“Excellent location, very comfortable rooms, highly personalised service and guidance to the city.”
Review of Modern B&B

Modern B&B
Ranked #77 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 10 April 2009

This is the best B&B I have stayed in - it is very comfortable and the food is excellent. Lisa is a very hands on host who will guide you in the right direction to get the most out of your stay. She knows her stuff and has high standards so you can be confident that her tips for food, art, etc etc will ensure you get the most out of you visit. It was a fantastic week. The other plus is that you end up meeting some VERY interesting people. A totally cool place.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 April 2009

Better than a hotel any day. Clean, with lots of wood and windows. Website description is accurate. Main floor is the common area, with individual rooms up and downstairs. My room was sizeable, with an oh so comfortable bed. It was my first time in Houston, and I enjoyed it, I think in part because we stayed at the Modern B&B. The hostess had great recommendations for dinner and the neighborhood was alive, not a sterile tourist area. The breakfast chef offered a full range of options, all really good (the things I tasted). There were interesting other guests, with an option to mingle, or not as you felt.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Great B&B, just stunning!!

Lisa (the owner) is a slice of heaven, she should be cloned and placed at every hotel/B&B in the world.

Breakfast is great, the rooms are awesome, the beds are so soft.

i could go on & on forever but I won't ... bottom line skip the Hilton, Hyatt, Omni, any 4 or 5 star hotel and stay at the Modern B & B .

Oh yeah and tell Lisa, Kristi say "hi" :)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Modern B&B was one of my best lodging experiences. When traveling to the Houston area I normally stay in the Clear Lake. My normal hotels in clear Lake were damaged in the last hurricane and I was forced to go outside my comfort zone, so glad I did. The drive to Ellington Field was an easy one. This was my first stay and Lisa greeted and treated me like a long lost friend. The breakfasts are gourmet with fresh baked pastries each morning, eggs to order, yogurt, homemade granola, fruit smoothies and on and on. Looked forward to returning each night to the table to enjoy beer and wine with Lisa (the hostess of the mostess) and the other guests. Modern B&B is located very close to many great bars and restaurants. The rooms are very comfortable, WIFI throughout, full kitchens to use whenever you want. I will never stay anywhere other than Modern B&B for my future trips to Houston. Thanks for the great stay, Colt

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2008

While moving to Houston, I stayed at this great bed and breakfast for a week. I normally stay at hotels. My room was clean and comfortable and I was surprised at how quickly I felt at home in the spacious common areas. Breakfast was fabulous. One day the chef served an egg dish with a caviar sauce. Another day was a fancy fertata. There were always alternate choices available. The decks for the top rooms were awesome (although I didn't stay there I got a tour) and there was a fitness room on the bottom floor. The way Modern B & B is structured made it easy to feel at home without feeling as if I were in someone else's home, which I really liked. The furnishings were very nice, but not so fancy I was afraid of ruining something by putting a drink on the nightstand, for example. I would definitely recommend Modern B & B if traveling to Houston. I liked the neighborhood and it was easy to get to pretty much everywhere.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2008

my wife and i stayed there for a week. houston was totally overcrowded and overbooked, and we reserved late. so we only spent half our stay in the main b&b, which was lovely and fun. the second half was in an associated apartment a mile+ away, which was functional.

the b&b is a great very modern space of white walls, variously angled, with glass and steel over soft wooden floors and stairs. it has eight very nice to great rooms, good folk, good food, fun international guests, good wifi (hey, i am a geek and had to work), ... there is even a large very large and luxurious suite for the mod honeymooners.

the food was really good and they accommodated my low carb needs as a type-2 diabetic. good wine and snacks were laid out for the evening. a subset of the guests seem to go party in the evenings (we had family obligations).

as i am an engineer, i have to mention that there are small gl!iches. housekeeping is not impeccable, so ask for another towel if you want one. it is not organized with military precision, go stay at the intercontinental. another reviewer complained of the lack of someone to carry one's luggage, but we don't expect this of a b&b (there is a lift to get to upper floors).

we will definitely stay there again. it is now our preferred houston stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randy B
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hosts were just wonderful and really wanted to make sure I had a great time. The building itself was beautiful. They were prepping for a magazine shoot when I stayed and they made sure none of the preparations got in the way of the guests. Some of the rooms they have are wonderfully unique so be sure to ask about them. I walked from there to the Menil collection and the Rothko Chapel. Do NOT miss the restored Byzantine Chapel just south of the Menil. Liked it better than the Rothko. I'm a little horrified at some of the negativity I've seen in other reviews. I found both the place and the people completely charming.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo