“Exceptional Location and Price”

Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks
Ranked #79 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This CP is located in a unique place; within two miles on either side, you have Rice Village, the Galleria, Montrose and Rice University. There are few hotels in the area that are this well located; the Crowne Plaza's location next to 59 is fantastic and makes it easy to zip in and out. The staff were very friendly during my stay (as they are at most places in Houston) and gave me a helpful explanation as to how to work their parking garage gate. The room itself was clean with a good view, although the furnishings were not really new and seemed a little faded. The bed itself was comfortable, although the door jams of each room come with metal plates that clack loudly every time someone closes the door down the hall. This can keep you up if you like to nap, although I did not hear this at night after I went to bed. The only thing I did not like about the hotel was the sorry state of the parking garage; the stairwell seemed old and dirty, and it was difficult to maneuver if a lot of cars were parked in the same area. That said, it seemed easy to get in and out with my room key, so it was not that inconvenient. Overall, I had a great stay at this hotel and will likely book again in the future, if only because of its convenient location and friendly service.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room on a high floor. This will allow you to avoid some of the highway noise, al...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank stp0707
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Hellp stp0707,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice detailed review on our hotel. I see that you are a senior reviewer so I know that you travel often. It's nice to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, location and staff! We are an older hotel so we are constantly updating our property. We are in the process of updating our garage and we started with our state of the art parking machine. I am glad to hear that the in and out key service was convenient for you. We appreciate your review and we are glad to hear that you will be returning.
Debbie Hollier

Write a ReviewReviews (1,650)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

the hotel is a 4 star with the exception of the bedding. the staff are top of the line very pleasant and friendly. the location is excellent near restaurants, shopping , and the galleria. the rooms very big and nice bathrooms. the only needed improvement is the bedding. we travel so are familiar and get a feeling for a 3 to a 5 star hotel. the bedding is a 3.5 quality but the rest of the hotel is a 4 star. the small fridge and the microwave that is included is a very nice touch and makes the hotel great for an extended stay. the $15 for valet parking is the cheapest were others are $18 to $25 per night in this area. I would recommend this hotel its vey clean.

Room Tip: rooms with king bed also have sofa and desks and seem very big.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Hello RBLIBERTYTAX,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. I can tell from your review that you are a seasoned traveler. It's nice to hear that you loved our hotel and staff. I do apologize that the sheets did not meet your expectations. I will pass on your comments to the Director of Housekeeping so we can look into upgrading them. It is so great that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that the next time you stay with us that we will earn 5 stars!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza River Oaks for a number of years, going back to when it was the Holiday Inn at Greenway Plaza. With the name change came room renovations that have made it nicer and more comfortable than it was. If truth be told, it is not really near the tony neighborhood of River Oaks, but it is such a good hotel that I am willing to overlook this slight exaggeration. .

The location is near some good restaurants on Kirby, and not all that far from Westheimer where there are many more.

Our room was kept impeccably clean during the week we stayed there, and all the employees we encountered were exceptionally pleasant and welcoming. I must cite especially Roxanne B. at the front desk who efficiently handled my rather complex reservation which included nights with and without reward points, which mean that I had to check in and out and in again.Every morning when I passed the front desk she greeted me by name.

I will certainly continue to stay here on my trips to Houston.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Hello Joel F,
Thank you so much for writing such a raving review!! It is nice to hear that you had such a great stay and the our entire staff helped contribute to it. Roxanne does an amazing job and I know she will be thrilled to hear that she was mentioned for her hard work! I love hearing that you have been staying with us for years and we are honored that you continue to stay with us when you travel to Houston. I also love that you are an IHG rewards member! Thank you so much for your loyalty and we hope to see you very soon!
Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently organized a group business trip to Houston and we selected to stay at Crowne Plaza River Oaks. The location is not the greatest but the staff more than makes up for that little short fall. Mandy was outstanding! It's funny I see her name mentioned a lot in various reviews and she deserves the recognition! She really does make you feel welcome and goes above and beyond to take care of any questions or concern you have as you travel around an unfamiliar city. The front desk staff was excellent... I had a group of about 30 folks checking in all at one time and they handled them quickly and with easel! My group was checked in and relaxing in no time. Thanks again for a great stay and I highly recommend this hotel and especially their staff!!!

Hello SukyQ,
Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review on our hotel and staff! I am thrilled to hear that you group's check in went smoothly and they were able to quickly relax. Mandy does get mentioned pretty often for her hard work. She does a great job and deserves to be mentioned for her dedication to serve our guests. She loves hearing from guests that she has helped and I know that she will appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge her. Thank you for your review and recommendation! We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Crowne Plaza is a great place to stay for business, hotel staff very friendly and professional. Nice rooms. The concierge, Mandy Bates, was very helpful. Rooms are nice, room are clean. I will try to stay at this hotel every time a visit this area.

Room Tip: Make sure you are a IHG Reward Club member. Why not get points and enjoy your stay at the same time.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

hello d2hubble,
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review!! I'm pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and that you enjoyed our hotel and staff. We are honored that you have chosen us as your Houston hotel choice and we look forward to taking care of you again!
Safe Travels,

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stay here when I'm in town. This hotel clean, comfortable & spacious. The location is great & I love all the surrounding restaurants. Last night the concierge, Mandy suggested Mo's steakhouse and it was amazing. I recommend this hotel to all people. I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Hello Sheikelani,
Thank you so much for writing such a nice review. We are honored that you chose the Crowne Plaza River Oaks when your travels brings you to Houston. It's so nice to hear that Mandy gave you such a great dinner suggestion. She loves hearing from satisfied guests so I know she will be thrilled to read your review!
Safe Travels,

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I needed to find a hotel that was centrally located so it would be convenient for me to travel to my meetings. This hotel was perfect for what i was looking for. The staff was really friendly and Mandy was always willing to help when I had questions. The whole staff was great and the hotel was clean. I had a busy week so I scheduled a massage at the spa. They therapist was professional and the massage was great. I recommend this hotel to s types of travelers.

• Stayed: November 2013
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Hello LindseyC,
Thank you for such a nice review on our hotel, location and services! We do have a great location and I am so glad to hear that it works well for your business meetings. I love that we offer a spa so our guests can take a break to rejuvenate themselves during their travels. I will pass your praises to Mandy and the spa. I know they will be thrilled that they helped make your stay a great one!
Best Regards,