“A bit of France in Houston”

Brasserie Max & Julie
Ranked #615 of 8,206 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Neartown/ Montrose
Cross street: Richmond
Transit: There is a Metro bus line stop in front of the restaurant.
Porter, Texas
“A bit of France in Houston”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Ate lunch here on Friday and was very impressed. Excellent food and service was good. We had the roast chicken and vegetables and the grilled trout with legumes. The sauce on the roasted chicken was incredible. Excellent French bread and a nice grenache wine. They have the same menu for lunch that they have for dinner just like a Parisian Brasserie.

I read the wine list sine we plan on coming back for dinner. Wines were reasonably priced; about $40 for a Mourchon cotes du Rhone and $81 for a nice Chateauneuf du Pape. Very reasonable indeed. Can't wait to get here for dinner.

• Visited March 2014

uae
“A birthday let down”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The food and service here were just ok. We wouldn't rush back.
We started with a goat cheese salad and mussels with apple soup. Both were delicious....
We wished we would have stopped at this point as the rest of our meal turned out to be a let down.

The Duck and Skate were ordered for our entrees. The presentation of both were ok but the duck leg tasted as if it had been sitting for the entire day and then reheated as the skin on the leg was not crispy and sweet as the traditional French honey duck usually is . We have eaten this dish several times in France and also in North America so we had a good idea of what to expect.
I had hoped the Breast of the duck would have been better as it appeared to be cooked correctly.Unfortunately, it was not . The breast was extreamly tough to cut and chew. Perhaps I should have known this when a steak knife was put in front of me.
When we informed the waitress about the duck we were given a look of surprise.
The Skate had potential but unfortunately the fish did not taste as fresh as it should have.

We ended our meal with what we were told was a heavenly chocolate soufflé that had to be ordered in advance. This too was a let down as the chef forgot to add the chocolate to the soufflé ,you could tell by merely looking at the color of the soufflé but the taste confirmed what we expected.. It was not added.The soufflé still had a nice taste but it was more like eating a bread pudding than than a chocolate soufflé . Again we informed the waitress. Rather than offering to make us a new one or remove it she simply brought us some melted chocolate . Pathetic ... Truely pathetic especially for a French resturant .
On a positive note the waitress knew the menu well and was friendly.
However , For $130.00 better food quality and service is expected than what we were given at Bistro Max and Julie.
If you are looking for decent French food in and around the Houston area .. Go to Humble Texas.

• Visited February 2014
Houston, Texas
“French lunch = good lunch”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Simple lunch menu - sandwiches, a few hot dishes, desserts, wine and beer. Great prices, professional service. Small space with happy, smiling customers. Aspiring writer waiter. Hope to be back soon.

Visited January 2014
Houston, Texas
“Too Filthy for me...”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife was craving French cuisine this past weekend. Our first choice was booked up so I had heard of Max and Julies and thought we could try it. Made a reservation for 7:00 We arrived on time to find a mainly empty restaurant, and were shown to our table right away. In order to have more tables in they have a long booth type bench against a wall with "two top" tables and a chair on the outside. She squeezed in between two other people. I politely asked if there was something else and the hostess rudely said no. So one side are two ladies on their smart phone looking up airline flights and the other side was two fellas with roaming eyes. In fact the tables are so close together that when one of the men next to us got up to used the restroom his backside almost dragged out table cloth along with the dishes to the floor.
There is no intimacy, no romance and no privacy...it felt like we were at a Denny's or something. Makes me wonder why with a restaurant full of empty tables we had to be seated practically in someone's lap. I got up to use the restroom myself and was discussed of how dirty it was, I took pics but will spare you. I cam back and sat down and found a filthy menu laying on my dinner plate (see pics) it was a porous paper, stained, ripped and just plain disgusting. I looked down at my plate and it also was filthy (see pics). The kicker was as I was taking the photo the waitress looked right at me and I said.."Just taking a picture of this dirty plate for my review", ya know what she did? Nothing! Didn't appolige or even bring me a new one! At that point we decided that we were just going to leave...so we did.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Montecore1
The Woodlands, Texas
“Takes Themselves Entirely Too Seriously ~”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The atmosphere is supposed to mirror a French café, but I found it much more stuffy and puffed up without much to back it up. Sorry guys, the food was ok, but REALLY salty!!! Go to Paris and find out how it's really done!!! IF you are going to be pretentious, have the goods to back it up! ;-)

Visited December 2013