“If the Hotel is Half as AWESOME as the Management...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks

Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks
Ranked #59 of 501 Hotels in Houston
“If the Hotel is Half as AWESOME as the Management...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

If great hotels are created by great managers, then this hotel ranks in the top tier of Houston hotels. I want to thank and brag about one particular manager who I know as Grady. To tell the story, my toddler son was diagnosed with a hearing problem that required a specialize hearing test only available at the Texas Childrens Hospital, 500 miles from where we live. The test is done sedated and so he has to be cleared by a doctor prior to the test. About three months ago we had an appointment and I booked an overnight stay at the Crowne Plaza on Priceline. The week before the appointment, my son got very sick and we had to cancel the hearing test as he would not have passed the prior exam for sedation. I called the Crowne Plaza and asked to speak to a manager and was transferred to Grady. I explained my situation and asked if there was anything he could do to move the night of the stay to another night as Priceline will not do that without purchasing insurance ahead of time. He said that if I booked on the same day of the week as the previous stay, he would help me out. Fast forward to today and we have a place to stay for the rescheduled test, all thanks to Grady. Grady could have said he was sorry and there was nothing he could do, but his compassion and understanding of my family and my state of mind in this trying time tell us a lot about his character. To me, this is a man that takes the well being and needs of his customers into account and make decisions that are beneficial to both client and corporation alike. We will definitely be staying at this hotel the next time we are in Houston. Grady is this companies most valuable asset.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bo M
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hello Bo M,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a raving review on our front desk manager, Grady Wallace!! We really appreciate you sharing your story and acknowledging Grady for his dedication to service. Excellence is not our goal it's our standard! We are very lucky to have such a great staff that will do everything they can to make sure our guests leave completely satisfied. It is our pleasure to assist you!
Crowne Plaza River Oaks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
High Point, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This Hotel is above the rest. The staff is very friendly, professional, and make you feel like family.
I do spend at least 120 night a year in hotels throughout the country, and this one is one of my preferred hotels. I am treated just as I were at a family reunion. The staff is trying really hard to accommodate everyone's wishes and requests. This hotel has a good restaurant and bar. The service staff and bartender (Carlos) will treat you just like family. Additionally, there are many restaurants within easy walking distance near the hotel and the hotel is located very conveniently to the medical center, UH, the Galleria, Greenway Plaza, and Downtown.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Hello Thomas M,
Thank you for taking time to share your previous stay with us on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback and kind words about our property. Our staff prides itself on making every guest feel as welcomed and comfortable as possible. We are so thrilled that CPRO is one of your favorite hotels! We look forward to your return!!. Until then, take care and safe travels!
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very few places can say that they have a team that is committed to providing a high level of service. The Crowne Plaza River Oaks is one such place. I have been staying at this hotel for a number of years and recently every week and the entire staff is more than willing to bend over backwards to provide a positive experience to each and every guest.

If you want an excellent value and superior treatment I highly recommend that you experience the exceptional service provided by the staff at the Crowne.

Hello Gary H,
WOW!!! Thank you so much for your raving review!! We are honored that you have chosen CPRO as your home away from home. We are thrilled to hear that you have stayed with us for so long and that you continuously frequent our hotel. We really appreciate your loyalty and it is our pleasure to assist you! It really means a lot to us that you took the time to share such gracious comments on our hotel and staff! We look forward to your return!
Coffeyville, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Unfortunately we needed to come to the medical center in Houston. But fortunately we chose the Crowne Plaza for our stay. The clientele was wonderful....everyone from the shuttle drivers to front desk receptionists to Mandy Bates the concierge. We are returning home after a MONTH healed and have a smile on our faces because of these awesome people! :) Will always stay here when we need to come to Houston.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Sara B,
Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our hotel and staff!! I know that traveling for medical reasons can be difficult so I am thrilled to hear that Mandy and the rest of our great team made your stay such a great one! Also, congratulations on receiving a clean bill of health! It is our pleasure to assist you!!
Safe Travels,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Location was close to an appointment was reason for selection.

Service was OK but not exceptional.

Sheets had rust stains but clean )I hope).

Bed was comfortable and amenities were adequate.

Construction makes access a little difficult.

For Houston I suppose the place is OK.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TAMAN1951
Hello Taman1951,
Thank you for sharing your comments on our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enoyed your stay but was disappointed to read our hotel and staff did not exceed your expectations. Our goal is to make your stay a memorable one so I apologize that we did not "WOW" you. I really hope that you will give us another chance to earn 5 stars the next time your travels brings you to Houston.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The picture of the pool on their website is incredibly deceptive. I chose this hotel above others so I would have a pool oasis. I have seen better pools at trailer parks. Opaque (not clear) water, tiny, NO SUN. Because of the way the building sits, the pool area gets sun for a few hours a day. We went at 3pm. Sun was all over. TINY area. The only way the pool area could be worse is if it was above ground with a piece of poo floating in it. No bar service either, which might have made sitting by a dirty tiny pool with no sun palatable. Breakfast is 11 dollars and coffee is NOT included. Really, the cheapest possible thing you could make is not included? The buffet that cost $11 was sad and wilted with nothing left except remnants. No eggs. And after I asked for more eggs, they never refilled them. Oh and the CONTINENTAL buffet (what is free in other hotels because it is crappy pastries and fruit) is $8. Also Coffee Not Included. Parking is an additional $9 a day. There are no other parking options. I'm surprised they don't charge $2 for every elevator ride. Also ice machine broken on my floor.
Now the sleep.
AWFUL
There is construction going on outside the hotel and pool area that sounds like someone angrily knocking at your door. It never stops. If you have read Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart," It is a lot like that. Trying to sit by the dirty small pool in the shade "bang bang bang bang bang bang bang" Trying to sleep at 6:30 (yes, 6:30 AM) "bang bang bang bang bang bang bang"
Still trying to get some earplugs. Construction continues on weekends. Yay, Right to Work States.

Room Tip: Try to find a better hotel. I'm incredibly surprised this was rated 8 out of 169 hotels in Houst...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Niki N
dhollier, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello Niki N,
We appreciate you sharing your feedback on your recent stay. I am extremely saddened and sorry that you had such an awful time during your stay. It is so unfortunate that we have no control of the recent construction that has started surrounding our hotel. We realize that progress has its price and we are suffering as well. We have informed our guests the best way we could about the recent construction and I am sorry that you were not aware prior to your arrival. As for your comments on the pool, the hotel was built in 1984 and unfortunately we are not able to change the location of the pool. I have sent you a private message to further discuss these issues. We wish you well and we sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
Sid Siddiqi
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I was staying a the Crowne for a couple days after a recent surgery. I couldn't have felt more relaxed or in a better environment for recovery. The concierge, Mandy Bates, was the best! She ensured that anything and everything I needed was taken care of to make my stay 100% comfortable for my recovery. A+++++ The food was great and the parking attendants were very accommodating helping my mother and I get in and out of my vehicle. Great place for a staycation or R&R.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dhollier, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello Brian P,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay! Our goal is to make sure that your stay is as comfortable as possible and I am sure after surgery that is pretty difficult. It's nice to hear that Mandy and our valet staff were able to help alleviate any additional stress after your surgery. I will pass on your gracious comments to them and I know they will be thrilled to hear that they were mentioned for their dedication to service. It was our pleasure to assist you and we look forward to your return!
Get Well Soon,