“Extended stay”

Ranked #89 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Extended stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The staff at this hotel were quite nice & friendly as well as professional, except for the restaurant staff who appeared to have been brought in off of the streets to work without any proper or professional training at all.
The cost for the room, an enlarged corner King room, was way over priced for what the room provided one. The size of the room was okay but the king bed was anything but comfortable despite the hotel website claim that the bed was their latest ultimate comfort offering. And the pillows were not comfortable at all with regards to sleeping on.
The room was in immediate need of updating and upgrading as there were worn carpet, wallpaper in the bathroom that had once had something else attached but since removed and the colors were rather bland. The desk was way too small for trying to do any kind of business work on and the room lacked counter space in it despite the size of the room possibly accomodating more practical furniture along the walls. The couch was cheap generic and uncomfortable to sit on for more than a half hour at a time, if that long. The entry way lighting was dimly lit and the light switch was across the room from the door. The clothes closet in the entry way was small and lacked clothes hangers. The lighting in the bathroom was very poor. The combination shower/tub was okay but the shower curtain did not cover the curved shower rod thus when taking a shower water would go out on the floor. The toiletries offered in the bathroom was of inferior quality and offering than other upscale competing hotels. The bath towels were quite nice but the wash cloths and hand towels were not of the same quality. As requested there was a very small refrigerator in the room though it was quite small and more suitable for a very small dorm room at a inexpensive college than this hotel chain. And the staff simply placed the mini refrigerator on the floor thus one had to practically sit down on the floor to get into the refrigerator each time. The microwave oven provided was also equally small and cheap or low quality. The flat screen TV was very nice size but offered very few channels and had a problem with buffering the receipt of programs from whatever service the hotel was using at the time. The wireless internet service, which is not free, was only perhaps a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the lowest, as the service or signal kept getting lost every few minutes or so on any device one attempted to use it with within the room. Valet parking was exceptional at the hotel as each individual working in Valet very professional and friendly and polite.
Overall the room was way overpriced. What was priced between $240 and $300 a night should in reality been only maybe $100 for what one received from this hotel but due to its location they were able to demand and receive much higher.
And do not choose the offered meal plan at this hotel as the food is not worth it and the staff in the restaurant act more like you are intruding if you do choose to dine there.

Room Tip: Ask before checking in where the room is located and make sure you stay away from the noisy elevator...
1 Thank Alan J
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you for the feedback of your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that the staff was nice and friendly! I will share your experience with the Food & Beverage Manager and also the Director of Housekeeping.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
Houston, TX
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Please let me know if you like the review. The Hotel and lobby were very nice; the room (1818, see attached) was clean, nice and meant our needs; the room had a large bathroom. The desk registration staff told us that we were upgraded (due to our Hilton-Honors Card Level; although, there was nothing spectacular about the room that I could tell. If you want a view you need to be on the upper floors. We did not eat in the hotel. The room had computer access; the bed was nice & it had down pillows and a blanket. Additional blankets were in the closet. I was surprised that there was NOT a safe in the room which I have grown to expect. The 18th floor hallway smelled a little like someone had been smoking near the room the evening we arrived; we did not detect any smells in the room. The Valet and shuttle service were excellent; the valet staff said to give them 15 to 20 minutes to get the car but they had our car within 5 minutes when we checked out. The location is not great for restaurants and downtown attractions; however, the hotel shuttle will take (and pick you up) anywhere downtown for free. The shuttle ran until 10:45PM on the Friday we stayed there. We called the Hotel Shuttle service from the Alley Theater and we were picked up within 10 minutes. Overall it was a very nice stay; I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor for a view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete our hotel survey. I love the pictures of your guest room! As a VIP HHonors guest, we offer additional upgraded guest amenities on the HHonors Floors. I have informed the Director of Housekeeping of the smoke smell you mentioned also to ensure we are doing double checking for smoking guest as our hotel is 100% Non-Smoking. When you return, we have complimentary safes that are located at the Front Desk verses in our guest rooms. Thank you again and we hoped to see you soon!
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 April 2012

standard Doubletree, comfortable, well-maintained, nice shuttle service as needed to area restaurants and shops. This is important on weekends as few nearby restaurants are open Sat-Sun.

1 Thank bsmithSanFrancisco
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel complimentary shuttle and the location of the property! The Shuttle does come in handy for our guest that would like to see Downtown Houston. We hope we are first on your list for your return visit to Houston!
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I am highly allergic to down and feathers (I have a set of symptoms I only get from an exposure), and I requested a room that was free of them. Pillows from a regular room were removed but it appeared they missed something as I got sick. My room was changed, but the new room was still clearly not down free and as a result I got acutely ill which snowballed to serious repercussions to my health. This is an older hotel that has not been updated and the windows do not open so the rooms has recirculated air. I travel frequently and hotels usually have designated rooms for this all too common allergy, they do not.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Aahlife
Ottawa
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The bad first.....

It smelled like a sewer outside my room in the hall. Like a bit o' pee and a bit o' poo.

I don't like Houston. The city shuts down at night. There's nothing to do or eat (see my review of the Hard Rock!) Now, that's not the Doubletree's doing, nor does that affect my review. I just thought I would throw that in there.

The good...

Good value for the money. Room was clean. Smell from the hall never made it as far as the interior of the room.

Nice staff. Good location in the loop. Nice lobby.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Bingbangboing
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback on your stay with us. We will look into the order smell as well. We hope you choose us on your return visit to Houston!
florida
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Location is not great for restaurants and attractions, but they offer a nice shuttle. Front desk and breakfast staff were very friendly. And helpful. Rooms are ok but I was on the Hh floor and surprised by how much noise traveled between rooms.

• Stayed April 2012
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for choosing DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown for your stay while visiting Houston! We appreciate your feedback and I hope we are the top of your list when you return to Houston!
Garland, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Hotel staff was very friendly upon registration and we were up in our room WITH the delicious cookies they offer at checkin within minutes. Our room was very nice, huge bathroom for a change. The bath tub was unusually big so I quickly set up a bubble bath to relax after being on my feet all day. Wonderful. I LOVE the Evelyn and Crabtree soaps/shampoo/cond that they offer so much that I am searching out a store to purchase some. I was so tired and my bed was so comfortable I barely was up to check out timely! Nice. Quiet. Comfortable. A real winner in my book!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston Downtown! Please keep us in mind on your return visit to Houston.