“Great place to be social”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #65 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great place to be social”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I've been staying exclusively at the Modern for over 5 years now, at least 12 times a year. Lisa and her staff are very welcoming and will drag you out to restaurants, runs (she and boyfriend Avi are marathoners) and bars/clubs if you like, and there are 20+ restaurants within a short distance. My favorite: the Alabama Ice House and the tacos from the truck across the street- all outdoor seating and a great place to people watch.

The Modern is not the place if you like a super quiet room or sterile hotel environment, and it's not posh like a Hilton et al, but for me social aspect is paramount. Great breakfast with Roxanne too.

Room Tip: Stay in the Spa if you dare!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bill R
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Bill, thank you for the wonderful post! I'm off to the Boston Marathon tomorrow, and will certainly be grabbing some of those delicious tacos on my way back home (they'll certainly hit the spot after the long run). Look forward to seeing you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband loved this B&B. The first night he never went out to dinner, just socialized with some other guests, eating free appetizers and drinking wine. He said it was a very pleasant evening. He sent pictures of the Houston skyline and sunset from one of two terraces in his room.

He wishes it were nearer NYC!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Big thanks for the review! I love the view as well, the room isn't called 'Skyline" for nothing! We always appreciate those willing to come out and mingle with the group, give your husband a big thanks for us.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Beautiful building situated within walking distance of the Menil Collection, Rothko museum and an up and coming neighborhood filled with coffee shops, restaurants and boutique interior design and shopping. The neighborhood is still be gentrified so there were construction noises at 1 in the morning.

The chef is great and makes delicious omelets, breakfast spread and happy hour. To me this B&B felt like a modern, grown up hostel. Very cool and innovative concept, but don't expect to be waited on. Lisa, the owner, is very chatty but not the best at hospitality. Our rooms didn't have reading nights, and we had to ask for towels. The bathtub drain had no plug so you couldn't take baths but the shower was spacious and a neat design. The architecture is stunning and there is a huge great room with a tv and interesting artwork. However, the flooring is all wood and the bedroom doors don't reach the bottom of the floor so at 4 am when some other guests came home I woke up because all the noise bounces around the hard surfaces.

Montrose is a great neighborhood and for our first trip to Houston I'm glad we stayed in this location because we could walk to so many cultural locations and restaurants. We went to Jenni's noodle house for Vietnamese, Papacitos for Seafood, and Goode and Co. BBQ for traditional Texas fare. The Black Hole is a nearby coffee shop that is excellent and has vintage, mid-century furniture, and an artsy somewhat upscale University coffee shop feel. Mason's nails is within walking distance and is a great place for a manicure. Canopy is a restaurant within walking distance that looks like it would be delicious for casual, creative texas/american fare. B2 is a nearby interior design and letter press company that is gorgeous. We also spent a day in the West U neighborhood across the highway and it is worth a visit too. The women's boutique Julie Rhodes fashion & home on Edloe Street is beautiful, friendly and offers a variety of clothing, jewelry, shoes, accessories and home goods options. Very affordable luxury. I bought all my spring/summer clothes there.

Overall, if you want to be able to walk and see a lot of art attractions in Montrose the Modern B&B is a great place to stay, but you'll sacrifice some comforts of a hotel and private lodging experience because of the design and set up of the interior space of the B&B. Beds are comfy, but you have to ask for towels, water glasses and basic things like reading lights. For the price, I think you could have a more private, well thought out stay, but the location can't be beat.

Room Tip: We stayed in chickadee and it's adjoining room. We were three and it was a jack and jill bathroo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank abitlovely
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Nancy, Thanks for the really thoughtful review. I took notes on your suggestions & we just ordered some cool reading lights so hopefully that helps. Most rooms do have them but, your are right the Caymn room has a really artsy lamp that is not so good for reading. Sorry about the towels the Room you stayed in has this towel rack in the bathroom that holds 4 towels and then a rack by the shower that holds 2 more. so 6 towels total. I asked the maids to make sure those racks are full. We do not put water glasses in the rooms but, have a tray of them at the buffet and have larger glasses in the ktichen with ice and water in the fridge door. More like a Bb than a hotel for sure. The bath counter in the Cayman room is not huge so we did nto want to clutter it with glasses. Called my plumber about the tub stopper. Not sure where that went.

it is hard to hear negative comments directed at me like this one: "Lisa, the owner, is very chatty but not the best at hospitality. It is good to take a step back and see how other people see me. My heartfelt apologies. No excuses I will try to improve in this area.

We did not put door sweeps on the doros because he thought it might effect the efficiency fo the air condition ie return air etc. We will add them tothe Cayman and chickadee room and see how that works. You are right there are a lto of hard surfaces and sound does carry expecially in the Cayman/ chickadee room.

Your suggestions for where to eat and what to do are spot on. Very informative.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Such a neat and creative concept, in one of the best locations in HOU. First off, you don't know where to enter, the sign is small and hidden as you pass by. Kind of confusing knowing where to enter, Check-In was quick in the main house.
Rooms were a great size, Looks like they had been recently remodeled, rough finishes on the floor, exposed drywall edges in closet, electrical plug hanging out from wall. I was on the mid floor, the rooms have hardwood floors, with this said, you can hear the person on the third floor loud and clear. Great bed, very clean and comfortable!! Breakfast in the morning was excellent!! Not too fond of the cats lingering around and running in while we were eating.

To sum up....great place, great location, good price, excellent Bfast. I would stay here again, if they would keep up with the details this would be "5" star pick!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. We were at the time adding a bathroom to another room so there were some details to be finished. All of that is compleded now. I believe you were in the Kansas room. You are right about noise it is one of the things that stresses me out. most. On the one hand we don't want carpet because it can house so many allergens but, on the other hand it is by far the best sound dampener. So We installed cork & then a wood floor over it in the skyline room which is above the kansas room and we thought this would muffel the noise. It is usually pretty quiet unless the guest in the skyline walks around in heels.

Roxanne and I love cats but, there is really only our house cat Hoover now. If you do not want cats around please let us know because Hoover is glad to lounge in my room downstairs.

Come see us again.
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed at Modern B&B for 11 nights. Breakfasts were very tasty and often social occasions. Great kitchen for cooking and storing your own food (important for extended durations). Big, open common areas. They have a decent, make-shift gym in the garage. Clean rooms. Comfy beds. Montrose is great for dining and exploring. Also the B&B is very close to 59 giving you quick access to the highway network. Beats the hell out of staying at a hotel. I used to live in Houston years ago, and in this neighborhood, and the B&B contributed to the positive experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank chris_ordonez
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Chris, we appreciate you taking the time to write a wonderful review. Thanks for helping make Modern so special, we always appreciate when guests make time to mingle! Roxanne certainly appreciates the compliment, the girl is good at what she does. Hope to see you again soon!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I attempted two calls to book a room and both times was hung up on with a condescending "honey" and was told that I could email her if I wanted a room in the upcoming days. I'm guessing that I would have to deal with this same level of attitude if I were to stay there all week next week and I can't see myself signing up to deal with that kind of attitude by choice.

No thanks.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Arbegast
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We do have several people who answer the phones and they are all very professional so I am not sure what happened. your review has been read aloud to everyone who answers the phone and we will endeavor to do better. None of us really say honey to anyone so we are somewhat baffeled but, appreciate the heads up.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed 3 nights here, it was really beautiful location in a leafy neighborhood. The rooms were big, clean and had all anyone would need. Breakfast was fantastic, wifi is fast, free parking and hosts very friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank david p
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
David, thank you for the thoughtful review and kind words. Here at Modern we truly try to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable, and it always feels great to see it's recognized. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to be seeing you again very soon!