“Horrible Experience”

JW Marriott Houston
Ranked #24 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just got back from a trip to Houston. Though my stay was short, I had a horrible experience at the JW Marriott. I ordered room service after a long day, and was told I'd have it in 1/2 hour. An hour and 15 mins later, still no food. I called down, was told again it was on it's way, another half an hour passes with no food. I paused the movie I was watching, fully aware that if I changed the channel I would lose the movie and be charged for it. I never changed the channel, just paused it so I could deal with trying to get my food delivered. It canceled my movie regardless, and charged me for it.

It was a terrible experience to have after a long week of traveling on business. The staff did not handle it well and did nothing to make me feel like they even cared.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Katelyn E
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Hi Katelyn - I am so sorry to hear that we fell short on your recent stay. We pride ourselves on delivering great service and it does not appear that you experienced that during your business stay. I will reach out to you directly to gather more details so that I can research the issues that you mentioned and make sure that they are rectified for all future guests. Naturally, we hope that you will give us another try to show that we can deliver "swift" service that is warm and caring, these are all basic elements of our service culture. I look forward to your response to my email so that we can address your concerns. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This Marriott is right across the street from the famous shopping mall The Galleria, and is also conveniently located within a few freeway miles from the Museum District, Rice University walking trail, Hermann Park, and the Asian shopping area on Bellaire Street.
Our room, on the 12th floor, is nice and clean, and the king size bed is very comfortable. The lobby is also roomy. The staff, from the concierge, the belt boys, the car valet parking staff, the housekeepers, to the persons at the front desk (particularly, Malcolm) are all super nice and courteous. Valet parking will set you $30 back, while plenty of free underground parking would cost $17 per night. Of course, there is also in room wi-fi, but it'll also cost you some extras, unless you are a Gold Elite or better!
Overall, we'd recommend this one and of course we will revisit for times to come.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thehiep

Thank you so much for your review. I must admit that I never get tired of hearing great comments about our staff. It means so much that you mentioned Malcolm by name and that he made a wonderful impression and ensured a comfortable stay for you.

The Galleria area is truly the heartbeat of our city with a plethora of shopping, dining and entertainment venues. This has increased demands for hotels and parking in our area naturally. Our city pricing reflects much they same as other large high demand cities in the U.S. While we know that the pricing may be a bit higher than some other Texas cities, we feel it is a value compared to other top 5 cities in the country. Rest assured that we will continue to deliver spot on JW service to ensure that you feel that you have recieved overall great value during your stay.

Thank you again for your positive review and recognizing our staff! We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel is in a great location. It is within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. The rooms are beautiful, spotless, and the beds are so comfortable you may have a problem getting out of them in the morning. There is a bar, a restaurant and a Starbucks located in the hotel. Everything about the hotel is convenient. Also the staff is warm and welcoming. I can't wait for my next visit to Houston.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Hi Debbie - Thank you so much for your nice review and mentioning our "warm and welcoming staff". Our associates are our greatest asset and it is always gratifying to have some one put that in a review of our hotel!

We hope to see you back in Houston soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel is essentially a large, well-located Courtyard pretending to be a JW Marriott. The lobby is nicely decorated and appealing and the staff are exceptional. However once you get on the lift the hotel's age is apparent. The rooms while decent sized and comfortable could have been at a Courtyard if I hadn't known better so there is nothing five star about this hotel. Throw in in-room Wi-Fi charges AND no 24-hour room service and this all added up to a less-than-impressive stay. Not worth the money in my opinion.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Eric R

Eric - Needless to say I was dissapointed to read your review on our hotel, but I do have some news to share that hopefully will convince you to stay with us again in the future.

First, we will be completing several projects in 2014 that will enhance the look and feel of the hotel. The guest rooms will be renovated and receive a sophisticated new JW custom design that will include new showers for all the King bedded rooms. We will also receive a elevator modernization that will include a sleeker design for the elevator cabs and will upgrade all the mechanical for the elevators. These projects will represent over 25 million in total investment and our entire JW team looks forward to sharing them with our guests. Until then you will see that are rooms will be well maintained, clean and fresh.

Secondly, we do offer an overnight selection of fresh sandwiches and salads between 11 pm and 5 am. I apologize if we did not do a good job of letting you know that this was available. I will make sure that our staff is communicating the option better when a guest calls down in the late night hours.

I really appreciate your mention of our staff as "exceptional" and I hope that the service you received will draw you back in the interim and hopefully you will be around next year to see the transformation of our guest rooms.

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is essential to our team as we continually try to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Across the street from the Galleria this is a fantastic location. Front desk is attentive and willing to attend to guest requests.
Ask for a room towards the back of the hotel otherwise you may hear the street traffic. Close to multiple restaurants; Del Fresco, etc.

The rooms could stand a remodel or at least vacuum closer to the base moulding. The shower heads and pressure was great. Two items I look for as a weekly business traveler.

Overall a good Marriott but really does not stack up to the JW name.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank C M

Thank you for your review of our hotel and the positive comments about our Front Office staff! We are pleased that our location also works so well for you. We truly feel that our hotel has the best location in the city with our proximity to some of the best shopping, dining and entertainment that the city has to offer.

I am excited to let you know that the JW team has big plans for remodeling our guest rooms in 2014 and that we are currently in the midst of the design process. I think that you will be very impressed with the changes that we have coming. The room design will be sophisticated yet comfortable. It will also include design elements that are indicative of our location here in the great city of Houston, TX.

In the interim, you can rely on the fact that our hotel will remain well maintained and clean and that you will experience warm and friendly service that in unrivaled in our area. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hotel has everything! Right out the door you have the Galleria, which has an ice skating rink inside. The hotel itself has this gorgeous indoor/outdoor pool you just don't get in Minnesota. The staff is amazing! The room service is second to none and food is amazing. I highly recommend this as your next stay. It is close to everything, museums, NASA, and a short drive to amusement parks.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your great comments on our hotel! We are thrilled that we served as home base for all that Houston has to offer during your stay. Our location is the best place to enjoy the city with so much within walking distance. As you mentioned many of Houston's cultural attractions are a short drive or cab ride away.

We look forward to seeing you soon! Remember Houston is a great place to visit in the Winter as our temperatures stay pretty moderate. And as I saw your picture of our pool, it is important to let you know that it stays heated year round in case you need a break from the cold temperatures up North we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Just ok rooms. Strange bathroom shape & not the best lighting. Nice lobby & other hotel amenities as well as great location. Self parking Fee a bit high. Left for another hotel as the last night doubled in price. Staff wouldn't give us any deal to keep our business. Went to Sheraton..much nicer rooms at $99 a night!

• Stayed: September 2013