazing. Modern B&B is a great place and Lisa was so very nice and hospitable. Thank you and I will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you for the awesome review. Come back and see us. Maybe we'll let you sleep in a bed this time.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed there for only 1 night but it was a great experience! The hotel is beautiful, great family environment. I had never stayed at a B&B but everyone is like this (which I know they are not), I would stay at more. Our room was small but did its job. Had a very comfortable bed, a shower and a small bathroom. We were only there for one night but it was perfect. Cable and wifi was included. The location was great for a vegan like myself, several vegan restaurants, trader joes and whole foods all nearby. Then in the morning, I told the owner was vegan and they made me a special vegan tofu scramble. I have tofu scramble too many times to count and this recipe was delicious! Overall great experience and if I am ever in Houston again I will return

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

We just got back from a trip to Houston to visit our daughter. We stayed at Modern B&B. It was terrific. It is located in delightfully quiet neighborhood within a nice walk to coffee/tea spots. However, you don't really need them as Modern B&B has spacious common space with tea/coffee/kitchen available to use.

Lisa and her staff were just right. They were available, friendly and interesting. Lisa had lots of ideas of places to go and things to do. She was very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed. They were able to be available for us without being overwhelming with their presence. (you know sometimes you just want to hang out quietly.. and it felt good to do that there)

The rooms are lovely, spacious, clean and comfortable. It is a very easy place to relax and feel comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

While in Houston for business I had long and stressful days - but they always started warmly, with Lisa's enthusiasm, charm and warmth, and Roxanne's stellar breakfasts. The rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable - Lisa does all she can to accommodate different interests, instructing me on the best places to run and fun restaurants in the area.

The guests staying at The Modern were all friendly and fun, and Lisa and Roxanne knew how to bring out the best in everyone, making you want to linger around the breakfast table to chat and enjoy the morning. It felt like staying at home. I will stay there whenever my travels bring me through Houston!

Room Tip: When you book, tell Lisa the purpose of your travel and she'll try and put you in a room that su...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business