“Not really 4 stars”

Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria
Ranked #59 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I got a great deal on this hotel through Priceline so I shouldn't complain too much but the Hilton Houston Post Oak did not live up to my expectations for a 4 star hotel. The room itself was very spacious but seemed like it was 80% refurbished. The bedding was nice, there was a nice desk and TV, and the outer portion (sink, mirror) of the bathroom also very nice with black granite countertops. The carpet looked like it needed a good cleaning and the tub/shower looked original to the room - old 1970s era tile, grimy, didn't drain properly. The balcony is barely big enough to stand on, not a true balcony to enjoy a cup of coffee or the view (which was fabulous from our 12th floor room).

The description of a "rooftop pool" was technically accurate but it is on the roof of the meeting rooms (2nd floor level) not the top of the hotel. The pool area was clean but looked worn - not a 4 star experience.

My main annoyance was their charge for internet access ($10.95 per device). Since I only needed a little bit of information, I thought I would use the Business Center computer to look up a couple restaurant and museum opening hours but they also charged for access there as well. It seems very outdated not to offer complimentary internet access. Be aware that parking is also $14 per night and guests must have their ticket validated by the front desk for in/out privileges.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a very convenient location for shopping at the Galleria and there are plenty of nice restaurants within a quick drive or even walking distance. The staff is also very pleasant. The bellman who helped us with a problem with our key cards was a wealth of knowledge about the area. There was a "customer appreciation reception" during one night of our stay with complimentary wine and snacks. We enjoyed talking with the staff working at that event as well.
Overall, there were some nice moments during our stay but I would feel very disappointed had I paid full price for this hotel, were staying here for a special event or needed to connect several internet devices.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan B
Hilton_Post_Oak, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

We appreciate your feedback regarding the speed and cost of our wireless internet service. We apologize that it did not work well during your stay. While we do charge an additional fee for wireless internet, we strive to be competitive with other hotels and offer quality services and amenities in our guest rooms. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 8 August 2012

My boyfriend and I traveled to Houston for my Birthday trip. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were greeted with a warm welcome. Check in was quick and easy. Our room was huge with excellent amount of space. Room service was fast. Another big plus was the shuttle service. The wait was no longer than 10 mins going and returning. It was great not having to drive everywhere. The Galleria and a lot of nice resturants are in a walking distance. Overall great hotel. When I return to Houston...I will stay here AGAIN!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Expected much better.
1. Brother had to sleep on floor despite requesting rollaway at 3 pm
2. No poolside bar or snacks.
3. Carpet all over floor.. Better to have laminate Wood floor..
4 no hot tub in a hilton.
5. Had to wait 20 min for luggage cart.. Ended up getting it myself.
6 no baby sitting services.
7 wrong persons luggage delivered
to our room
8. Key did not work for my Mom.
9 not enough staff for wedding party
10. Multiple disturbances delivering bedding at night.
11. Chicken tenders and fries ....my 3 yo toddler did not like nor me or my hubby... 15 dollars.
Only positive... Nice spanish speaking staff.. Except I dont really speak Spanish

To summarize.. Stay somewhere else.. Great location but poor Service.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank luv3trvl
Hilton_Post_Oak, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. We clearly missed the mark! I apologize that the comfort of your stay was interrupted and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future we do a better job. I’ve spoken to my team regarding your feedback and plan to work on the areas you mentioned including friendly helpful staff and delivering quality service.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Wonderful hotel, swank. Great staff. The hotel has as luxurious feeling and all rooms have a balcony. The executive lounge had a fantastic breakfast (high quality bakery and plenty of fresh healthy options).Hilton offers also high end toilettries that make the stay even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Stay on the executive floor you pay a little more but it is worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Overall pretty satisfied with my recent stay at the Hilton Post Oak. The staff was helpfull and friendly. The room was clean and spacious. Room service was quick and the food was good. Rooms out one side of the building have a nice view of the local skyline. Out the other side is a view of a large parking lot.

The hotel is in a great location if you are doing business in the Galleria area. Easy to walk up and down Post Oak to the major office buildings in the area. Also great access to some really nice restaurants.

A few small critsisms:
- The fitness room is well equiped but fairly warm. I could not find a way to adjust the temperature.
- The place feels a bit dated. The trim is rough around the edges. Hotel elevators feel dark and old.
- Parking is expensive
- Breakfast is expensive. Go to Starbucks or Tom's. Both short walks from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at this very same hotel about a year prior, but did not experience the same top-notch service as before. I called a few days before check-in to request a king bed on a high floor. The person over the phone was very nice and even asked me if I wished to have a nice view, to which I of course said yes. When we arrived to check in, the person at the desk didn't say anything about the special requests I had made earlier. Instead, she handed us the keys for the 3rd floor. I mentioned my request, and she said the best she could do would be on the 6th. The hotel has 14 floors, so to me, the 6th floor was on the lower half of the hotel. When we got up to the room, not only did it smell slightly of urine, but it had 2 double beds instead of the king I had requested. I called down to the desk to speak with the same person that checked us in, and I explained that we had requested a king. The only upside was that she sent a bellman up to the room with new keys instead of having us go back down to the desk. We were still on the same floor, but this room had a slightly better view than the other room (view of parking garage). Oddly enough, this room also smelled of urine. The ceiling had a water stain on it & was missing a large piece of texture, which just made the room feel run-down. Our previous stay just happened to be on the 10th floor, which is usually where Honors members stay. I'm not sure if the rooms were not as nicely kept as the higher floors, but it sure did feel as if that were the case. Also, we only received 2 full-size bath towels, which seems a little subpar. The accommodations at the last Holiday Inn we stayed at were actually better than this Hilton, so I am a little disappointed. I don't know that we would stay at this hotel again, except in the event that we really wanted the balcony. Parking is $14 per night, so keep this in mind when you book.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelanyH

I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize for the room assignment not meeting your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. While room type requests cannot be met every time, I have reviewed your comments with our front desk team. I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

We have stayed here before both times with a Priceline bid. It's a well run hotel with nice amenities. The drain in our tub was slow to drain (706) bIt overall a great stay and good location for the Galleria.

• Stayed: July 2012