“Not Worth the Points!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #175 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Chicago, Illinois
“Not Worth the Points!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Instead of staying with the crew at a host hotel during my last trip, I tried to earn some extra points with Hilton. Sadly, this was not a good experience for me.

The hotel is located in the medical district downtown and may have been attached to a medical facility of some kind. Location is good but parking- not so much. The first impression was the garage, where I assume, doctors and staff park; sheerly based on the makes and models of the 12 cars in total that occupied the entire first 3 "Reserved" floors.

The room wasn't anything to write home about. Bed was comfy but curtains were affixed to the track, so I couldn't close heavy ones when undressing (had to bring everything inside the bathroom), and couldn't open the sheers when I woke up.

Room service stops at 11pm on a Saturday and I was kind of hoping for it to run a bit later than that, so I ordered breakfast for the next morning instead.

They forgot to include the main part of the dish. Of course, I realized afterwards and the eggs weren't cooked all the way through so I couldn't eat those entirely either.

When I went down to the desk to request an updated bill, I mentioned that I didn't recieve what I ordered and the concierge didn't apologize or ackowledge my comment, printed a bill including the breakfast and asked me to turn in my key.

Next thing you know I am backing up in a parking garage with a line of two other cars because he forgot to mention I needed that to raise the gate.

Oy! Not impressed! Hope you have a better expeience than I did!

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Britt U, Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
While we do share the garage with the professional building next door, the parking elevators provide easy access to the lobby from each floor. I will address with the department managers your particular comments regarding your food and beverage experience and departure. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rome
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

The hotel is a bit outdated but it is close to Rice and not far from MD Anderson. They have a car service that brings you to museums or hospitals every 30 minutes. Breakfast does not have many choices, but it is ok. The air conditioning is a bit noisy. You can easily listen to people of your next room if you have a communicating door. Service is fairly good.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Britt U, General Manager at Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are constantly looking at ways to improve the guest experience throughout the hotel. We are in the process of making several changes to enhance our morning food and beverage experience.
Afton, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

We stay here when visiting md Anderson. Very quiet room! Once when I did not feel well from chemo I called room service and they made me a sandwich I requested that wasn't on the menu. Great customer service!!!!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to send your response. I will make sure to pass along your comments to the team members. A great guest experience is the goal of each member of our team.
Grand Prairie, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center - good service for our college football team & families.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate the opportunity to host you and your family and friends when you travel. Thank you for choosing the Hilton Houston Plaza!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Checking in at the Hilton was a breeze once someone was nice enough to open the door at midnight. Security seems to be the key, but I was lucky that there was someone on the other side of the door who notice my presence. For my total surprise my online check in had stuck (the first time ever) and I even got to keep the room I've selected. I was upgraded to a suite (available for selection on the online check-in), not that it mattered for one night. When asking about breakfast coupons,I was just told to come down to the restaurant for breakfast and no coupon was given (more on that later).

The room itself is dated, but nice and big and would just do for one night. No view to speak off but this is about Houston not about the hotel. Unfortunately it seems it was not thoroughly cleaned as one of the trash can was not empty. I've discovered it only in the morning.

After consuming breakfast at the restaurant they have told me I should have gone to the "special room" and not the main restaurant. I was not charged though. So if you are here just pay attention.

All in all, a perfectly acceptable stay for one night.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MDDCFlyer
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed here on a Business trip right before Thanksgiving. It's on a quiet street (Travis st) just about 2 blocks from Texas Medical center. I had a suite overlooking Rice Univ. campus on a really high floor, I think 18th. Room service was good; the one-bedroom suite was very spacious and business rate was reasonable. There is a continuous shuttle to the medical center if that's your reason for visiting. Breakfast at restaurant in lobby is good. Really no complaints and it seemed the property was in good condition and very courteous staff. There is a business center which will work in a pinch (I forgot to bring my laptop!) but the computers are a bit slow. Internet access in the rooms would have been complimentary so bring your own computer.

Room Tip: The northwest side overlooks Rice campus.