“Stayed for business”

Ranked #14 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Stayed for business”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Was on a business trip that had me at one of the local medical campus buildings. The hotel was in a good location if you need to be local to medical campus. It is also on the light rail line so you can get downtown with relative ease. There are some fast food options right outside the hotel but not much int he way of "local fare" as it is very much a 9 - 5 part of town.

For those interested in concierge level access the evening lounge was up high with great views of the city. I was even offered a complimentary glass of wine the night I popped in. Breakfast is in a separate area on the second floor. A nice spread at breakfast including eggs and bacon/sausage daily in addition to the standard coffee and pastries. I felt like I had a full breakfast each day.

They also offer shuttle service to points within 2 miles of the hotel. They have two different cars running people around so I ended up waiting about 15 minutes for my departure and about 10 for my pick-up. I just had to call and let them know when I was ready for pick-up.

All in all a nice business trip hotel. My room was just ok but the service and amenities ont he property were very nice.

1 Thank Morcant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our recent trip was a combination medical and pleasure which made this property a good location in Houston. Of course, the rooms met the high standards of the Marriott. And, we expected the service to be professional and courteous, but each day of our stay was met with an unequaled level care and kindness from every member of the hotel staff. A special thank you is extended to Teddy, host of the Driscoll restaurant. We feel very fortunate to have met such an endearing, thoughtful person!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Matt M, Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Good Day, thank you for your great feedback about your recent stay with us. We will make sure to recognize Teddy and the hotel staff for providing outstanding service. We hope to see you back soon!

Matt
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Not only is this hotel in a key location in Houston--next to the hospital and medical center--but the staff at this property are some of the nicest people I've met lately in my travels. From check-in to the restaurant to special requests, everyone was polite, attentive, and knowledgeable. And Starbucks on property, nice plus.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My mom and I recently stayed here while a family member was in the hospital. We had not planned to stay, but we were able to get a reservation very quickly and easily. The room was clean and nice, but the bathroom is small. It was fine for just mom and I, but I think it would be difficult for a family to get ready in the small space. The bed and sheets were very comfortable, and the towels were nice too. A bonus is the hotel runs a shuttle to anywhere within 2 miles which is very convenient if you need to get to the hospital. There is also a restaurant and bar which serves food later at night after the restaurant closes. I would not recommend this hotel if your are vacationing, but it's great if you need easy access to the medical center.

Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We are a family of 5(two adults, two teens and one pre-teen). We chose this hotel for a weekend stay for an event in the museum district nearby. We had family staying at the Hotel ZaZa just up the street. This hotel was an affordable alternative to staying there. This hotel, being right in the heart of so many hospitals, probably best serves anyone visiting these medical centers. It is even actually connected by crosswalk to one hospital. However, with the rail system being literally out the front door, it made the museum district very accessible as well. It is also a very walkable area, with the proximity of Rice University and Hermann Park making for well-groomed sidewalks. We parked our car at check in and did not have to drive anywhere the whole weekend!
However, I would NOT CHOOSE to stay at this hotel again for one main reason: the room was much too small ! The five of us have stayed in many a hotel room together, and this is by far the most cramped we've ever felt. The bathroom was TINY, leaving no room for more than one person to be in there at a time (for example, one dressing at the mirror, while one showers). The mirror fogged over easily by the shower in the unvented, tight space; and the toilet took up most of the standing room. The only other mirror available was on a sliding closet door (flimsy-kept coming off track) in the entry. With no outlet plugs near that area, the two girls in our family had to resort to setting up a hairdryer/curling iron/make-up station at the business desk. We tried (unsuccessfully) to see ourselves in the glass of the picture above the desk. It did not help that there was no view- on the 12th floor, we were practically window to window with the ugly building next door.

There were positives: prompt, friendly check-in; room clean; good maid service, desk called to make sure we received the roll away bed we requested (we did); fresh/white bed comforters, clean/spacious work out room; nice sunlight in the lobby; crosswalk to the hospital has shops, lunch place; easy to pay for the parking at a machine by the elevators to the parking garage (connected to hotel)

But further not-so-greats: The indoor pool is nothing special/showing wear. The lobby, though having great windows, could use a bit of updating in the décor (not that bad, but not that good either); the lobby had complimentary water infused with fruits, but coffee would have been nicer. I say this about the coffee for two reasons. We were told by phone the first night that we could add our family to the hotel breakfast for only $30 total-can't beat that for 5 folks. But when we tried to do so the next morning, they told us that because we were booked through Expedia, that was a no-go...would have to pay full price (expensive). So, around the corner we go to a place that served breakfast, lunch and dinner-but they didn't serve coffee! What!? (Sit down, full breakfast places were limited in walking distance from the hotel.) There's a coffee pot in the room, but you know..that mug with breakfast kinda gets the day started out right.

In short, this Marriott had few frills. Just a month ago, we visited people staying at the Houston Marriott Energy Corridor- it was much much nicer! This property better serves business than pleasure, in my opinion. Also, I found the standard room to be too small for more than two people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Good day, thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear about your experience with your family. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable room so you can enjoy your time with us. If your travels do bring you back to our hotel our front desk would be happy to discuss some suite options in order to provide more space for your family. I am glad to hear about the great interactions you had with our staff members and we will make sure to recognize them for a job well done. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Best-Derek
new jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights in late May to attend a wedding in Houston. The check in and room were fine. We wanted to dine in the Hotels restaurant one night, but it was closed for a private party. There were no other restaurants within walking distance other than fast food places. The next morning we wanted morning coffee from the Starbucks in the lobby. It too was closed. I thought the $9 parking fee every time we went out of the parking lot was a bit excessive. Finally on the second morning the parents of the groom arranged for breakfast to be served. No one in the restaurant in the hotel knew any thing about it. We finally found out that it was in a separate room that neither the parents of the groom or restaurant employees knew about

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Good Day, I am sorry to hear about your experience while staying with us. We will be discussing the information you have provided to learn how we could have provided a better stay. We hope that one day your travels will bring you back to stay with us and I would recommend our valet service especially when exiting out of the garage multiple times as it has in and out privileges. In addition we do provide a complimentary shuttle that provides our guest’s transportation to visit Rice Village which has many great restaurants. Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.
Best- Derek
lubbock
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I just checked out yesterday after staying two nights while we had our son at Texas Childrens Hospital. This was one of the worst places we have ever stayed and we travel a lot. The property is outdated terribly. It has unclean rooms and the sheets smelt dirty. The proximity to hospital is wonderful and the room size is about the size of a hospital room to help get you acclimated to a hospital stay. The good news is you can sit on the toilet, reach to the sink and brush your teeth, close the door and run the bath water without ever getting up. Bartenders are terrible and rude. My wife and I both felt like we were visiting Graceland as the decor is about that outdated. Do not stay here!! Do your homework there are much better options cheaper!!! Budget motels are equal if not better than this experience. Lets not forget the pool.... WOW.... filthy and disgusting. You can't fix everything with 30 gallons of chlorine!! Oh and neat trick with the thermostat. It is calibrated so you think the room is cooler than it is. We keep our home 68 degrees and know what that feels like. We cranked this one down to 63 and I assure you it was atleast 72. Marriott this place hurts your image. I didn't do my homework because this was a Marriott and some places you assume to maintain a higher standard consistently than others. Corporate folks where are you???...Get off your rears and go take a look!!

2 Thank artibear
Derek E, General Manager at Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hello Artibear,
First and foremost, allow to express my sincere apologies for the experience you and your family had while staying at the hotel. This is certainly not the standard as we pride ourselves on providing a clean well maintained product with engaging guest service. I’m very disappointed that we failed to deliver that to you. I will be sharing your feedback with the team so that we can take immediate action to correct these challenges. While it is never easy to learn that we failed one of our guests, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I can assure that we will address this and I hope that we have the opportunity to regain your business in the future.
Best – Derek