“needs major renovation”

Reviewed 11 June 2013

1. Hotel lobby and room had horrible smell
2. No elevator if someone had wheelchair
3. Toliet barley flushed
4. Shower curtain did not fully cover shower. Made a mess.
5. Shower seemed to only provide hot or cold water. Had to get an even temperature,
6. If you stay on the weekend there is a club across the street and people race on the road. You will hear it thru the night. Hotel employee says the cops do nothing about it.

Hotel room had nice tv, microwave, and fridge. Front desk gentleman did offer to switch my room when I complained about the toliet. Many restaurants around the area,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Haslet, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We had the misfortune to have booked this hotel through Priceline.Com. This hotel is one of their "name your own price" hotels and you don't get to see the name or reviews until after you have paid. I only booked this hotel because I had a sick dog traveling with us and needed a hotel that allowed pets, close to the reliant center, and in my price range. Our first night there we were given a room that the air conditioning did not work in so we were given another room about 2 hours after checking in. The next morning we got up and discovered that the toilet in our room wouldn't flush. We called the front office and they sent the maintenance man and he plunged the toilet and it worked. We left the hotel for business and returned around 9pm. At that time we discovered that the toilet was not flushing again and called the front desk where we were informed that the maintenance man was already gone so there was nothing she could do. We asked her about a plunger and she said they had one but because she was the only staff member there she could not leave to bring it to us. We told her we would go up there and pick it up on our way back from dinner. When we returned from dinner (about 2 hours later) we went to the office and the man behind the desk had not been informed of our problem and went to find the plunger. When he returned to the desk he told us that he could not find a plunger so there was nothing he could do. We told him that we refused to stay in a room with no working toilet and we recommended that they find or buy one. The man said that he would continue to look for the plunger. At midnight we were called and told that he couldn't find a plunger but would allow us to switch rooms - again. We declined the new room because it was midnight and we had 2 sleeping children. The next morning at 7am we called again and they did send the maintenance man back to our room with a plunger. This time he fixed the toilet (tried to blame it on the kids) and left the plunger "just in case". That toilet had to be plunged EVERY time you had to flush. Not only will I NEVER stay in another Best Value Inn but I will NEVER use Priceline again. I am not a pretentious person but this hotel cant even deliver on the basics. After spending 3 days in that area of Houston I can assure you that there are PLENTY of other hotels in the same vicinity and around the same price that are actually worth staying in.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nikk0leG
Edinburg, Texas
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights in October for doctor visits at MD Anderson. We had a 2nd floor room overlooking a huge swimming pool and you can sit out on the balcony which is nice. The beds were comfortable and clean, however the room AC unit is positioned by the window so the air blasts right on your face while sleeping. Otherwise, we slept okay and it was quiet.
The bathroom fixtures are old and when first turning on the shower, the water runs out brown, like it hadn't been used in awhile. We couldn't really get the water temperature regulated for the shower (it was scalding hot, then cold, then hot) so we just took baths.
The television remote wouldn't work so someone came to fix it, but it quit working a few minutes later. It didn't matter since we didn't watch much TV anyway.
The hallways and lobby have a funky smell -- like an old motel.
Breakfast was pretty good with cereal, muffins, toast, apples, waffles, juice and boiled eggs. Coffee, not so good, but there's a Starbucks right next door!
Overall, if you're trying to save money and you have to stay a few days, it's okay, but I will try a nicer place next time, even if it costs a bit more.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are better than overlooking the parking lot, especially if you're goi...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dinabwilson
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My son is a cancer patient at MD Anderson and we stayed here for 5 nights recently. He is light sleeper and found the room and the A/C very quiet. Any early question were resolved ASAP. Bathroom door did not lock, but that was not a problem for us. The beds were very comfortable and housekeeping cleaned, tidied up, and dumped the trash early daily. Shirley and the other desk workers were fantastic as were the shuttle drivers. It was so comforting not to have to fight traffic and find parking at the hospital. The continental breakfast was adequate. My son particularly liked having a Starbucks next door. The hotel is located close to a drugstore, restaurants, and Loop 610 which in Houston takes you anywhere you want to go. No fitness center was available, but there was a nice outdoor pool that we didn't have time to use. We wish to thank the staff at this hotel for their awesome attitudes and wonderful service. Without question we plan to stay here again sometime.

Room Tip: Inside courtyard rooms are the quietest. Parking is right in front of your door.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank dnyfarris
Houston
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was visiting the medical center and had to stay in the area on a short notice. I had no reservation. I got some hotel names from the hospital lobby and called a few paces. America's best value inn was nearby, available and inexpensive.
The place is old and needs a lot of work.
With that said, It was Ok for the amount I spent ($65) that included free wifi and free contiental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Joseph L
Zapata, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am a patient at MD Anderson Cancer Center, and I can honestly say that service here is just EXCELLENT, and that I personally recommend this hotel for your next visit to the Houston area. Shirley, Corey, Maria along with all the housekeeping and shuttle drivers truly make the experience and stay "at home". Thank you all for your kindness and generosity during our stay. TWO MAJOR THUMBS UP FOR ALL OF YOU!!!!!

Alex

Room Tip: I believe anybody will be pleased to stay at this location.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Alex A
abvi1705, Director of Sales at Americas Best Value Inn-Texas Medical Center/Reliant Park, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
July 25-12

Dear Hotel Guest:

In regard to your nice comments we would like to say
Thank You.

We hope to have you as a guest for along time.

Look forward to having you back real soon.

Sincerely

Management and Staff
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Disclaimer: I am writing this review having checked in only one hour ago. Additionally, I did not expect a "high end" hotel for a bargain price rather, a clean and well maintained hotel without the amenities.

First, perception is reality. My first impression of the hotel was a sense of impending doom and uncertainty. My suspicians were confirmed after conducting a visual inspection of the room which includes but is not limited to a poorly repaired front door, inoperable smoke detector, multiple broken bathroom tiles, no threshold between the bathroom tile and carpet, mulitple cracks in the walls, amauteur spackle repair in the walls and ceiling, aged/stained carpet, and the bathroom door literally falling off of the hinges. In the interest of brevity... I will stop there. Furthermore, my 6 year old stated that the room smelled (which is true) and my 11 year old asked if we were safe?

Again, I didn't expect a luxury hotel but I also didn't expect the chance of staph, MRSA, or need a tetanus shot after the stay. I have literally traveled the world and stayed in some very austere environments; however, I would never intentionally subject my wife and children to this type of living arrangement even for one night. We highly considered going to another hotel but arrived so late it was more advantageous to just weather the storm.

In the interest of fairness- the staff that I have encountered thus far were helpful and it is quiet. That doesn't negate the fact that I am shocked by the condition of this hotel and would be extremely disappointed to pay $35 dollars a night much less $70 per night. Last week I stayed at an extremely nice hotel in the vicinity for the same price but it was not available for these dates. Bottom line up front: I would rather sleep through a mortar attack than stay here again due to the condition of the property.

With regret,