“Old facility, well maintained but...”

Hyatt Regency Houston
Ranked #32 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel is an old one, looks like they are spending moneys in maintenance, but two major issues:
1) noise coming from the AC unit @ the room (they offer ear plugs to being able to sleep, we do not like to use ear plugs, bottom line.... we did not sleep at all)
2) food is pretty bad. We asked for in room service (dinner and breakfast). For dinner we ordered a pizza, probably the worst one that I ever tried ! and for breakfast, we ordered several things, among them some pancakes for my son..... they came burned out !
I usually go to Houston for business at least once a month, this time we went there (my wife, my son and I) for an event organized by the Texas Music Teachers Association, most probably we will never stay here again.

Room Tip: We asked for a Corner room, paid the difference. If you are going to stay @ this hotel, ask for one...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,079)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Was in houston for a conference. Loved this hotel. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and it was close to every thing downtown including the stuff underground. I will stay here again if I ever have to go back to houston.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you so much for your 5-star review! We are thrilled to hear that you loved the hotel, and we loved having you stay with us. We enjoy being connected to the tunnels as well, it certainly makes walking around downtown a little cooler in these warm summer months. If you do ever come back to Houston, we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my first time staying at the Hyatt during the Quilt Show week. I was very impressed by the ease of check-in (even though it was 9:00 a.m.). The staff tagged and placed my luggage in storage until I could return later that evening. They were very accommodating and pleasant. Direct transportation to the the convention center was at the side of the hotel (kudos to the City of Houston for providing this service free of charge) and pick up was every 15 minutes. The same returning to the hotel. Reclaiming my luggage was simple and efficient and I was in my room within 10 minutes. The room was sparkly clean and well appointed -- thank you housekeeping! I chose to get a late meal at the cafe -- the staff was accomodating and thoughful in making me a veggie sandwich so late. Breakfast the next morning in the restaurant was again, very pleasant. The only thing I missed was Tex-Mex!

I left my luggage again in check-out storage which I retrieved when I returned at 3:00 to catch my on time shuttle to the airport. Would definitely recommend staying there again.

Room Tip: Can't speak for any other rooms, but mine (on 9) overlooking the poole was quiet and restful.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide us with feedback on your stay. We are pleased to hear that your check-in was easy and you enjoyed your veggie sandwich; our staff makes it a point to enhance our guests' stay in any way possible and we're glad they were able to do that for you. We thoroughly enjoy having guests for the quilt show stay with us, and hope to see you again later this year!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I just returned from a three-day state convention at this establishment. The last time I attended the same event at this location I was not favorably impressed by the hotel, feeling that it was past its prime. In the interim the place seems to have received an extensive renovation and it shows. My room on the 27th floor (a very reasonably priced upgrade) was quiet, comfortable and clean, even though all rooms face out onto the central atrium and noise can waft upward when the place is busy. I had dinner one night at Shula's, the on-site upscale restaurant, and was favorably impressed. There is valet parking, but you can also self-park in the garage next door (not affiliated with the hotel, even though it is called the Regency also) and walk across to the second floor (which, confusingly, is the third level of the garage). Parking there is a manageable $15 a day. The drawbacks I encountered were because of the crowds--slow elevators at peak hours (the alternatives of taking the escalators as high as the third level or the stairs for short hops were much preferable) and inefficient service at the Einstein's bagel place in the lobby that resulted in needlessly long waits. Overall, the triangular shape of the building can cause some confusion until you get oriented. Still, this was a well-run establishment. I'd return here on my own.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a room on the upper floors is quite reasonable and gives you spectacular views, though...
1  Thank Kiyoshi T

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency Houston and sharing your review; we love hearing from Trip Advisor senior contributors such as yourself. We are so glad you gave us a second chance and we able to enjoy our great renovations. We are also very proud of our Shula's Steakhouse, so we greatly appreciate the comments in your review. We would love to have you visit us again in the near future!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for a week of business meetings, where we also used a conference room during the week.

The hotel itself has limited "self-parking" on three floors, so if you're going for a meeting you'd better arrive early before it fills up. Given the heat that can be in Houston, there are connections to the parking and adjacent buildings though bridges.

The building itself has a hollow core with the rooms surrounding it, which as others have mentioned can cause any noise to travel straight up to every room - especially when you're there during a few days of a cheerleading competition. It's a beautiful (and fear-of-heights inspiring) design, but doesn't seem to have taken sound into consulting.

In the meeting rooms, staff were very attentive.

1  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Was in town for business - the hotel has been remodeled and the lobby and rooms look good. This is a very large place, which can make it seem a little more impersonal. I did go to the Shula's restaurant three times while there (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and it was good, albeit more choices would be better

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David M
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was here or a conference, room was nice and I slept great. Loved the fact that I was able to get a good espresso drink and fresh Einstein bagel any time of the day.
Also had breakfast one morning at the restaurant and the best part was the amazing friendly service.
The bar was nice and relaxing with the open air space annex the hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Always remember to ask for room far from elevator, I do now and sleep much better.
1  Thank Ceci_Trovels