“Pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #95 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Houston, TX
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree last night. We attended a wedding reception nearby and decided to spend the night in Houston, We had a beautiful room on the 19th floor, the view was amazing. The bed and pillows were incredibly comfortable and we had a good sleep.

Room Tip: Like others, I would request a corner room away from the elevators. Something on a higher floor is...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flygirl_7
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent stay! We are glad to hear you enjoyed our Sweet Dreams Bed and Pillows and your room. We hope your experience will lead you to book with us on your next visit to Houston.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

Stayed recently at the Doubletree Downtown Houston. The room was nice, bed was comfortable, floor (upper floor) was nice and quiet. Had asked for some amenities like a fridge and they were in the room. (Though I don't understand why a fridge and microwave are not standard in all hotels now - even Holiday Inn Express has them now).
Ate the buffet breakfast which was good, would have been better with fresh omelets or fresh real eggs over easy.
Valet parking was nice - car was parked right away.

Check in was slow, one person working - I had to sit and wait. Also while I was in the lobby I heard a man who seemed to be having difficulties confirming his reservation. He finally received the card to his room and then about 10 minutes later returned to the desk and told the clerk "There is someone in that room you gave me" so I guess he had to get another room.

I told the clerk I needed help to the room and I waited but no one helped and no one was around. I finally asked the handicap desk clerk for help and he said "Well, there is no one here" so I said I could use a cart myself, and he said "There are no carts". So again I said I needed help, so he carried my luggage up to the room.

Another long wait for the valet to bring the car around was another frustration. Again - seemed like there were not enough employees. The valet did give me good directions to get out of downtown.

Please note this hotel does not have a pool, supposedly has an exercise room which I could not find nor did anyone tell me where it was.

Will probably find another hotel to stay in next trip to Houston.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sasweeties
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay with us. Glad to hear you enjoyed the room and we honored your request prior to arrival. I am sad to hear of your check in experience at the front desk and the Bellmen. Would you mind emailing me additional feedback on the date you stayed with us? We use guest experiences to train and coach our team. Not being eager to assist you with your luggage is unacceptable at anytime of the day. I will also foward your feedback to our Executive Chef and Outlets Manager. We do offer eggs cooked to order on our breakfast menu. Again, thank you your feedback and I look foward to your email. Toya.berry@hilton.com.
Saint Joseph, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

I booked this hotel while in town for Houston WineFest. The location was perfect and we were able to just walk the block to the park. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive and check in was a breeze. The cookie at checkin was a nice touch after my 12hr drive. The room was spotless and nicely appointed. The hotel lobby bar/restaraunt area was very convenient and Johnny took wonderful care of our group each time we visited. Issues: I only had 2 working outlets in my room. The lamp on the desk and the bathroom. The wall outlet and lamp outlets on the nightstand didn't work which was very inconvenient. I had to charge my phone across the room and use my laptop only at the desk if it needed charging. No free wifi for business travelers was also a negative. The price for parking went up on Sunday and it was higher for a hotel guest than it was for a visitor? I paid $25 and a visitor would pay $15. Other than that I was very pleased and would definitely stay here again. The valet staff was amazing. Very prompt and courteous and gave me awesome directions to restaraunts nearby. Great job Doubletree!

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms close to the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise D
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Our Bartendar Johnny know's how to move the crowd. Our Lobby Bar was just renovated last month so we are happy to hear such raving reviews on it. Would you mind sending me a seperate email of your room number so we can address the outlet issue? Coming soon, our Business Center will have complimentary WiFi services and we are too looking foward to it. We currently only offer complimentary WiFi in the Hotel Lobby. Again, thank you and I look foward to your response.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

In addition to making great cookies, the Doubletree also stands out as a good overall hotel chain. This is the 4th Doubletree that we have stayed in across various areas of Canada/US and we are pleased to say that it will definitely be our hotel of choice moving forward...

Positives - Great location, right downtown and walking distance to several of the major attractions (Allan Center, Bayou Place, Hobby Center, Aquarium, etc). They also have a free shuttle service that will take you to most locations downtown.

Negatives - As others have pointed out, the walls are a little thin so try to avoid being near the elevator if you can (rooms in the xx14-xx18 range). We also ran into a group of very loud (drunk) kids in the room next to us one night but security responded quickly and efficiently to quiet them down.

Room Tip: Avoid being near the elevator if you can (rooms in the xx14-xx18 range).
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mt-42
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Everyone LOVES our DoubleTree Chocolate Chip and Walnut Cookie; they are great with milk as well! I have also shared your experience with the staff and our Director of Engineering. As you mentioned, we have received concerns on the walls being thin so I would like to ask for you to email me your room number so he can go up and check this issue. My email address is: toya.berry@hilton.com. Again, thank you and I hope you choose us as travels take you back to Houston.
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

I was in Houston for business and I needed to stay close enough to MD Anderson Cancer Center. Unfortunately, the Houston Hilton Plaza/Medical Center was booked as well as some other Hiltons so I decided to go with the Double Tree Hilton and I am so happy I did. My flight from New York arrived early so I was prepared to wait around in the lobby until it was close to check in time. However as I walked into the hotel, I was greeted by the valet drivers so warmly that I decided to take my chances and see if they would let me get a room. Well, there was a lovely lady Shelly who checked me in and off I went to my room with my card keys and warm chocolate chip cookie. My room was great. The hotel is conveniently located in the downtown area of Houston. Luckily for me, I did not have to go far to find something to eat. There is a Food Court located in the lower level of the adjoining building. This worked for me as I was able to order some food and take it back to the room. I snuggled under the covers, watched tv, caught up on some reading and prepared for the next day. In the evening, I went to the gym which is on the 4th floor. The gym is small but adequately equipped with sufficient workout machines/weights, etc. There are clean towels, water cooler, a basket which would hold the complimentary head phones. On my first visit, there were no head phones and I called the front desk - Shelly answered, within minutes, someone had come in and refilled the baskets with head phones.

The down side was that there was no free WiFi (not good for business travelers). The business center was close to the lobby and in the open area (no privacy).

Overall, the staff was very kind, attentive and made me feel comfortable. The DoubleTree Hilton was great. In fact, I would dare say that they made me feel like a million bucks - in my eyes, they are the winner.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dbka
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
We LOVE WINNING!! Thank you so much for recognizing our team members. They try hard to make our guest feel welcome. It sure helps us with the warm chocolate chip cookie. Please keep us in mind if you return to Houston!
San Jose CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I stayed this hotel on Sep.12-14th 2012. For the business trip, I could not find the room at Hilton this time, but this place was the perfect for my business. The service was reliable and efficient. Room was clean. I enjoyed the great food (nice menu) and drink at the lobby bar/restaurant after the long day. I will go back this place in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hi0422
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our newly renovated Lobby Bar is just what our guest need to relax after a long day of business. Service and cleaninless is what we strive for and looks like we hit a home run with you! We hope to see you again on your return visit to Houston.
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Great place to stay in the DT area. Its connected to the underground system and close to everything you might want/need. Staff is great. Friendly and accommodating. Can't beat the cookie either. While I was there, there was a photo gallery on display near the conference center. Must see.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ConchedOnInn
Toya B, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Houston Downtown, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! The Tunnel system is an awesome system that our Downtown guest and team members love. If you are here during the week, the city has purchased GREEN Efficiency Buses to transport guest with in the downtown area complimentary. It's called the GREEN LINK. It's spacious, modern and can get you anywhere in minutes with in the Downtown Loop. We hope you choose us on your return visit to Houston again. Thanks