“Great hotel - perfect Four Seasons service”

Four Seasons Hotel Houston
Ranked #18 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, TX
“Great hotel - perfect Four Seasons service”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Ok - I like the Four Seasons - all of them. Many I have been to in the last several years all have the same service (excellent) which more than makes up for the fact that several of these properties (Houston, Austin, Dallas, Toronto, Palm Beach, Maui) are older properties, bordering on "tired". That doesn't bother me as much as it does some. What keeps me coming back to the Four Seasons chain is the service and cleanliness. Yes, the Houston D/T property is needing a little updating, but most DT areas all over the world are having to renovate to keep up with demand and contemporary needs. We booked a wonderful BOGO package for a weekend; Book one night, second night free. I got a much better deal than those I traveled with whom booked the Hilton! We had a short 5 min walk to the GRB. Traveling with 3 kids was a little tricky as this D/T hotel has King rooms and Twin rooms - I thought that odd. They put us in an Executive Deluxe suite with connecting rooms (1 K, 2 T) which provided us with 2 baths (they are small in the older properties) and a living area. Was nice to spread out a bit. Upon arrival, we found a plate of homemade cookies (huge) with each child's name written in chocolate on the plate, Sprites and glasses for each with a full ice bucket and a bucket of popped popcorn - what a special touch. They brought in an extra twin and set it up in the twin bedroom (think Brady Bunch style). We were very comfortable for 2 days and 2 nights. We enjoyed an excellent meal at Quattro (Lobster Risotto!)- food and service very good, decor/atmosphere a bit sterile. We enjoyed the lounge and cocktails. Room Service was point on - with a kids' menu to make parents grin (grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, peas - $6!!). Downer was the cold, rainy weekend. We could see the lovely pool area from our rooms, but weather did not permit us enjoying it. Maybe next time. Another thought to beat the boredome - have the girls' nails painted at the spa. THEY DON"T DO POLISH APPLICATION! What?!? I've never heard such a thing at a spa! Oh well...The Houston Center (across the street) seems to offer some decent choices for eating (even a book store I wanted to take the kids to, get out of the rain, etc.) but the hours are very limited on the weekend - nothing open on Sunday at all! Not even Starbucks! We ate at the House of Blues 1/2 block out the back door of the hotel- thank goodness they were open! Good food and Service there, too. If in Houston, I will return to the FS.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank jtmcclay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2009

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel while in town on business. I found the location was useful for getting to meetings and the the room quite comfortable. Other positives would be the gym (plenty of equipment) and pool (a good size & nice patio surrounding). There`s a mall across the street, and it looks like several restaurants have been added nearby to the otherwise quietédull downtown location.

Negatives would be pillows (woke up with daily sore neck), tight vanity and shower areas, and a lounge that closes too early.

Overall, I would stay again but may bring my own pillow!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Lecheria, Venezuela
Reviewed 22 February 2009

A few times a year I travel to Houston on business - staying in the downtown area. Usually I stay here or at the Crowne Plaza if the 4 seasons is full/or the price is too high for my supervisor to approve. Upon arrival, the bellmen remember me and welcome me back, they open the door for me. Check-in is always smooth and fast. The rooms are large and very comfortable (lots of room to spread out all my purchases and pack my suitcases most efficiently-they even bring me a scale). The gym downstairs is great, with fresh fruit, water, individual tv's, headsets etc. The pool took awhile, but is now open. My favorite item on the room service menu is the club sandwich with sweet potato fries. The courtesy car is never more than "8 minutes" away to take me to the office or to bring me back. If I have to work past courtesy car hours (around 11 pm), the concierge will call me a taxi to pick me up from the office. During one trip last year, I looked out the window and saw that Alicia Keys was performing in about 2 hours...the concierge was able to get me tickets right away. I love this hotel!!! Everyone that works here is friendly, helpful, and on the ball.

Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Expat_Chiqui
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 February 2009

Initially, we stayed at the Four Seasons only because the neighboring Hilton was unavailable. Lucky US! I can’t say enough good things about the Four Seasons!

Wow! From the very first moment we set foot in the lobby, it was a good experience. The registration staff was courteous and efficient. Upon arrival, we asked about the possibility of upgrading our room. Now, many places would check availability- see that nothing was immediately available- and not wanting to be bothered, continue the check-in as-is. But the super-helpful front-desk employee took the time to check when the room we wanted would become available, put a rush on the housekeeping order, and stored our luggage while we went to lunch. An hour or so later, we returned to the upgraded room.

During our stay, were very impressed by the way every hotel employee would follow up on a request- making sure it was fulfilled. Our room was big and comfortable. We loved the glass shower doors that kept the water IN the shower. The lighted magnifying mirror near the sink was a wonderful convenience. It felt so welcoming to return each evening to a freshly turned down room… complete with music to greet us.

On the third floor, there is a walkway to the Houston Shops, where you can find many stores, a large food court, and free wireless Internet. How’s that for convenience?!

The only thing we didn’t like was not having a coffee maker in the room. But having the New York Times and the Houston Chronicle Sunday papers near the coffee and pastries in the lobby was an unexpected treat. The a la carte services were many. The spa staff was exemplary! We felt completely catered to at every turn! Next time we travel to Houston, we definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Exemplary Service!
  • Disliked — No coffee makers in rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank BonnieInPA
mdr1122
Reviewed 6 February 2009

This was the best hotel experience that I have had in a long time! The service was impeccable and the staff was very attentive. My expectations were exceeded. We enjoyed the beautiful pool and the great happy hour they host on Thursday nights. There was so much to do in the downtown area, we had a great time exploring all of the new developments. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Houston. The Four Seasons Houston was truly a Five Diamond experience.

• Liked — The service and value they offer
  • Disliked — That I had to leave
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mdr1122
Texas
Reviewed 4 December 2008

As Bette Davis would say, "What a dump!"

The Four Seasons hotel chain needs to either remove its name from this location or put some good money into renovations.

Skip this hotel and stay elsewhere.

Bad, bad, bad

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank ousax
Virginia
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Hotel services were second to none, which is expected at a Four Seasons. Room was nice, but we have had better for half the price, perhaps updating is needed. Good downtown location and hotel courtesy vehicle was very convenient. Pool area was nice, but pool side service was slow to nonexistent. Overall, a very enjoyable stay, hotel staff made it worthwhile, and I would easily recommend.

• Liked — location and staff service
  • Disliked — price for moderate room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business