“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I spent our wedding night here in 2010 and had a fabulous time. We stayed again this past Monday and again had a great time. The Monarch restaurant always has a fresh and different menu. We also received a great couples massage at ZaSpa as well. Rooms were clean and comfy. Mini bar items were overpriced, but that's common for hotels such as these. We'll definitely Stay Zaza again in the future!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
janesaizan!

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! I am happy to read that you and your husband had a fabulous time at Hotel ZaZa recently. The Monarch is definitely all about being fresh and delicious.

In regards to ZaSpa, I am happy you and your husband had a great couples massage!

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya at ZaZa!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Have been staying at the ZaZa for almost 7 years now for business, this is one of the best run and comfortable facilities I have ever stayed. Proximity to Rice Village is great for meals and shopping, but I usually eat at the hotel, always excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Tim H!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback. I am pleased to read that your visits to Hotel ZaZa over the last seven years have been delightful! Comfort & excellent service are key at the Z.

Please touch base when your travels return you to Houston, as I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya!
Giddings, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have stayed here a few times, most recently in early August, for a business trip. The rooms are average for a nice, upscale hotel, no better.

In my opinion, you come here for the amenities and the quirkiness. This last trip I had a room overlooking the pool on the 4th floor. The room was large and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was oddly laid out- to sit on the toilet required about the same maneuvering as getting in and out of the back seat of a Mini Cooper. My knees were against the wall in front of the toilet while seated on the throne. The other weird thing is how hot it gets at night in the room. I compared notes with two colleagues on the trip with me- both have experienced the same thing on each stay at this property (we're thinking AC is cut back during the night to save money and/or the planet). It's annoying to wake up sweating with the thermostat set on 68.

The lounge is very good. The restaurant is good. The shuttle service convenient. Those amenities and the funky décor are what the Zaza better than other similar grade properties in Houston.

I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
C B,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel ZaZa. I am pleased to read that you find the restaurant, lounge, shuttle, amenities & decor of the Z delightful!

In regards to the layout of the bathroom, I apologize that you felt the space was tight. I will have a word with my engineering team regarding your experience.

New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

So based on the reviews I tried the ZaZa a month ago while I was here for business. The lobby was great - check in was friendly, but rigid - meaning what types of upgrades do you have available?

"I'm sorry we have nothing else available." Now, I'm no detective, but it always throws me off when someone gives me an answer without checking. So, I did the diligence myself - yes there were other rooms available. So I move on and check into my room. Tiny and somewhat worn - not impressive to say the least.

So the next few trips I stay elsewhere. On a whim this week decided to try the zaza. Booked the room, check in was slightly more accommodating this time - I asked about other options and he checked. Got to the room, - slightly better than the previous stay - a balcony room, which is more spacious than the previous room, but to be honest the rooms could use some work - fairly simple upkeep, but noticeable.

The only advice I'd offer would be to request a high floor. It's Houston, the view is nothing to write home about regardless, but at least offers you some green space.

All in all, I like the hotel - wish they were more informative about upgrades, by no means do I expect them to be free either - perfectly happy to pay, would just like to know what's available.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Paulix_Troy
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights in July/August. It's a quirky place, making a lot of 'having fun' and all that. There is plenty of photos hanging on the walls, some of which are plain inappropriate. For some reason the bathroom featured scantily dressed women. The rooms are spacious, bedding is superb, flat screen tv etc. None of this justifies the price per night tho. The facilities are nowhere near high end. There isn't even a coffee maker in the room. They offer complimentary coffee in the morning only, for some reason to do with 'having fun', no doubt. The restaurant offers well-priced quality food during the day. Breakfast is overpriced, offers no buffet. It is also not included in the price of the room. WiFi is, but for some reason you need to login in anew every day. Annoying. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service within a few mile radius. You will need this, as there is nothing much around it at night, other than museums. The pool is too small, given the size of the hotel, it seems typically populated with loud hipsters. There's is also a table tennis table, meaning you watch all the time for high-speed balls hit by some drunk guy in some random direction. I tried the pool a few times, but eventually conceded defeat and retreated to the room. Staff are invariably friendly and try their best to assist. Not all appear to be trained well. Once the breakfast I ordered had roughly half the ingredients mentioned on the menu. When I asked what happened, I was told they didn't have them on the day. The price didn't quite reduce by half in line with the product. Gives you an idea of the kind of place this is. A lot of show, but it wears thin quickly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank udo s
ZaZaHouston, Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Mr. Schuklenk,

Thanks for the note and your candid comments! I love your profile photo of busily working at the Mac! We are typically spot on with our travelers by making coffee and tea available at our butler pantries each morning. Usually this is perceived as a luxury when compared to other hotels as the last thing folks typically want to do is make coffee each morning in a coffee maker that who knows when the last time it was thoroughly cleaned. We like to think of it as a luxury and a convenience. I apologize if you did not feel the same way. I have updated your guest history for a coffee maker and set up to be placed in your room for your next visit!

Complimentary wireless is a good thing! We were one of the first hotel companies to implement free wireless access throughout our hotels. What a way to nickle and dime a guest.... I hate that when I travel! In order to protect you and the bandwidth of our system, the network will timeout a connection after a certain period of inactivity and will prompt for another login iteration. Not too taxing of a process but I understand your annoyance nonetheless.

With respect to our location, we do offer our long-horned Denali car service within a 5 mile radius as you are right we are nestled in the quiet museum district adjacent to Hermann Park and Rice University. We feel this is a competitive advantage to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city yet we are right in the middle of it all and what a way to be shuttled and make an entrance!

We are a very popular wedding destination for locals and out-of -towners, alike. Our wedding parties love to enjoy the pool area on the weekend, young and old and all ages in between. I apologize that you had to contend with a wayward ping pong ball or two!

Finally, the restaurant. I will have the team pull your check and do research immediately! Unacceptable to say the least If you will contact me directly for more details, I would love to learn more and have a chance to make things right by you. Mnuss@hotelzaza.com or 713.639.4555.

Thanks again for your comments!

Matthew Nuss
EVP Hotel ZaZa
Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I stayed one night at Hotel ZaZa. The atmosphere is very nice, indoors and out. The pool area is very relaxing, the restaurant is excellent and the service is great. However, they forbid bringing in your own alcohol, smoking on balconies or even using the valet dolly to move your luggage to your room. My first ten minutes was literally an experience of being told what I can't do rather than the positive expectation one would have when staying at such a reputable place. The hotel is nice, the experience was pretty stuffy for friendly Texas.

Room Tip: Poolside is great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Overall, it reads as if you were pretty satisfied with your stay! That is a good thing! With respect to the "rules", I can offer some more texture for you and our audience. Typically, smoking these days is a can't win situation in a hotel. The overwhelming majority of our travelers do not like smoke, balconies are no exception. Smoke travels very readily to an adjacent balcony or back into the guestroom when on a balcony and smoking. In addition, the city of Houston has enacted many ordinances with respect to smoking that we typically like to err on the side of caution so we are a non-smoking hotel, balconies and pool area included. My apologies.

Outside alcohol...often a topic of our FAQs! We have a liquor license and with that liquor license comes great responsibility and regulation. Again, we like to err on the side of caution, especially when it comes to alcohol and restrict the inventory of alcohol to the product solely purchased through our license. This creates a more enjoyable environment for the majority of our guests as well as our associates..

Finally, the bell carts. We love to make you feel pampered when staying with us! We don't want you to lift a finger, from making coffee for you each morning at our butler pantries to delivering and retrieving your luggage. We don't want you to work at all!

Please drop me a note at mnuss@hotelzaza.com or feel free to call me directly at 713.639.4555 before your next visit and we will take it from there!

Thanks for staying ZaZa!

Matthew Nuss
Executive VIce President
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here, for one weekend, late last fall. We actually live here in Houston and just wanted a little weekend getaway. Hotel ZaZa is in a great location with many restaurants, shopping, etc., very close by. We did not check out the Monarch during our stay but room service was great. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We would definitely return for another stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Nuss, Executive Vice President at Hotel ZaZa Houston, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
H A!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback. I am pleased to read that you and your wife had a wonderful visit at Hotel ZaZa last fall! Comfort & excellent service is key at the Z.

Check out the eclectic & delicious atmosphere of the Monarch at your next visit! I will have my team roll out the reddest of red carpets upon your arrival. We love ya at ZaZa!