“Great Service”

Ranked #76 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I'm staying at the Crowne Plaza river oaks during a convention and I have to say it is one of the nicer hotels. I have two coworkers with me staying at the Hyatt and even though the rooms are comparable, the Crowne gives that genuine personnel service you won't find at other hotels. Jerry at guest services was very helpful and would greet me by name. I also received a personnel thank you card from Jerry and Sid which I thought was above and beyond.

I highly recommend talking to Mandy at the concierge desk. She helped us several times on recommendations for restaurants. We ran into her while she was off work and she came over just to make sure we where having a good time. Again, you won't get that personnel service at other hotels.

Facts about the hotel/area:
-cab from hobby airport cost ~$40
-The hotel is about a 10-15min ride to the convention center, and a cab will cost you about $15.
-There is a couple block area downtown that has several restaurants worth visiting. Not sure of cab cost because we walked from the convention center. If your a whiskey drinker, try reserve101. They have a very large selection and it's a down to earth bar. Across the street they have a House of Blues which had great music. Talk to Mandy before you head over, she can update you on what's going on. There are also two craft beer restaurants in other areas that she recommended.
-weekday traffic can be bad, so you will need to plan for it.
-cab rates are supposed to be fixed by zones, but my cab cost where all over the place
-several attendees rented cars which seem to work out ok for them. There are several garages around.

I'm sure there is a lot more in the area, but my time to explore was limited. Enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hello Tuntrol,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review!! I am sure that TA readers will really appreciate the great information in your comments. I am thrilled to hear that Mandy was such a great help and guided you and your colleagues with so many great recommendations. She loves to make sure all of guests enjoy the city as much as possible. I will pass on your gracious comments to her and I know that she will be thrilled to hear that she helped make your stay a memorable one.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Mandy at the Conceige Desk was incredible - she remembered our business group form the year before! She suggested excellent places to eat (Flemings was excellent) and she made sure my SuperShuttle was on schedule to pick me up for my return to the airport.

Room Tip: The hotel was nice but ask for room facing away from the highway if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Hello Paul P,
Wow!! I am thrilled to hear that Mandy helped make your stay such a great one! She really loves making sure that our guests enjoy our great city to the fullest!! She is very dedicated to service and I know that she will be thrilled that you took the time to recognize her hard work. It was our pleasure to assist yo and we look forward to having yo back next year for OTC!
Crowne Plaza River Oaks

Reviewed 8 May 2014

As always the service is excellent. If anything does come up the response is just what you want in a top notch hotel. Service at breakfast was timely and efficient. Choices were good. The bed and linen were extremely comfortable. I will continue staying at this hotel when in town.

Room Tip: Rooms with King Size bed--plenty of space

Hello bicylcledan,
Thank you so much for such fantastic feedback on our hotel!! We are honored that you have chosen CPRO as your hotel choice in Houston. I will pass on your review to the rest of our staff and I know they will be thrilled to read such nice comments from you. We look forward to your return!!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

People say that service is a disappearing art...but not here! I was very impressed with the front desk staff. Mandy was especially helpful. We made a mistake with a reservation, but she was understanding and did everything she could to help us out. She was successful and we had a terrific stay. Her knowledge of the area and dinner recommendations were spot-on. I love that when I walked in the door, they remembered my name! If you're coming to the area, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Hello Jennifer P,
Thank you so much for sharing such fantastic feedback on your recent stay! I am thrilled that Mandy impressed you with her knowledge and dedication to service. She truly loves hearing that she was able to help a guest have a wonderful stay. I will pass on your gracious comments to her. We look forward to taking care of you again!
Crowne Plaza River Oaks

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Overall, a very nice hotel with friendly staff. Stayed four nights. The location is convenient and fairly safe. The location is a few miles from Rice University and the Medical Center. The hotel's shuttle will take you to the Medical Center or the Galleria shopping mall. There are casual dining restaurants within walking distance. Whole Foods Market is less than a mile away. The Museum of Fine Arts is a couple of miles away. If you're into art, don't miss the Menil Collection, a small but world-famous art museum, open Wednesday-Sunday. The Menil Collection is two miles from the hotel. A 24-screen movie theater is just over a mile away. Bus routes running north-south or east-west are not too far away, but weekend service is not frequent. Houston is an automobile-oriented city, so you may want to rent a car. You will melt waiting for a bus or walking in the summer months (May-September.) Be aware, though, that the hotel charges for parking. The hotel room was spacious. The king bed was very comfortable. The shower was excellent. The room was well-equipped. However for a hotel in this class, the carpet in the room needed to be replaced. It was stained in places and showing some wear. The constant drone of traffic on freeway could be reduced with upgraded windows and heavier curtains. One serious disappointment: The air conditioner was not working in the hotel's Mercedes shuttle van. It was torture. Air conditioning is essential in Houston. They should have sent that van in for repairs and rented a replacement van.

Hello Stephen H,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay. I am sure that the TA readers will appreciate your detailed review on our hotel and the surrounding area. I did investigate your complaint on the A/C in the shuttle and I was told that it has always properly worked. As you stated in your review the weather can get pretty hot so I am truly sorry that the shuttle seemed warm. I will definitely have the drivers keep an eye on the temperature because we want all of our guests to be as comfortable as possible. I hope that the next time that you stay with us you will see our recent upgrades and we can earn 5 stars.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been to this hotel several times and am always amazed by how kind and helpful the staff is. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. I always feel like I am part of the family when I arrive. The restaurant and bar are awesome. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: So far, all of the rooms that I stayed in were clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello mhebert4,
Thank you for sharing such nice comments on our hotel and staff! I am thrilled to hear that you feel so comfortable here and that you are treated like family! That is so important to us and we deeply appreciate your loyalty and recommendation. It is our pleasure to assist you and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This hotel was very accommodating. We had a corner king room and were able to move to a larger double queen room. The free internet works well. Did not like paying $9 per day for parking. The sheraton next door has free parking. The room was clean up to date and comfortable bed. All staff, house keeping, restaurant, front desk are friendly and helpful. Restaurant breakfast was good but extra charge. I would stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Hello Brian D,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay. Its' nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff took such great care of you. I am glad to hear that your stay was a solid 4. Of course, our goal is to earn a 5 so I really hope that the next time you stay with us that we will earn a 5.