“Nice property, service at front desk is lacking..”

Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District
Ranked #6 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Had the opportunity to stay at this property this week. Must say that I loved the property as a whole. I had a suite on the 6th floor. At $309/night, I found that to be a good price. Bed was comfortable, air conditioning worked great and the hotel, while full, was fairly quiet. I recommend the hotel based on the sleep quality and the overall property appearance. One area for improvement is in the fitness area. The elliptical trainers, Life Fitness, were a very old model. I found them outdated for a property of this magnitude. There also was not a fitness ball in gym. I found that odd as well. One big area for improvement is in service at the front desk. The overall friendliness lacked polish, but what really stood out was when I asked for assistance with car service back to Bush airport. I spoke with someone Wednesday nite about the car service. She told me what company they used and asked for my number so they could call. After an hour I did not hear from them. I called the front desk around 9:30 to ask for help again and was told that they had no recommendation but that there were cabs available. After telling her I was not interested in a cab (bad experience in Houston), she told me I could look up in the phone book for a couple of companies and then put me on hold. She came back and said she would give me a number to call and I could set it up. While I don't mind making the call, a property this exclusive should be working to accommodate their guest. I will be traveling back to Houston but will weigh my other choices on hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Brian B!

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit at Hotel ZaZa. I am pleased to read that you found your suite comfortable during your stay.

In regards to updates in the fitness center, I will have a word with my team about the equipment!
Also, I will make certain my front desk team is refreshed on the standards of ZaZa regarding guest services. I apologize for the less than satisfactory service you received regarding transportation scheduling. Such an incident will not arise again in the future I can assure you.

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

….for hotel only. Its also a popular hot spot and the crowd it brings….well……I´ll move on and rate the hotel….it´s a fun place, rooms are themed, decent balcony, roomy and very comfortable beds. The parking is expensive, but you can come and go, so its convenient. I never waited long for my car. Staff is nice, very professional. Overall, it was a good time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShawnnnaLee
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

ShawnnnaLee,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit at Hotel ZaZa. I am happy to read that you received excellent service during your stay! Comfort & top-notch service is key at the Z.

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you. We love ya at ZaZa!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

OK, so here's the deal: unfortunately our trip to the medical center in Houston was under stressful and sad circumstances. we made the mistake the first night of staying at the not-as-convenient-as-one-might-think Marriott in the medical center. what a hole. sorry, the rates they charge for the quality of accommodations is outrageous. They treated us very rudely and unprofessionally. So for the rest of our stay (for almost the same rate!) we spent in luxury at Hotel Zaza down the street. WORTH EVERY PENNY. they know how to treat people! they have a coffee station on every floor by 6am so you can stumble out of bed, put on the bathrobe and slippers, and get delicious fresh coffee without leaving your floor. Genius! the parking/cocktail/breakfast package is the way to go. highly recommend.

Room Tip: pay attention to the notes on their website---they are very clear about which rooms are noisier and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

jamaicatee!

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit at Hotel ZaZa. I am pleased to read that you had a nice stay at the Za. Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z!

In regards to the Butler's Pantry, I am happy you enjoyed the yummy coffee! The complimentary tea & coffee service is available for guests on every guest floor.

Please touch base when when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The moment I arrived at Hotel ZaZa Houston the service was exceptional. We previously celebrated Valentines Day at Hotel ZaZa Dallas, so we had high expectations from the Museum District Location. As we checked in we were told that our room had been upgraded to one of the Magnificent 7 suites. We were excited as we had stayed in a concept suite at the Dallas location and were blown away at the size and amenities. The Fatal Charms suite is one of the best hotel suites I have ever stayed in. It included a wet bar, over sized tub and shower, dining room table, a wall window view of downtown Houston, Bose stereo system, flat screens, a luxurious sitting area, and a king size bed. The complimentary bottle of champagne upon our arrival was icing on the cake. We were able to celebrate my 30th birthday in style. The atmosphere at the hotel was friendly as well as upscale. My wife arranged a massage for me at the Za spa which was AMAZING. The next morning we ate brunch at the Monarch which was excellent. It turned out to be one of the best birthdays I have had and I owe it all to the management and staff at ZaZa Houston. When I am ready to treat myself, I will always be a guest at ZaZa. You owe it to yourself to experience this hotel!

Room Tip: Let the front desk know what you are celebrating to make sure they treat you special!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

James J!

Thank you for the fantastic review. I am happy to read that you had a wonderful stay at Hotel ZaZa recently! The Z is definitely the place to celebrate any special occasion! I am glad you had an enjoyable 30th birthday at ZaZa.

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you. We love ya!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

OMG, the service especially Victor in the ballroom, is so over the top on service! I cannot say how much this Hotel went so far above and beyond it is not funny! If you have not stayed here you gotta!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Katycoog!

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I am pleased to read that you had a nice stay at Hotel ZaZa recently. Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z! I will definitely commend Victor for providing superb service to you during your stay at the hotel.

Please touch base when you are ready to z-scape back to ZaZa, as I will have my team create a signature experience for you. We love ya!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I should have written this a couple of months ago right when it happen but just getting caught up on reviews. Let me begin by saying we love the hotel itself and have usually had a great time there. The pool on Sundays is Houston's mini version of The Delano in South Beach, however it sometimes does get a little "European"...
Anyway we book a weekend stay at The Zaza on Hotels.com for one of the amazing corner suites. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and I had my confirmation as well as my booking number from Hotels.com. Well the front desk staff couldn't find our reservation...So I think well they can figure it out...after ten minutes of them "looking" and (for some reason) refusing to even look at my confirmation number) they said its not there and I'm basically out of luck. Uuuummmm Ok, let me speak with the manager, whom I JUST saw disappear thru the door behind the desk. I waited and waited and waited after have a half hour I went back and asked what the heck is he doing? I called Hotels.com and they called the hotel and are getting put on eternal hold and even disconnected (take that as hung up on). This manager WOULD.NOT.COME.OUT.AND.DO HIS JOB!! Unbelievable! We waited one and a half hours! Even Hotels.com gave up...the desk staff was apparently very embarrassed of his actions, or lack there of, but they went into ignore the customer mode. Finally we gave up and had to drive back home. The room was completely paid for...and was expensive mind you, and it took a few days just to get a refund from Hotels.com. Its ashamed that someone in his position cant do his job and clear up what would be an easy task to at least keep a long time client coming back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Montecore1
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Montecore1,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit at Hotel ZaZa. I apologize for the miscommunication and service issues at the front desk. Such an occurrence is definitely not the norm at the hotel. I will have a word with my front office team regarding your experience so that such an incident does not arise again in the future.

Please touch base with me when you have an opportunity, as I would like to gather more details concerning your stay at the hotel.

Ian H. Bush
Hotel Manager
Hotel ZaZa
IBush@hotelzaza.com

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I recently organized a small symposium in Houston, and local staff recommended hotel Zaza as the best choice for my guests. They were right. After intense meetings during the days, what a delight to return to a hotel where the staff made you feel truly welcome, and the food and beverages were both well above par. In my international travels, the bartender on duty my first night was the best i have ever experienced. She was exceptional. Add to the excellent service a flair for the unique, with photographs and art that offered a cheeky, post-modern interpretation on life and the experience was memorable in every positive sense of the word. in one of my conversations with three staff members, one of them exclaimed that the owner really took pride in his establishments, and that of all of the establishments in which she had worked Hotel Zaza was truly her best experience. Kudos to the owner and to management!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston Museum District, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

PeterDYYZ!

Thank you for the awesome review! I am pleased to read that you had a wonderful experience at Hotel ZaZa recently. Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z!

Please touch base when you are ready to z-scape back to ZaZa. We love ya!