“Much better than last visit”

Four Seasons Hotel Houston
Ranked #20 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 19 November 2011

When I was here last time, I got shoved into a smoking room without being informed. Upon arriving at the check-in, I was relieved to see the jerk from last time wasn't at the reception. The ladies at the desk were very pleasant & nice. Not as courteous as the Ritz, but friendly enough. I was delighted to hear that now the entire hotel is non-smoking. Nothing against smokers - we all have choices in life. But keep the smoke to yourself if you will. I got an upgrade to a junior suite - which is nice. A lamp's light bulb was dangling off the wire though, so of course it doesn't lit up. Room plan is interesting - bathroom at the main door, then living room, then around the corner the bedroom. So to go to the bathroom from the bed, you need to walk the entire length of the suite. It didn't bother me much cause I worked in my room until 1:30am & then had to get up for an 6am East coast conference call. For the limited time I slept, I slept really well. The bed was very comfortable. The business center was terrible though. They actually charge you for internet access - although the first 30 mins was free. It couldn't log onto my work computer because the computer there lack of Java. The business center is also right next to the lobby where there's a wine bar with super loud jezz playing. Again I couldn't play on the piano. oh well. The restaurant food was mediocre for the price they charge you. I don't know if I will come back...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Esutherland, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Elzny,

As always, we appreciate your detailed and candid feedback. Let me know next time you're in town and I'll be happy to assist with your reservation.

Kind Regards,
Dirk Burghartz

Write a ReviewReviews (1,572)

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Wow, where do I begin. Yes, I know this is the Four Seasons so the expectation is high so when I can say I wasn't disappointed and that it exceeded those expectations is wonderful. Upon arrival everyone was incredibly hospitable and accommodating. We were even able to check in early to our rooms. The rooms were beautiful and the beds, wow, so comfortable. Every staff member I had the pleasure of encountering always greeted me with a smile. Any question or need was addressed with the highest level of customer service. I also had the pleasure of using the fitness center. Again, can't say enough great things. It was clean and spacious. I'm so used to small crammed fitness centers with one treadmill that when I walked out of the elevator and saw a bank of treadmills surrounded by windows I was blown away.

Now having said all of this know that this is downtown Houston so there's nothing to do or eat M-F within walking distance after like 7pm and definitely nothing on the weekends. On Saturday before the conference we had to eat at the hotel which was good but definitely overpriced. Hey, it is the Four Seasons!

All in all will definitely stay here again next time I'm ever in Houston and can get the awesome rate we got.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Esutherland, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Thank you so much for complimenting our staff and services. We take pride in trying to exceed our guests’ expectations.

Downtown Houston is continuing to grow and has made so much progress in the past couple of years with building the Discovery Green Park and the Houston Pavilions. Please let me know next time you are coming to Houston and I will personally give you my recommendation on restaurants that are in walking distance from the hotel.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Elysia Sutherland
PR Manager

Reviewed 16 November 2011

We always enjoy our stay at the Four Seasons. Its location is ideal for the International Quilt Show and the staff are always friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the elevators may pick up crowd noise, but those rooms may be most convienent for ing...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My heart sank when I saw the lobby and within 10 minutes of arriving in my room I cancelled my second night and arranged to move city after just one day here. A tired, depressing hotel - not even possible to run a laptop at the desk in my 'suite' as there were no sockets which had power in that part of the shabby room.

Just not a gentleman's hotel.... Staff perfectly nice but oh dear - desperate sight of a cheap tired bathroom....

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
2  Thank DavidSW1
Reviewed 1 November 2011

There's just something indescribably wonderful about staying at a Four Seasons property. Especially when your employer is paying for it! This one is smack dab in the middle of downtown Houston, across the street from lovely Discovery Green Park. As with all of the hotels under the Four Seasons umbrella, the surroundings are all understated elegance. My executive suite room was plush and comfortable, with every possible amenity, including a bathroom the size of my living room at home. Super comfy mattress and pillows, and I loved the little ceramic cowboy boot you're asked to leave on the bed if you want to go green and not change the sheets every day. (It was only $5 to take home with you, too, which I did.) Room service was prompt and impeccable, though predictably sky high expensive. The spa was gorgeous, with all kinds of fresh fruit, hot tea and coffee and some sort of fruit punch available, and although I didn't get to try the pool, it was so inviting I was tempted to skip work and play hooky for the afternoon.

I did take the time to indulge in a manicure, though, and I have to say it was one of the best I've ever had. Lovely staff, lovely surroundings -- love the Four Seasons!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank for having written such a wonderful review on our property. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the complete Four Seasons Houston package - with going to the park, relaxing in the Spa, and taking home a souvenir boot. Hopefully next time, you will make it to our pool.

I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Elysia Sutherland
PR Manager

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Four Seasons Hotel: Outstanding service, delicious food, fantastic spa. My Executive Suite was well appointed without being over done. Location was within sky-walking distance to the Houston Center eatery and mall. This was my first stay at a Four Seasons, but certainly not my last!

Room Tip: Ask for pool side view.
Reviewed 31 October 2011

It's hard to go wrong at a Four Seasons property and this one is no exception. Beautiful rooms, beautiful public spaces, excellent restaurant, decent bar, and exceptional customer service by EVERY member of the staff. I can't compliment the staff enough. Every single person with whom I interacted was friendly, courteous, helpful and obviously cared about making us feel welcome.

Having said that, I have some nit-picky complaints:

1) No in-room coffee pot for early risers. I do NOT want to wait for room service to bring me a $16 pot of coffee in the morning. I like to make my own when my feet hit the floor.

2) The $4 service charge and 20% gratuity added to room service is RIDICULOUS. Seriously? You're adding gratuity AND a service charge? I absolutely hated this system. The servers were super-nice but still waited rather obviously for a tip, and I felt extremely uncomfortable not tipping them personally. But I'm already paying the 20% PLUS a service charge. Have I been living under a rock the last couple of years? Is this the new norm?

3) The $30 overnight parking fee was completely outrageous as well. The Hilton, which is attached to the GRB Convention Center, charges $18 overnight, and you don't have to get hot, wet or cold going outside to get to the convention center.

Those three things bring my rating down to a four. The exceptionally warm and helpful staff keep it from being a "three" rating for me.