“Too Busy”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Mauldin, South Carolina
“Too Busy”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here due to a Presbyterian Assembly meeting. At the same time another huge meeting was going on that was so frustrating. Also these group of people met for the longest time. We just happened to stay a few days longer to take in some touring and these people had their conference for over a week and a half. This meeting group had their table sitting right close to the entrance of the hotel.This made it very inconsiderate for other guests coming in right at the entrance. These group of people constantly congregated at the entrance and literally took over just about the whole downstairs facility. You could not relax due to these people congregating constantly in the lobby and especially at the front.. I think the hotel should have had these people have their table set up in the upper floor meeting areas so not to interfere with the other guests staying here. I did have a problem with the hotel holding my hotel fee twice. I had one fee clear my bank and then also held this same amount. I had an alert from my bank very early in the morning stating I was overdrawn. I knew this could not be. I discovered on my phone that the amount charged for the room had cleared ; but also this same amount was also being held. I came downstairs to straighten it out. The desk clerk was very nice, but he even noticed something was not right and so ask another girl whom I assume was a night manager, and she even looked puzzled. I don't think she understood that the hotel had their money ( it cleared my bank). However I also had it also in pending, therefore causing me a negative balance in my checking account.. I showed this on my phone to her to her and she made me feel like I didn't know what I was referring to.. I worked at a bank for over 17 years and I do understand. I then called my bank and they told me the hotel needed to take the hold off. When I gave the night manager this information and the bank's phone number she told me she would make sure I received a call later on that morning. I did not receive that phone call. So that afternoon I had to go back down to the desk,and I did have two nice girls Irida and Vera help me and they were able to straighten this out. I do thank them for this. However this caused a whole day to deal with this and having to not spend money. The rooms are nice and most days had really good service . I do think overall the staff were very friendly and efficient. My husband and I would come back from a run and the valet person out front would always greet us with a cold bottle of water. Thank you day valet person- you were the greatest. We did splurge one evening and had dinner at Shulas Restaurant It was very good but very pricey. The breakfast is way too expensive and so we chose not to eat there. I think the hotel would benefit greatly if they had a restaurant that was not as pricey.Perhaps if we come this way again from South Carolina the hotel will arrange better services for huge meetings instead of right there in the opening entrance of the lobby.

Room Tip: Get a corner room on the opposite end of the elevators. You get more room and it is very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide us with feedback on your stay. Please accept my apologies that your experience fell short of your expectations. I do appreciate you sharing your observations as we are always looking for ways to improve. Be assured that we will follow-up with training our Front Desk staff on how to appropriately hold funds on our guests cards, as we know how difficult it can be to have additional funds withdrawn. I was glad to read that overall our staff was friendly and that our Valet staff really wowed you with their excellent service. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future as we would love to make up for a less desirable stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We were in town for a good convention and didn't get to choose our hotel. We traveled with another couple and requested to be on the same floor as each other. We were on the 29th floor a few rooms down from each other. When we went into our room it was very outdated but clean. We then went to see our friends room which was very updated and very clean. It was a very strange hotel to me since none of the rooms matched. Would probably never stay here due to how loud it was. With the door shut it sounded like a non stop party! Food was not worth the prices.

• Stayed June 2014
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed here for one night, (6/22)- I "thought" using 6,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points to upgrade to a suite. Our suite was 2 rooms, very large the "Imperial suite", at the end of a hall, so it was quiet, 3011/ 3012. When I initially sent the email to the hotel about using the points I never heard back, come to find out, you have to book that thru the Gold Passport people, not thru Hyatt reservations. Also I checked on the reservations for an e-upgrade, well they did not tell me upon check-in if I was upgraded using points or the e-upgrade and how much more it was going to be. They should always clarify your room rate as you check-in and ask if you still want to pay more for an upgrade. Anyway, after a few phone calls to the Gold Passport people it all got straightened out before our departure. They resolved the issue quickly, but then tried to charge us for breakfast which was already included in our rate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay at the Hyatt Regency Houston. We were disappointed to here about the issues when booking your room and using your Gold Passport points to upgrade to a suite. We sincerely appreciate loyal Hyatt guests such as yourselves and have shared your concerns with our Front Desk and Reservations staff so that everyone is properly informed of the procedures and are able to better assist our guests. We are glad we were able to resolve it quickly, but will do everything in our power to make sure the mix-up doesn't happen again. We appreciate your honest feedback and would love to see you in Houston again soon.
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The rooms are lovely. I found my room to be modern, stylish, and roomy enough for a downtown Hyatt. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. When I closed my door, I couldn't hear any of the noise happening in the lobby (which tends to echo because of the open center through the entire building. The bathroom is spacious enough, though I found the water pressure to be a bit underwhelming.

This hotel is huge. There are hundreds of rooms, and that is evident when they are at capacity. There are thousands of people running around their lobby. When I stayed here, there was a Christian teen convention, and it was torture. Kids were running around the lobby, the elevator area, the fitness center, lying on the floor wherever they could. The elevators couldn't handle the volume, so people were waiting a long time to get an elevator. I got frustrated and went to the bar. When I came back to the elevators, it was only a 10 minute wait to catch an elevator upstairs to the 15th floor. Not exactly ideal after a long day at work.

I like the rooms well enough, but the frustration at the amount of people here and the hotel's inability to handle the volume is enough to make me find a different place to stay in Houston. I don't think I would recommend it to a friend, either.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor so you can take the stairs up to your room and bypass the elevator experience.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Eagle, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Due to bad weather I was forced to spend the night in Houston. How lucky to have stayed at this top notch hotel. Besides being large (isn't everything in Texas large?) the service was first class. It is the simple things that make you feel special like opening your room door to nice music and seeing your name on the TV screen. Comfortable bed, great linens, quiet even in a room facing the beautiful downtown businesses.

Room Tip: As long as you like elevator rides any level is good
Green Features: Efforts are appreciated. The water efficient plumbing has no impact to the water pressure.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We are thrilled to hear about your great stay at the Hyatt Regency Houston. We've made a commitment to placing our guest’s experiences as a high priority in the heart of everything we do, and would like to thank you for recognizing our efforts. The next time you stay with us, we'll make sure to have more great music playing and a lovely TV welcome message for you! Thanks again!
Plano
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We went to TMTA convention June 13-15 that was held at Hyatt hotel.

Room
I booked my room back in April and requested room with 2 double beds since we were a family of 4. We get there and clerk tells us, "Hotel is filled to capacity, they can offer us a king bed room." They roll in a twin sized cot. Their is a chaise lounge type chair, and a king size bed that looks about the size of our son's queen size bed at home. We make do. In middle of night, the son sleeping on the chaise climbs into our bed as the chaise isn't comfortable to sleep on. We didn't complain.

Elevator
Next morning, we take stairs from 17th floor down because elevators can't cope with the capacity of people in hotel, and people on our floor waited upwards of 20 minutes to catch a elevator that wasn't full to go down. We also take stairs back upstairs, because you ran into the same problem trying to go up from lobby.

Parking
Already spending $150 a night and they charge $20+ to park every day.

WIFI
Advertise FREE Wifi. It is only free in the lobby. They charge $10+ per day (plus tax or fees) if you want to use in your room.

FOOD
Only have Einsteins Bagel and a hotel restaurant. How do you charge $150 and not offer a breakfast buffet at your restaurant???

I would have thought they had a boutique store in hotel, you know, to buy essentials like aspirin, women/men toiletries, etc. - not so...however, there was a CVS nearby. It was 5 blocks away. They offered to give me a ride, but I thought, I could walk 5 blocks. OMG, after 3 blocks you enter a pretty much scary area of homeless, drunk, druggie looking people. I approach the CVS and discover it closed at 5pm along with all the other places I passed with bars on windows (McD, Starbucks, Subway, etc.) - Yea, should have taking the lift they offered. Nevertheless, I made it back safely.
Overall, I give this a 3. It is pretty inside and well maintained, but I think it's ashame they nickel and dime you on parking and WIFI and that their elevator system is inadequate for big crowds.

Room Tip: Kept hearing sirens (police, ambulance, etc.) throughout night, I'm guessing to deal with the un...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Brussels
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week and although overall the hotel was ok, I would not recommend it to anyone.

I accidentally left a bunch of clothes in one of the drawers of the cupboard and reported this to the hotel to arrange for a colleague yo pick them up. When they finally got back to me, they told me they never found these items and would take no further action to question their staff or compensate me....they were very rude and I could not believe they would not even look into it. I lost €750 worth of (mostly new) clothes....

Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank KW_BE
Tom J, Manager at Hyatt Regency Houston, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Please allow me to seize this opportunity to personally apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. I have sent you a direct message and look forward to hearing back from you; I want to make sure we have exhausted every outlet to find your clothes and resolve all of your concerns.