“The staff is excellent!”

MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park
Ranked #172 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Dothan, Alabama, United States
“The staff is excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

I have not experienced anything horrible like some of the reviews I have read. The room is spacious with a full refrigerator, a dishwasher, small burners, microwave, and some dishes. It has a sofa, nice size closet, and basically everything we needed. There is a DVD player and complimentary DVDs that can be checked out.
I would like to mention the shuttle drivers, Ed and Henderson are 2 of the nicest people I have met in Houston. Mr. Ed saw me coming in from the airport, hugged me and ask if I needed to get to any appointments that day. The same day, there were a few things that had been reported wrong with my room by the previous guest, and the maintenance man, Michael, introduced himself and fixed what was wrong. Very nice people.
The shuttle pickup to and from the airport is worth the stay here. That is a savings of at least 40 per trip.
I will be staying here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Port Arthur, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Recently my party of three; a medical needs member, handicapped wheel chair mobility impaired member and I have a need for weekly visits to the Houston Medical Center. So, as a service to others who may find themselves in this unfortunate situation, I am taking the time to review our stays at available lodging.

Booked a 4 night stay in a King Deluxe Accessible w/Roll in shower DIRECTLY from this hotel and received email confirmation about a week in advance secured with my credit card. Upon arrival front desk staff told me only a standard king was reserved for my party and there were no notes re accessibility. When I prepared to show my email confirmation front desk staff called manager. Front desk told me the unit I booked was occupied and the best she could offer was a Queen Deluxe Accessible w/ tub at a reduced rate, and she would try to move us to the unit I booked the next night. After our almost 3 hours on the highway, I accepted.

The queen bed positioned higher than usual and the mattress slipped on the foundation. I did not realize how much it slipped until our handicapped member slipped down and hit his head on the night stand as he hit the floor when he tried to get out of bed without assistance. He normally gets out of be on his own, so I was not vigilant in taking extra precautions in this unit. His injury was not severe, but our anxiety level increased. I padded the corner of the nightstand with a pillow and cautioned him re entering/leaving the bed without one of us standing by and stabilizing the mattress.

The following morning after giving the handicapped member his 06:00 medication I discovered I had forgotten bread for toast for his breakfast. I had the rest of our breakfast but forgot the bread. The medical member was NPO in preparation for her pending surgical procedure and I was still unhappy with the circumstances. So, I decided to go to the ADVERTISED COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST and get a couple of slices of bread. Upon entering the dining area I was immediately confronted by a member of the staff who I supposed was the breakfast hostess. She told me the complimentary breakfast was for guests. I wondered what there was about ME that made her feel the necessity to point that out to me. Further, she said no food could be removed from the dining area, and then she pointed to a sign that was posted on an inner wall. When I explained that I would speak with the manager about preventing me from taking food to my handicapped member who I would have to help dress, get him in his wheelchair and onto the elevator from the 3rd floor just to get 2 slices of bread the staff replied there was no need for a manager, the rule is posted and a rule is a rule. After a pause, the staff said THIS time I will allow it, but a rule is a rule.

By now I was ACTIVELY searching for another suitable lodging. Because the hospital would not discharge a surgical patient unless another person checks her/him out to drive home, it was necessary that I get the handicapped member into his wheelchair then into the special van and drive to the hospital to checkout the medical member. As we passed the front desk, a different staff stopped me to ask if I wanted to transfer to the unit I had reserved. I declined. I told her I was sure we could either shorten our stay or find appropriate lodging then I continued on to the hospital. I returned with the medical member, parked and told her to go on to the room and try to relax. I could get the handicapped member up to the room, alone. At the room the medical member was standing in the hall at the door because her card key did not open the door. I tried my card key and it failed, too. I walked down to the front desk and told staff that our card keys were cancelled. She said I must have done something to demagnetize BOTH keys like placing them near a credit card or cell phone. I did not dignify that statement with a response. I waited as she manipulated her register and swipe the cards multiple times for a few seconds. She shoved the “recharged” cards in my direction without looking my way. I took the cards, entered the room and send email feedback re my ongoing horrid experiences in the hotel.

We stayed the second fitful night because the medical member had to take her weekly treatment the next morning; however, it was unanimous that we would checkout immediately after her treatment and drive home, no matter how late it was. While she was in treatment, I packed up our belongings and awaited her return from treatment. Because her treatment extended into the posted check-in time, I expected to pay for the 3rd night even though we had no intention of using the room for the night. I asked for a receipt and we checked out around 17:00. The front desk staff gave be a receipt and said she was only charging for 2 nights at the reduced rate.

A day or so after returning home I received an email alert from my credit card company re a large transaction. MainStay Medical had charged the full cost of my 4-night booked reservation. Further, there was a pending additional charge at the full daily rate that coincided with the timing of the card key “recharge” of our room keys on the reduced rate unit. I sent additional feedback re billing. I will not go into the unproductive telephone call I received as a reply to my feedback. I suggest you not waste time with that mechanism.

Ultimately, the billing was corrected and I was charged for 2 nights and not 3 nights. The facility was within their legal rights to charge for 3.

Pros: Automatic doors to permit easy access by mobility impaired guests
Enough space to move around in the room with a walker
Kitchenette with adequate equipment
Quiet
Close to the Medical Center

Cons: Poor check-in and reservation handling
Misleading advertising re complimentary breakfast and inadequate signage outside of dining area
Insensitive or incompetent staff on some duty shifts
One each of the two available laundry machines was out of order
Shuttle Service does not come close to the quality of the LaQuinta Reliant Shuttle Service, but better than the poor quality Crowne Plaza Reliant Shuttle Service

Room Tip: I do not intend to try and stay at this particular MainStay, and after talking with Choice Hotel Cus...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Pamela J W
gmtx933, General Manager at MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank You for taking the time to review us here. We know your time is valuable, and that you had other options in lodging in the area.

We sincerely apologize for the issues with your stay that you faced during your brief experience with us. I was out of town for the Choice convention during your stay but in speaking to my assistant she tried her best to accommodate your needs. Due to sanitary reasons we do ask for breakfast to be served and eaten in designated area, however we do make exceptions for guest who are not able to come down which the staff did do and they were also accommodating by extending your stay until 5pm without any additional charge. I do apologize that our hotel and policies were not to your standard. We on a daily basis strive to better our hotel for our guest.. If you wish to speak more about your experience please feel free to contact me directly.
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We were in Houston for two weeks for medical evaluations at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. We were looking for accommodations that were comfortable, clean, convenient, but not too expensive. Mainstay Suites-Medical Center fit the bill. The rooms fully met our criteria, and even included a small kitchette and DVD players. The complimentary breakfast buffet was not gourmet, but was way better than fast food and had ample choices. The complimentary shuttle service was great and got us to and from most of the places we wanted to go. The staff at this hotel went the extra mile to be friendly and accommodating. We were grateful that they could be flexible about our check-out date since that hinged on the medical situation. We will stay there again on our next visit to MDA.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LoyalCubsFan
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This was our first time here. Had appointment at MDA. Arrived at Hotel a little early from out of town, .Front desk said room is not ready yet let's see what we can do for you . We had our room in
10 minutes . Love this place already . Very friendly staff very clean and comfortable room .The hot breakfast each morning was very good . The friendly and knowable drivers they have to drive the courtesy shuttles they are "Awesome" . This hotel Main Stay Suites Medical Center has a great location only 1mile from MDA ...... Now that's great. So we have been staying here for all my appt.
So friendly here it's like being at home .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank socialbutterfly55
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

My mother, father and sister checked in to this hotel on Saturday, April 20th. We had two rooms for 9 days while my mom was going to have surgery. When they got to their room they had to climb over equipment in the hallway that was right across from their room. They went to the front desk to ask what the equipment was for. They were told that someone had smoked in the room and they had to clean it out. My sister took a picture of the equipment and googled it. The equipment is used for cleaning a room with bedbugs! The person at the front desk then said he didn't know anything about it and they would have to talk with the maintenance man. When they asked him he said, "Who told you that?" When they explained how they found out he was not happy. They refunded the money and let them check out.
I am the one who had made the reservations for our family. I even went on the national website for bedbugs where you check to see if the hotel you want to stay at is listed, it was not. The biggest problem I have with all of this is that they lied about what the problem was. I was to check in on Sunday, April 22nd. My mom was staying here for 3 nights before she was to go in for surgery. We could have very easily taken them into the hospital!
We will now be listing them on the bedbug website.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Janarb
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have been going to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston for four months now, and stayed at three different hotels. Last week I found the best value for those that fly into Houston Hobby Airport.

The greatest thing is the fifty dollars saved on transportation to, and from the airport. They also provide a free shuttle to, and from MD Anderson..

The MainStay Suites Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park is by far the best value. It is very clean, quiet, and have a good breakfast offering. Each room has a small kitchen, and they have a pantry area near the front desk that offers many frozen, and canned food meals.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Waterman_10
gueydan, louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were pleasantly surprised on our stay at this hotel.........the units were nice and clean with full size frig and nice little kitchen area. the breakfast downstairs was good with plenty to choose from. the staff was very helpful and friendly and the location was easy to get to and from.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends