“Holiday Inn - Reliant”

Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area
Ranked #180 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My stay at the Holiday Inn Reliant was very nice. Staff was helpful and friendly. They had shuttle service to MD Anderson each hour. Rooms were comfortable. The workout area had treadmills and pool was nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear GeorgeTD8

Thank you for nice and gracious comments. We hope all worked out well at MDA.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice, clean, quite place in a great location for MD Anderson Cancer Center visits. Walking distance to grocery shopping, eateries.. ie. 5 guys, wich/wich, panda express, olive garden.
Great shuttle service to these locations too along with service to the medical center area. Friendly staff and shuttle drivers! Special rates for medical. Has an outdoor pool, also
an in house bar and a restaurant, however did not have time to use them

1  Thank retire11
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear retire 11

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you liked our great location so close to the Medical Center and so convenient to restaurants and shopping. Of course, we encourage you to try our fun bar and great food here too. Our culinary team is excellent.

If your travels brings you back to Houston, we'd love to see you back.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Nothing great but it is a decent place to stay when you have to go to that area in Houston. I was in town for business and was on foot. This was close to the Reliant Stadium, there are plenty of chain restaurants across the street. I didn't feel ripped off but it wasn't anything to write home about, I mean it is a Holiday Inn.

1  Thank Nikko_Traveler

Dear Nikko _ Traveler

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. We are glad that we met your expectations, and that you liked our great location.

We hope to see you back soon. I am sure you will be delighted to see the changes as we complete our renovation.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Right on the grounds go the NRG/Reliant Stadium and convention center. If you are going to attend any event at the convention center this is the place to stay. The service is very good, the restaurant is clean and has good service, the food was well prepared. The rooms and hallways are dated and dark, they appear to be renovating the hotel and that may help. Room was quiet and the cool/heat system worked well. The WiFi worked ok although the TV station selection was limited

1  Thank L G L

Dear L G L

Thank you for taking the time to write a review in Trip Advisor. It is helpful to us and to other travelers. Indeed our location is excellent as we have a gate that opens directly to NRG Center (Former Reliant Park).

We are glad you too enjoyed our great food. Our culinary team is indeed excellent.

You may be glad to know that we are starting a full renovation which includes updating all furnishings and decor. It will be beautiful and contemporary.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I frequent hotels in this area a lot for his cancer check ups at MD Anderson. By far this is the best hotel we've stayed at. The staff are super friendly and accommodating! Do note that it is an older hotel and does need a little updating in the rooms but it is still a pleasant stay. The breakfast is great but note that the free breakfast is cold items and pastries you have to pay for the hot breakfast which was a little disappointing. The bar has great staff and yummy food...it's a little cramped on space but you can order it to your room too.
Now since we use a foundation to give us assistance with our housing costs while we are there, we have to call the foundation to make reservations and then make a back up reservation. We have put this hotel on our first priority list. One time they made the reservation for us and I called to cancel my back up reservation. The clerk then canceled BOTH reservations. So when we showed up we had no room. They immediately put us in a room and had the desk manager come speak to us. She worked with us to call the foundation and set the process up again to get our costs taken care of. I'm so thankful to the staff for making something that is so difficult just a little bit more bearable.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Staci E,

Thank you for your nice review and generous comments. We are delighted to now that you enjoyed your stay. Indeed our staff takes great pride i providing great service and our great food.

Again, thank you!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went down to Houston for the Offshore Technology Conference last week and picked this hotel because I saw how close it was to Reliant. The location was absolutely perfect! I did not have to get in my car the whole week because the hotel was literally right next to the parking lot of Reliant. If you are looking for convenience this is the hotel for you...if you are looking for nice luxury accommodations this is not the place. I would not stay here for a romantic get away. The hotel had that "old smell" to it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Ginger C
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Ginger C

Thank yout for taking the time to share your review about your stay with us.We are glad we met your expectations. Indeed, he hotel is literally on the the doorstep of Reliant Center and we have a private access gate as you experience. Can't beat that convenience!

As for the need for updating, yes. The hotel, as you saw, is impeccably clean and well maintained, However, we are about to begin a full refresh and update of all furnishing and decor. It will be beautiful on your next visit.

We certainly hope to see you again on next year's OTC or any time.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I hate to be so negative, but there is little to like at this very old Holiday Inn. I stay at many IHG properties across the country and I don't have any problem with older ones as long as whomever is taking the money is putting it back into offering their guests some quality. The problem with this Holiday Inn is that it backs up my notion that most Holiday Inn hotels are 40+ years old and not kept up well; and yes I know the difference between Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express.

1. The wi-fi is horrible; I did a speed test and while I did get about 2.0 mbps once (which is decent) I was still unable to actually open a page properly. The other 10+ speed tests I did resulted in less than .5 mbps (which is really, really bad). I think you can probably get decent reception in the lobby though, so good luck.

2. The A/C is weird. Seemed to work the first night, but the second night it cut itself off when it hit about 69 (it was hot for a few days) and I woke up to a stuffy room. I had to put it in Fan mode than select Cool/Cold to make A/C work.

3. My electrical outlet in the bathroom (by the sink) was loose and rocked from side to side (not a biggie), but the one under the desk was replaced with a 4 socket outlet that wasn't even screwed into the wall; you (or a kid) could pull it out of the wall and expose the wires.

In all fairness to the staff, they responded and were polite. While I was told my wi-fi and A/C were fixed, they really weren't but I only had one more night so I let it go.

HOUSEKEEPING WAS VERY GOOD. I HAD A PERFECTLY CLEAN ROOM AND REPLACED TOWELS EACH NIGHT. Believe it or not this is not always the case at all hotels, so I commend the housekeeping staff at the Holiday Inn Houston Reliant Park

I don't know how the Holiday Inn Express is (about a 1/4 mile away), but it is a much newer building and unless you need a bar and restaurant (along with room service) it probably is a better choice.

Room Tip: Rooms on Reliant side offer a more pleasant view, and naturally the higher floors offer a more panor...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank travel94531
Sergio O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston - NRG/Medical Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Travel94531

Thank you for your excellent observations and recommendations.

Indeed our Wi-Fi ocassionally has slowed somewhat when the hotel is 100% occupied and guests have multiple devices accessing at the same time. To remedy this, we have recently enhanced our system from 20Mb to 100Mb, but it will take another month or so to complete the full installation. This will be more than ample to accommodate all devices with a robust service, that is free to you.

As for the AC, we are also upgrading older units as part of our ucpming multimillion dollar renovation to be completed in 2014.

Thank you as well as for recognizing the great service provided by our team. We take much pride in that and are pleased that we meet your expectations.

I hope that you do give us an opportinity to regain your trust and confidence. We'd love to see you back soon.