“Modern and comfy”
Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #77 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 19 July 2013

This accommodation was booked for me, so I didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. The b&b consists of three adjacent townhouses built in a fun, contemporary style. I arrived after 8pm and was surprised, not pleasantly, that no one was there, but I called the number on the note left on the door and Lisa was able to talk me through finding my room which was in the third townhouse. You should know there are a fair number of stairs to climb as the entrances to each building were on the second floor. It seems each room is unique and has a name to match, but my room was still being worked out, so unfortunately I missed out on that added character. That said, it felt like staying in someone's house which I really liked in contrast to sleeping in a random, monotonous hotel. The breakfast table was full the first morning, so I sat at the bar by myself. Everyone was very chatty, and there seemed to be a lot of repeat guests. The second morning, just the opposite was true - I was at the table all by myself and had a tasty made-to-order omelette. Overall, I had a nice stay and would come back again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ciaosole
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thanks for your cool review. We have people at the BB most of the time to check folks in but, 8pm and later is a bit tough because we try to have a little personal life. I am glad you were ultimately cool with me guiding you in. I was very likely either at the Harp for trivia which we often take guests to as well or out with my running group on a Wednsday night.

Hope you come back and stay with us again. We do have lots of regulars and once you get the lay of the land you will love this place.

All the best to you.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We have stayed here twice: in April, 2012, when our son was considering Rice University, and again in the following August when he enrolled. The staff was very friendly; our room (the Cayman-Chickadee) was spacious, and the excellent breakfast included baked goods right from the oven. Both times we stayed, we found the conversation with the other guests around the breakfast table to be a very enjoyable part of our stay. We'll certainly stay here again whenever we return to Houston.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

We love our Rice University familes. Thank you for the nice review and cannot wait to welcome to back to the Modern.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I recently had 16 out of town family guest come to Houston for a wedding. Instead of having everyone stay at a hotel, they all stayed at the Modern B&B. Everyone of my guests thanked me for the recommendation as the experience exceeded expectations. The rooms offered privacy when needed but the common areas were a great gathering place or the entire group. That combined with the wonderful hospitality, great location in Houston, outstanding customer service and the awesome breakfasts are reasons why I highly recommend Modern B&B

Room Tip: Talk directly to Lisa to explain your needs and she will find the right room for you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed in Modern B&B for business during the OTC with several colleagues and we especially liked the uncomplicated atmosphere, good breakfast and Lisa, the owner. Additionally, it is located in a neighbourhood that is very open, green and has some nice places to drink a beer and eat some food.

You have your own room in one of the three houses, with your own bathroom. Each house has its public area with kitchen but breakfast is served each morning in the main house. Wonderful eggs, cakes, lots of fruit.

The place is a good option for families as well.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I travel to Houston regularly for business and typically get a place at the last minute. Last night as I was en route to Houston I frantically was calling hotels and every single hotel in Houston was sold out, including outlying areas as far as Sealy and Columbus, due to a huge oil and gas conference. Out of an act of desperation I started contacting B&Bs only to find out that they were also sold out. When I called Modern B&B, Lisa (the owner) jokingly said I could sleep on the couch. After being turned down by several others due to there being no rooms available, I called Lisa back and asked if she was serious, to which she replied she was. I figured a couch was better then sleeping in my car on the side of the road, so I headed towards her place. When I arrived she greeted me (this was after 10pm) and the place is amazing. It was very clean with modern decor in a nice neighborhood very close to many nice shopping and dining areas. Not only did I have a place to stay for the night, but it was also very beautiful and clean with wonderful hospitality. I was awoken by the smells of the lovely breakfast being prepared by the chef. Unfortunately, I was not able to eat breakfast, but it looked and smelled amazing. Modern B&B is a great place and Lisa was so very nice and hospitable. Thank you and I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the awesome review. Come back and see us. Maybe we'll let you sleep in a bed this time.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed there for only 1 night but it was a great experience! The hotel is beautiful, great family environment. I had never stayed at a B&B but everyone is like this (which I know they are not), I would stay at more. Our room was small but did its job. Had a very comfortable bed, a shower and a small bathroom. We were only there for one night but it was perfect. Cable and wifi was included. The location was great for a vegan like myself, several vegan restaurants, trader joes and whole foods all nearby. Then in the morning, I told the owner was vegan and they made me a special vegan tofu scramble. I have tofu scramble too many times to count and this recipe was delicious! Overall great experience and if I am ever in Houston again I will return

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We just got back from a trip to Houston to visit our daughter. We stayed at Modern B&B. It was terrific. It is located in delightfully quiet neighborhood within a nice walk to coffee/tea spots. However, you don't really need them as Modern B&B has spacious common space with tea/coffee/kitchen available to use.

Lisa and her staff were just right. They were available, friendly and interesting. Lisa had lots of ideas of places to go and things to do. She was very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed. They were able to be available for us without being overwhelming with their presence. (you know sometimes you just want to hang out quietly.. and it felt good to do that there)

The rooms are lovely, spacious, clean and comfortable. It is a very easy place to relax and feel comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family