“Maybe 4.9 stars, definitely an excellent place”

Courtyard Houston by The Galleria
Ranked #144 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
harker heights, tx
“Maybe 4.9 stars, definitely an excellent place”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I don't like to give out five stars unless a place is really deserving. But in debating rather this is five stars or four, there were way too many pros that outweighed the cons, and the front desk staff made the difference.

There is absolutely no doubt that Sydney at the front desk cares about making you feel very welcome. She seems to go above and beyond and she treats her guest as if they were visiting her own home.
It's hard to describe her without seeing her in action, but when she tells you "if you need anything just call me" you know she takes that seriously and means it.
Though she was the only person I dealt with, the gentleman at the front desk was also just as friendly and helpful with his guests at check in, and took time to greet me and make sre everything was great anytime I passed through the lobby.

The room itself was good. A comfortable bed and a small couch I could have just as easily fell asleep on. It was well maintained and clean.
The only slight imperfection I saw was along the bottom of the outside of the shower and the bathroom baseboards. There were a few scuff marks or uncleaned areas. But these are things 90% of the guests won't notice, but could still be cleaned.

That and a little difficulty finding the entrance (Sage is a busy street near the Galleria, so the entrance sign could be overlooked).
My only other issue was early morning on the day of checkout. Normally when I plan to sleep in I'll put the do not disturb sign out, but failed to this time, thinking I'd be gone by 8 a.m. Instead I slpt in and housekeeping knocked close to 9 a.m. Just waking up I didn't answer the door and decided to snooze a bit more. At 9:15 a.m. they knocked again.I think a 15-20 minute window between knocks is a bit unnecessary.
I'm also not a fan of hotel parking fees, though I understand them...especially this close to the galleria. and other shopping venues.
But again, otherwise this hotel is great..

A couple of helpful hints for first-time guests: 1. The hotel has entrances on both Sage and Rice Street. Sage can be busy at times due to it running by the Galleria. Rice is more of a residential street and is often empty, so consider entering and exiting on it, especially on a busy shopping weekend. 2. The hotel is side by side to another hotel and both have parking garages. I hit the wrong garage coming back from dinner the first night, and saw at least one other person do the same.

My next trip to Houston, this will definitely be among my top choices of places to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
WOW! What an impressive review! Your feedback very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to do this review. We can't wait to have you back at our hotel again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Humble, Texas, USA
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Had a Mother/daughter weekend of shopping, dining; just a getaway. Our stay at this hotel was perfect! The front desk staff went out of their way to make our weekend special. While there we enjoyed a movie, and took advantage of their excellent buffet breakfast. Their close proximity to the Galleria area was the reason we chose this hotel. Great decision.

• Stayed July 2014
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for the excellent review! We are so happy to be apart of your weekend getaway. We hope to see you back here again for another visit. Thank you for staying with us.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I want to give a special thanks to Sydney Garcia and Ebony Atkins as they were wonderful in performing their duties in welcoming guests. They, along with several other staff mad my trip to Houston a great experience. The room was clean and comfortable and I slept well after all that dancing I was doing! lol. Thank you again Sydney and Ebony and thank you CMHG for a welcome stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for recognizing a couple of our assocaites. Like Sydney and Ebony we all take great pride in our hotel. We are so happy we had a chance to serve you during your stay. I also think you created a great hashtag for us #CMHG. Thank you again for the review.
New Jersey
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Hotel was great - nice and clean with friendly staff, but not really any frills that set it apart - just what we were looking for. It was a little hidden back behind another building so you don't really see it from the road. You have to watch carefully for the sign and then drive down the alley that looks like it's belongs to the other building. Aside from finding it the first time, the price and location were great. It was the best value in the area. We were looking for something nice without extra frills and price. I would highly recommend it, if that's what you're looking for. Parking was supposedly extra but we weren't charged when we checked out. I would check rates directly with the hotel before booking online. I paid in advance with Expedia thinking I was getting the best rate but when I checked out the hotel bill showed an even lower rate (including taxes, etc) but was already paid via Expedia. I was still very happy with the rate I got, but disappointed that I could have gotten it even lower.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank viabrera
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to do a review on our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. At the same time we want to be better and make it a memorable stay for all our guests. We will look to do this the next time you stay with us. We also apologize for the receipt discrepancy you witnessed. I can assure you; you received a great value for your stay. We hope to see you back at our hotel again in the near future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A modern style Courtyard, without a courtyard, in a great area. My key criteria for a hotel is how good do I sleep in the hotel. This hotel was quiet and the beds were very comfortable. I slept well all week, mission accomplished. The rooms were clean and in nice shape. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. My only complaint was the old fashioned buffet. Most Courtyards have gone to the Bistro and I prefer that. Although the buffet had a lot of choice, the service was very slow. Had to wait a while for the coffee and check on several occasions. Not enough staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank theebdk
Jon G, General Manager at Courtyard Houston by The Galleria, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad to hear your stay was peaceful. We apologize for the service during breakfast. We will look into improving this area of service for our future guests. Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We hope to see you back at our hotel soon.
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

On a recent visit to the NASA space centre I decided to spend a couple of nights at his comfortable hotel with members of my family. We had a very good stay and could pick no fault, not that we were looking for something to complain about as many people do. The staff were very friendly and attentive, the food was good though nothing special and breakfast was wonderful. Because of the relaxed atmosphere we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Houston. Maybe many others who complain should come of their high pedestals of virtuousness and try to enjoy life a bit more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Roman S
Thank you for the excellent review. We are so happy we had a chance to serve you when you were in Houston. It is our mission to provide the best service possible while providing a clean hotel to our guests. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you back at our hotel again soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The stay was fine until check out. Had one night using a certificate and one at AAA rate, both nights included parking and breakfast. Upon checkout got a bill for parking but nothing else. I told him parking was included--he said he would credit me. I asked him about the second night, he said no charge for the entire stay. I said fine. Three days later i had a charge for the parking AND for one night stay.....one on my credit card on file with Marriott when I made the reservation and one on the card i gave them when i checked in. Called hotel six times before i ever got to someone who actually knew what to do---he credited the parking and moved the room charge to the right card. He blamed all the previous errors on lack of training and took responsibility for it--that is to his credit. What I don't understand is why they had ill trained staff on a busy holiday weekend.

I have more than 1,000 marriott nights and I will not be spending another one here. If he had wanted to really address the problem and my continued frustration and time I spent trying to get this straightened out, he would have credited me the one night's charge, too. That's what a Marriott corporate owned property would have done. Guess the franchisee is too cheap.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to do a review of your stay. I am glad we had a chance to talk and get your issues resolved. We really hope to see you back at our hotel in the future. Thank you for staying with us.