“For $300+ a night, I would expect more.”

Hilton Houston Post Oak by the Galleria
Ranked #64 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 5 March 2008

The service here is definitely lacking... not even a bellhop to help with my bags. The room is typical, not overly large. Plain, dark bathtub. A nice touch is the balconies in every room, however.

The Executive Lounge was a room of stale trail mix and gummy bears. I arrived late and famished,and the girl was only able to dig up a yogurt for me. A weary businessman came in looking for an ice cream bar and was shocked to learn they didn't even have that! I had to ask for a diet coke,as all that was around was empty, dirty glasses and plates, presumably from the earlier happy hour which served appetizers, about four hours ago!!!. Seeing how poor the amenities were, I did not venture back the next evening. Also, they don't open on time in the morning, which is pointless if you have an early meeting to rush off to. I'm no primadonna, but at these prices to stay in the hotel, the offerings seemed lacking to me.

I have been to executive lounges in other hotels and they offer far more. What I thought might be a perk of my stay was a disappointment and what is the point of paying extra for some peanuts and gummy bears?

The fitness center had towels and water, but otherwise was plain.

The bedding was very nice and comfy, but like another poster said, there are no robes in the rooms. This did not seem like a luxury hotel to me.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,336)

Reviewed 22 February 2008

Staff is not hosptable, any request seems to be too much.

Too many things went wrong during the visit e.g. incorect billing, mail was not delivere to the room, executive launch room is not open on time for breakfast...

Room service was good.

Overall, will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 17 February 2008

We hadn't stayed at this location in several years. The rooms were starting to show their age, and we had to deal with noise from much needed renovations. We gave the hotel another try this trip and had a great experience. The rooms were upgraded and very comfortable. The decor is art deco and really nice--comfortable and not cold. The buffet breakfast had omlettes to order and lots of other choices too. The rooms were quiet, in spite of a rather crowded lobby suggesting lots of guests. The bar is nice--very relaxing with a sports TV, but subtitles--not loud noise. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2008

This is a great hotel. very convenient location, escpecially if you are shopping at the Galleria, going to Reliant Stadium, Minute Maid Park. it is all within 10 minutes.
The hotel was very clean and comfortable. We were escpecially please with the level of service provided by the staff

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Hotel Houston-Post Oak from January 25-Jan 28. This is a very attractive hotel with a good location, but there were several drawbacks. First of all, I was not impressed with the service we received. For starters, there were no robes or turn down service. The room wasn't cleaned until after 2pm on Saturday. My son 's car had a flat, tire, and instead of asking if he needed any help, the bell people told him to move his car out of the way.
The room was lacking in electrical outlets, in order to use the coffee maker, we had to unplug either the TV or the refrigerator. The desk chair was the only chair in the room. If both my husband and I wanted to watch TV, one could move the chair, the other person had to lay on the bed. We got a newspaper on Monday, the day we checked out--nothing on the other days. Our rooom was on the Hilton Honors floor, but the service and amenities did not match that label. Although the room was large, the bed comfortable, I cannot say that this hotel was up to the level of other hotels we have stayed at in Houston.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Almagirl
Reviewed 16 January 2008

As a business traveler that tends to stay almost exclusively at Hilton properties and Hiltons whenever possible, I have been to new properties and old. This property is clearly older. The beds are upgraded but the rest of the building is showing its age. This Hilton has a great location as others have mentioned. I was in for a 2 night business trip.

Check in was acceptable and prompt. Parking is expensive as is valet.

I was on the 10th floor. Elevators are very slow and quite often full when they get to you. My shower (and a colleagues) had virtually no water pressure which to me is worse than a smelly room! I really liked the layout of the room especially the carpeted area near the sink. It made the room warmer when standing there in bare feet.

The bed was Hilton Perfect. The room had a small balcony which was nice except for all of the smokers out there on their balconies. Leaving your sliding glass door open only let in their smoke.

We had a few drinks in one bar. Service was VERY slow.

I give 4 stars simply because of the bed and that it had the Hilton touch despite the shortcomings in some area. We had a fantastic corporate rate so it raises the overall value to me a ton.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank orr333
Reviewed 20 December 2007

My partner and I stayed one Saturday night at the Hilton Post Oak in early Dec 07. We booked through Priceline for $85/night - amazing deal.

We expected a decent hotel but were very pleased upon arrival - it's quite an attractive hotel!

Check-In

We arrived at 12pm and and the front desk staff was helpful and prompt and assured a lovely room on a higher floor. The lobby is very attractive similar to a large glass atrium. One thing we disliked upon entering the hotel was that both bellmen essentially bombarded guests as you entered. Almost to the point where we felt obligated to have our tiny carry-on brought up to the room for us. We did not oblige, however we noticed others give up very little luggage. We noticed similar behavior from the bellman throughout our stay.

Rooms

Large and tastefully (and recently) decorated. The king size bed was cozy yet comfortable. Most rooms have a mini-balcony to soak up the views of the Galleria area. A nice touch was that the toilet and tub are in a separate room from the sink/vanity area - an attribute of luxury hotels.

Parking

Valet is 25/day and self park is 14/day. One of the staff members 'quietly' informed us that we could park right next door near Paisano's Restaurant for free. Of course, that's what we did!

Additional Info

We requested and were granted access to the Club Lounge on the 14th floor and we were thrilled. The lounge offers free snacks/drinks during the day and a continental breakfast in the morning. There are also 2 computer stations with complimentary internet access. The best part was the panoramic views as it is a corner suite with glass panes all around.

Local Area

Walking distance (although no one walks in Houston) to the huge Galleria Mall and several great restaurants including Paisano's right next door.

Overall we were pleased with the Hilton and would certainly return again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business