“Great staff and tasty restaurant.”

Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks
Ranked #79 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Always comfortable and welcoming. Excellent restaurant and most of all a friendly accommodating staff. Great restaurant options not too distant from hotel property and willing to transport you.
Great managers reception, Mandy is very cordial and a great asset to the "Bates" motel.

• Stayed: January 2013
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Hello gorfin,
Thank you for your nice review! It's great to hear that you enjoy our hotel, staff & services. We have a great restaurant on site but to explore the great restaurants in the area we have our complimentary shuttle available. I am glad that you took advantage of our services and I hope you will be back soon to enjoy them again!

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Mandy Bates rocks, the hotel was very nice, food was great, accommodations were well appointed!! The Wed reception rocked, free is great and great food and beverage choices made it even better. The location, in the heart of River Oaks makes this an ideal place to stay

• Stayed: January 2013
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Hello twin222,
Thank you for your fantastic feedback! I am thrilled that you attended the reception and you enjoyed it. Free drinks always seem to taste better. I will let Mandy that you acknowledged her hard work and that you think she rocks. I am sure she will appreciate that. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I have stayed many times at this facility for different reason, OTC, Rodeo, Football game, etc had have never been disappointed as a matter of fact I believe the service keeps getting better. From the valet, front desk, restaurant, housekeeping I have never experienced rudeness or lack of attention. Great place to stay when in Houston.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Hello kajunana,
Thank you so much for for your marvelous review! It's nice to hear that you stay with us throughout the year for a variety of events. We are honored that you have chosen us as your Houston hotel choice and we really appreciate your loyalty. I will pass on your gracious comments to the staff. Thanks again and we hope to have you back very soon!

Reviewed 3 January 2013

The hotel is in a great location. It is close to downtown, the medical center, and the Galleria if you want to shop. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and roomy. The food at the restaurant is excellent. The bar is a great place to have a drink. I think this is a wonderful hotel and I stay here every time that I am in Houston.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Hello Roger L,
Thank you so much for your gracious comments. I am thrilled to hear that you love our hotel, staff & services! I am happy to hear that our convenient location works for your traveling needs. We are honored that you have made CPRO your hotel choice in Houston!

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Stayed only one night, and came in late. Found it to have a good location, easily accessible to the freeway. There is a parking garage next door ($8 per night).

The front desk staff advised me upon checking in that they were having problems with the heat in the rooms, and would be very glad to accomodate me in the hotel next door. I decided to stay anyway, and had no problems with temperature (we keep it colder at home). Thankfully, there was plenty of hot water. The bed was very comfortable, and I slept soundly.

The building itself appears to have been erected in the early to mid '70s, judging by the architecture and odd shape of the rooms, but it has been clearly renovated since.

I found the service at the restaurant to be attentive, and the food selection to be good. Thankfully, my company had breakfast included in the rate, otherwise I think it would hav been a little pricey - though not unlike other breakfast buffets in comparable hotels.

Room Tip: Probably best to have a room face away from the freeway, to diminish noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

Hello chiguire,
Thank you for your fantastic feedback! I am thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a detailed review! It is nice to hear that you loved our hotel, staff & services. I hope that next time you can stay longer than one night and that we will earn 5 stars. We hope you will stay with us again the next time your travels brings you back to Houston!

Reviewed 30 December 2012

I originally posted a review of this hotel with just an "average" rating and listed a couple of problems I had with the room I was staying in. It turns out that the room was a handicapped room which was the only type available at the time I checked in. Mandy, the delightful hotel manager, saw my review within hours of posting and recognized the problem. When I returned to the hotel on the second night she had taken the time to figure out who I was and had written a personal note to me explaining the situation and offering me another room.

The regular room was spacious, well appointed, comfortable and very clean. The room has all the amenities you would expect at a property of this type plus a few you might not. For the business traveler there is a good workspace but the high speed Internet is free (unlike many business hotels) and for the leisure traveler there is a microwave and fridge but with upscale furnishings, a nice flat screen TV and iPod radio. One problem that I frequently experience with hotel rooms, at any star level, is heating and cooling. Frequently systems are noisy or blow hot/cold air right at you when you are working at the desk or relaxing. At the Crowne Plaza you set the temperature and the system simply delivers. No mad rush of air, no noise, just comfort. Also contributing to comfort is a wonderful bed that allowed me to sleep peacefully through the night

The restaurant serves an excellent breakfast, with a variety of reasonably priced options including an extensive buffet of hot and cold goodies with eggs, waffles and pancakes cooked to order. The dinner menu is modest but varied and everyone will find something to suit them, again at a reasonable price.

The rates, location and facilities make this a great hotel and the service and attention to detail raise it to excellent. I would definitely stay there on any future trip to Houston.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Born_Old

Hello Born_Old,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review! I love reading your comments and it's great that Mandy did some investigative work and located you to fix your complaint. If you are ever not satisfied with something, please let us know. Our goal is to make sure that every guest leaves happy. I am thrilled that we changed your thoughts on our hotel and that you will be returning. We are honored that you have made CPRO your Houston hotel choice. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 29 December 2012

I am shocked at the positive reviews of this hotel. This is not the worst place I’ve stayed but it’s such a bad experience I would rather pay double what I’m paying here to stay at a clean roadside motel.

Do Not Stay Here unless you get the room for under $30.

I had 3 rooms reserved for my family and called twice over a week before arrival to reserve connecting rooms and a king on a high floor. We even received an email confirmation showing what we were reserving. Arriving at 10pm we find that nobody bothered to call us and tell us the hotel was a mess, people hadn’t checked out, and the right rooms were no longer available. No apologies. I could have booked a much nicer property for $10 more if they had bothered to call me. Instead, with small children, on a busy loud highway, and freezing at night I had no choice but to move into this dump of a hotel.

I have 4 rooms at this hotel so don’t think that I’m just judging one room.

Carpet filthy and worn (attaching picture). Not even well vacuumed.

Pillows not even sufficiently covered – base pillows dangling out of the sheets (picture attached). My wife's face had 3 bites the next morning. Asked for new pillows. Twice. Finally got some for her bed at night.

Walls banged up and marked in every room (attaching picture)

Plumbing creaks and moans. You cannot imagine the noise as people are taking showers in other rooms.

Dirty banged up walls in every room - see picture.

Somebody’s used sticker for something still stuck on the lamp next to the bed

Doors are dirty – do you think wiping the greasy fingerprints all over the doors might be a nice idea?

Sheets don’t cover the mattress – literally bare mattress showing at the bottom. (see picture). Asked for king sheets on the bottom for second night. No change, in fact we asked for all new sheets, and we had the same sheets the second night.

Cracked outlet cover revealing switch box behind. Should be ashamed.

Bathrooms worn – the caulking needs cleaning

Noisy hallways – this is a flight attendant hotel so the doors start slamming very early.

Right on the highway. A LOUD highway. Thank heaven the windows are thick.

2 of the 4 rooms needed Air conditioning maintenance to show up and fix it, and the controls are so complex that normal humans can’t use them. So thankful maintenance was able to come make it work. This is, actually, the first time I have had “maintenance” in any hotel come and fix something and it worked the first time.

Front desk has answered 1 out of 4 calls so far. That was to ask for better pillows and the answer was NO. We have no decent pillows. Furthermore, the next morning, my wife's face was bitten in 3 places by something in her pillows.

We sat in front of the hotel for 30 minutes waiting for a luggage cart. I finally threw $15 at the guy at the door and started carrying my own bags into the hotel and told him “see my small children standing at that concierge desk with their grandmother? It’s after 11pm and time for them to go to bed. Help me NOW.

Self parking narrow – get ready for your car to be damaged.

Dirty elevators, especially in the parking area. The lights on the buttons don’t even work.
Restaurant was so cold that we decided not to eat and just get to a restaurant. I refuse to shiver while I spent $10 for some eggs and bacon. Seriously - $2.25 for glass of milk? $3.25 for a small carton of Tropicana orange juice?

What a shockingly bad place and yet people say such nice things about it?

Room Tip: If you must stay here insist on a high floor away from highway.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Upintheairtexas
dhollier, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Hello upintheairtexas,
Wow! I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience here. Our goal is to make sure all of our guests leave happy. It saddens me to read about your recent stay. Things happen wherever you go...we stand out when it comes to our service recovery and customer service. I hope that you will accept my sincere apology. I would appreciate it if you could give me some details so we can investigate your complaints and make sure that they are taken care of right away. I have sent you a private message to get additional information. Thank you for your review and I hope to hear from you soon.
Mandy Bates