“Friendly place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Friendly place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were visiting only for one night. We are from the U.K and found it much better to stay here than a hotel which is the same as any other hotel anywhere else in the world. There is a friendly welcome, snacks, good breakfast, option to use a washing machine which is helpful when touring around. Lots of helpful advise on places to visit. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable.
A must if you need to stay in Houston.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Thanks for the lovely review... We love our UK guests... The Montrose neighborhood rocks lots of restaurants, bars and museums in walking distance. Hope you visit again if you are every back in H Town.

Cheers!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently had a death in the family and need a place to stay for one night. Modern's website indicated that they had one room but that the policy was for a reservation with a minimum of 3 nights. (Houston has a major convention going on and all other places are booked) I sent an email to Lisa explaining my situation, asking if an exception could be made, after no response via email I decided to call… I felt it was worth a shot. I got Lisa on the first shot, explained who I was, she remembered the email and cut me off stating that she had no rooms and couldn't help; conversation over. There was no expression of sympathy for my loss or suggestion for another hotel or even we hope you consider us in the future. I am very disappointed with the overall experience and will not consider this place for my next visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank VrmSjm1018
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
I’m so sorry for your loss and apologize for being short with you. I had several guests trying to check in when you called and I was receiving another call on the other line. Since we are not a hotel, this can be a one-man-show at times, meaning that we don’t have a front desk person, a reservation person, etc. and this happened to be one of those times where I was completely swamped with many things at once. I hope you can fully understand that this was not personal at all, I am just trying to run my business as smooth and efficiently as I possibly can.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Modern B&B is everything you’d expect and more from a top quality B&B, from the complimentary wine and nibbles every evening to the quirky, stylish rooms, the staff are all very helpful, friendly and courteous, this B&B has all the ingredients to create a relaxed, friendly atmosphere, something I value when spending extended periods of time away from home. Breakfast is great, especially the quiches on Monday’s. I won’t stay anywhere else when in Houston.

1 Thank Riley S
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Thanks for the nice review. We love our awesome guests... Cool guests are what makes the Modern Bb experience at breakfast and sometimes over wine and snacks in the evenings so enjoyable.

Take care
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

You will be charmed, Lisa and her staff are out of a travel adventure novel. You will rest, laugh, and eat delicious food. I only stay at B and B's two weeks out the month for business travel and I must say after trying all the B and B's in Houston I've found my favorite hands down. If your looking for a true Houston experience The Modern has you covered.

2 Thank Marco C
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thanks for the great review, you certainly add character to the B&B. We love our wonderful guests, and we look forward to seeing you again!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I've been staying exclusively at the Modern for over 5 years now, at least 12 times a year. Lisa and her staff are very welcoming and will drag you out to restaurants, runs (she and boyfriend Avi are marathoners) and bars/clubs if you like, and there are 20+ restaurants within a short distance. My favorite: the Alabama Ice House and the tacos from the truck across the street- all outdoor seating and a great place to people watch.

The Modern is not the place if you like a super quiet room or sterile hotel environment, and it's not posh like a Hilton et al, but for me social aspect is paramount. Great breakfast with Roxanne too.

Room Tip: Stay in the Spa if you dare!
1 Thank Bill R
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Bill, thank you for the wonderful post! I'm off to the Boston Marathon tomorrow, and will certainly be grabbing some of those delicious tacos on my way back home (they'll certainly hit the spot after the long run). Look forward to seeing you again!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband loved this B&B. The first night he never went out to dinner, just socialized with some other guests, eating free appetizers and drinking wine. He said it was a very pleasant evening. He sent pictures of the Houston skyline and sunset from one of two terraces in his room.

He wishes it were nearer NYC!

ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Big thanks for the review! I love the view as well, the room isn't called 'Skyline" for nothing! We always appreciate those willing to come out and mingle with the group, give your husband a big thanks for us.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Beautiful building situated within walking distance of the Menil Collection, Rothko museum and an up and coming neighborhood filled with coffee shops, restaurants and boutique interior design and shopping. The neighborhood is still be gentrified so there were construction noises at 1 in the morning.

The chef is great and makes delicious omelets, breakfast spread and happy hour. To me this B&B felt like a modern, grown up hostel. Very cool and innovative concept, but don't expect to be waited on. Lisa, the owner, is very chatty but not the best at hospitality. Our rooms didn't have reading nights, and we had to ask for towels. The bathtub drain had no plug so you couldn't take baths but the shower was spacious and a neat design. The architecture is stunning and there is a huge great room with a tv and interesting artwork. However, the flooring is all wood and the bedroom doors don't reach the bottom of the floor so at 4 am when some other guests came home I woke up because all the noise bounces around the hard surfaces.

Montrose is a great neighborhood and for our first trip to Houston I'm glad we stayed in this location because we could walk to so many cultural locations and restaurants. We went to Jenni's noodle house for Vietnamese, Papacitos for Seafood, and Goode and Co. BBQ for traditional Texas fare. The Black Hole is a nearby coffee shop that is excellent and has vintage, mid-century furniture, and an artsy somewhat upscale University coffee shop feel. Mason's nails is within walking distance and is a great place for a manicure. Canopy is a restaurant within walking distance that looks like it would be delicious for casual, creative texas/american fare. B2 is a nearby interior design and letter press company that is gorgeous. We also spent a day in the West U neighborhood across the highway and it is worth a visit too. The women's boutique Julie Rhodes fashion & home on Edloe Street is beautiful, friendly and offers a variety of clothing, jewelry, shoes, accessories and home goods options. Very affordable luxury. I bought all my spring/summer clothes there.

Overall, if you want to be able to walk and see a lot of art attractions in Montrose the Modern B&B is a great place to stay, but you'll sacrifice some comforts of a hotel and private lodging experience because of the design and set up of the interior space of the B&B. Beds are comfy, but you have to ask for towels, water glasses and basic things like reading lights. For the price, I think you could have a more private, well thought out stay, but the location can't be beat.

Room Tip: We stayed in chickadee and it's adjoining room. We were three and it was a jack and jill bathroo...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank abitlovely
ModernLisa, Owner at Modern B&B, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Nancy, Thanks for the really thoughtful review. I took notes on your suggestions & we just ordered some cool reading lights so hopefully that helps. Most rooms do have them but, your are right the Caymn room has a really artsy lamp that is not so good for reading. Sorry about the towels the Room you stayed in has this towel rack in the bathroom that holds 4 towels and then a rack by the shower that holds 2 more. so 6 towels total. I asked the maids to make sure those racks are full. We do not put water glasses in the rooms but, have a tray of them at the buffet and have larger glasses in the ktichen with ice and water in the fridge door. More like a Bb than a hotel for sure. The bath counter in the Cayman room is not huge so we did nto want to clutter it with glasses. Called my plumber about the tub stopper. Not sure where that went.

it is hard to hear negative comments directed at me like this one: "Lisa, the owner, is very chatty but not the best at hospitality. It is good to take a step back and see how other people see me. My heartfelt apologies. No excuses I will try to improve in this area.

We did not put door sweeps on the doros because he thought it might effect the efficiency fo the air condition ie return air etc. We will add them tothe Cayman and chickadee room and see how that works. You are right there are a lto of hard surfaces and sound does carry expecially in the Cayman/ chickadee room.

Your suggestions for where to eat and what to do are spot on. Very informative.