“Internet slow or down” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #170 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Ashburn
“Internet slow or down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Not much more to add. Was here for a week and it was lousy the entire time. How can a hotel in 2014 not have reliable, decent internet service???

Hoterl staff were very nice. This rating is strictly due to the Internet lack of service.

Trip was combined government business/personal travel. I was on the government rate for work, they would not let me have the lower special rate for the weekend while I was on persoanl travel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelGal624
Steve R, General Manager at Courtyard Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear TravelGal624,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay. I apologize that you experienced a lousy internet connection throughout your stay. This is certainly an issue we are addressing and will be correcting within the next 4 weeks. Our provider has experienced their own issues which have affected their service to us and, in turn, to you. But, as stated, we are correcting that within the month. I am unclear as to your other issue with the rate. If you booked your stay as a goverment employee and then were extending this rate over the weekend, the government rate we offer, at times, is lower than our offered weekend rate.
I appreciate you staying with us and as that you give us another opportunity to have you as our guest and have you experience our upgraded internet.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brunei Darussalam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

The hotel has had a makeover since I stayed there last, a few years ago. The entrance lobby is now cavernous, to the point that it feels more like a huge conference room than a hotel entrance lobby. The service at the front desk was decent, nothing to complain about or complement. The rooms were very comfortable, and I have to say, I loved the Paul Mitchell amenities. The shampoo was the highlight. The beds and sheets were also very nice.

However, the most unappreciated part of the hotel is new breakfast system. They have removed the buffet breakfast, and instituted a wannabe trendy cafe, where you are given a ticket to order a menu item. Giving them a paper ticket feels so unprofessional and cheap. If wanted to order breakfast from a menu, I would go to a restaurant. From the hotel, I want the opportunity to choose what I want and get in an out quickly. I don't expect or appreciate the attempt to be gourmet at the Courtyard, when I know that in the back kitchen, these items are probably mass-produced from packages and containers. They make a good attempt at hip, and maybe this really works for some, but it was not to my liking, and I won't be returning to this Courtyard, which is unfortunate, because as a Marriott Rewards member, I like to stay at Marriott properties.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank eriktera
Steve R, General Manager at Courtyard Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Eriktera,
Thank you for sharing your experience with your recent stay with us. I am sorry you did not like our lobby makeover nor our new Bistro concept that was rolled out a few years ago to all Courtyard hotels. Our goal is that you enjoy your experience from check-in to check-out and everything in between and unfortunately we did not achieve this goal with our restaurant service. I will have to clarify to you that the food is made fresh in our kitchen and is not prepackaged or in containers.
I appreciate your patronage to Marriott Hotels and Resorts as a Marriott Rewards member and just ask that you give the Courtyard Bistro concept another try, you may find something on the menu that appeals to you since items do change every quarter.
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have been at this hotel several times because it's very close to my company's offices.
The room is standard. The most disturbing thing is the air conditioning that is extremely noisy.
The other annoying thing is there is no buffet breakfast anymore. You have to go to a counter and order dishes one by one. You end up eating too much and paying too much if you want to have a varied breakfast.
The main thing I like is the free wifi, that is quite fast.
And of course the ballpens. They have the best hotel ballpens. Obviously not enough to get a better score, also taking in account that the price is not cheap.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank busterMilan_Italy
Dear busterMilan_Italy,
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with your stay. I am sorry your stay was met with a noisy air conditioning unit and that you do not like the Courtyard Bistro concept. We service our air conditioning units almost 3 times a year to ensure they operate efficiently and with as little noise as possible, I am sorry you were in a room that needed service. The new Bistro has replaced the old buffet concept due to a change with the times. With our inclusion of Starbucks it was necessary to revamp our food service area and with that the buffet went away. I am very glad to read that you like our pens.
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

i have stayed at this hotel several times and wanted to book another meeting. Kimbra Hill did a nice job the last meeting we had at this hotel. Well their attitudes have really changed. They were not full - but would not come off their "rack" rate even for a platinum member who was booking a meeting room. Then they would not even come off their rate for the meeting room even though it would be for only a 1/2 day (morning only) and the fact that i was going to purchase lunch for 15 people.
So i booked with a H/I just down the street - meeting room was 1/2 of Marriott price - their room rate was about the same but they did come off the "rack" rate. It isnt the money -- everyone have to make a profit - i just do not care for the "we are doing you a favor" attitude. I can spend my money elsewhere. Business may be good but if customers go other places it wont be for long.

Room Tip: Try another Marriott
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Steve R, General Manager at Courtyard Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear L G L,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your meeting room booking. I apologize if you felt that my sales person was being condescending during your interaction with her as I believe the conversation may have been miscommunicated with you in some way. We appreciate our Platinum Marriott Rewards members and do our best to apply a discount to their meeting room needs whenever possible and I believe a discount was offered to yours as well. I am sorry that this meeting did not work out for both of us but I ask that you give us another opportunity to serve you and show you that what you experienced was an isolated incident.
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Business hotel. Easy connect to various locations. Malls nearby. Very friendly staff. Good breakfast menu. Very cordial bus ride to customers location. Flexible and friendly. Taxi service in Houston is bad, hence, recommend hire a vehicle and drive along. Overall good stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve R, General Manager at Courtyard Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear DPC14,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your patronage to Marriott Hotels and Resorts and my property.
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Arrived on a very late flight to check-in. Was assigned a room where I needed to walk outside across a courtyard pulling my luggage (I'd hate to have to do this in a rainstorm). Turned on my air conditioner and it turned into a freight train - rattling and rumbling amazingly loudly. Too tired to get dressed and change rooms; plus only a few hours until my meeting I stayed and tried to sleep. Check your air conditioner before you settle in.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ild
Dear ild,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry you had an issue with our air conditioner, we do check these on a regular basis so I apologize this one was missed. You come to a hotel for a good night's rest. We do have corridors to allow guests to get to their room from the lobby area, it sounds like you took our shortcut through our courtyard area. I appreciate you staying with us and hope to have you as a guest again to show you that what you experienced was an isolated incident.
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Hotel was conveniently located right off of I-10. The room was clean and sizable. The bed and the furnishings were comfortable. Lobby is large and has the typical restaurant found in Courtyards. The room was quiet even on the first floor. The price was reasonable for Houston. Service desk was very friendly and helpful. The fitness room was nice, but too small for the number of people attempting to use the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve R, General Manager at Courtyard Houston I-10 West/Energy Corridor, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear Binaustin,
Thank you for sharing your recent stay's experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have plans in the future to expand our exercise room. I appreciate your patronage to Marriot Hotels and Resorts and my property.
Steve Ryan