“Excellent staff”

JW Marriott Houston
Ranked #26 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott Houston by the Galleria for one night in September. The hotel is very nicely kept, although the property itself is not up to the standards of other JW Marriott. I guess when the new JW Marriott in downtown will be ready, this will be downgraded to a lower class.
The staff, from front desk to valet are really amazing. Staff is probably the best part of any Marriott stay. In general I don't like the décor of Marriott hotels, but this is obviously a very personal matter. Good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Thank you so much for recognizing our staff in your review. We are very proud of their committment to our guests and it means so much that you have taken the time to share it with our online community. Rest assured that we will also share it with all our associates.

You also mentioned that your felt the hotel was not up to the JW standard as far as the look and feel. I am excited to let you know that we will be updating the rooms early next summer with a 23 million dollar investment that will be sure to appeal to our JW loyal guests. Until then just as you mentioned we will ensure that our guest rooms, as well as the rest of the building continues to be well maintained and that every guest receives an authentic and intuitve service experience. Thank you and we look forward to having you visit again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have stayed here twice in the past 3 months, and the experiences I have had have been good.

The service is very good, reception, lounge, room service and cleaning are all great at good service. The rooms are still in an old-ish decor, but clean and well kept. 'Shower Power' is great with plenty of hot water. The view is good, as the hotel is not surrounded by other tall buildings, plenty of light in most rooms. The gym is large, functional and with plenty of treadmills and equipment. The pool is both in and out door, though not a lap pool. Overall the gym has the basis for a good work out. The 22nd floor lounge is excellent, both breakfast and 'evening snack' is very well laid out and inviting.
I have used room service, which was prompt and within the advised 30 minutes. The dry cleaning service is also very handy, the cleaned clothes are hung directly into your closet. I have received several packets by UPS, also no problem, delivered to my room when I got back in the evening. Proximity to the Galleria mall is very handy, literally across the street.
The parking is below the hotel in two sub floors, it can be quite full and there is not a huge amount of space, but I have always found a space for the car. Note that the Starbucks close in the afternoon.

All in all, a very uncomplicated hotel to live in, with great service. Perhaps a bit on the expensive side, but in Houston you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevator as they are on the very noisy side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your very detailed review of our services the hotel offers. I am pleased that we met your expectations, but even more pleased that you indicated that you will return in the future. Thank you again for the nice comments!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This Galleria location is big on service. From check-in to room service, it's all good. I especially appreciate that you can get room service 24/7. After 11:00 PM you can get cold items like a chicken Ceasar or a turkey club, but the service being available at all is a huge plus for this property. My room was huge compared to standard Marriott hotel rooms and the amenities are upscale - the kind you really want to pack and bring home! The hotel is close to that incredible Houston Galleria with great shopping and restaurants in walking distance. It only took me 20 minutes to get to my meetings downtown in morning traffic. Very convenient. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay above the 3rd floor. The Westheimer side traffic dies down in the evenings and so noise is mini...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! It is always a pleasure when one of our guests highlights the service they recieved. We switched the JW bathroom amenities last year and we have recieved nothing but great comments on the new Aromatherapy Associates products, not to mention that like you many of our guests take them home! The scents for the shampoo, conditioner and lotion were specially crafted for the JW brand.

Thank you again for recognizing our hotel and we hope your travels bring you back soon!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Just got back from a trip to Houston. Though my stay was short, I had a horrible experience at the JW Marriott. I ordered room service after a long day, and was told I'd have it in 1/2 hour. An hour and 15 mins later, still no food. I called down, was told again it was on it's way, another half an hour passes with no food. I paused the movie I was watching, fully aware that if I changed the channel I would lose the movie and be charged for it. I never changed the channel, just paused it so I could deal with trying to get my food delivered. It canceled my movie regardless, and charged me for it.

It was a terrible experience to have after a long week of traveling on business. The staff did not handle it well and did nothing to make me feel like they even cared.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Katelyn E

Hi Katelyn - I am so sorry to hear that we fell short on your recent stay. We pride ourselves on delivering great service and it does not appear that you experienced that during your business stay. I will reach out to you directly to gather more details so that I can research the issues that you mentioned and make sure that they are rectified for all future guests. Naturally, we hope that you will give us another try to show that we can deliver "swift" service that is warm and caring, these are all basic elements of our service culture. I look forward to your response to my email so that we can address your concerns. Thank you.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This Marriott is right across the street from the famous shopping mall The Galleria, and is also conveniently located within a few freeway miles from the Museum District, Rice University walking trail, Hermann Park, and the Asian shopping area on Bellaire Street.
Our room, on the 12th floor, is nice and clean, and the king size bed is very comfortable. The lobby is also roomy. The staff, from the concierge, the belt boys, the car valet parking staff, the housekeepers, to the persons at the front desk (particularly, Malcolm) are all super nice and courteous. Valet parking will set you $30 back, while plenty of free underground parking would cost $17 per night. Of course, there is also in room wi-fi, but it'll also cost you some extras, unless you are a Gold Elite or better!
Overall, we'd recommend this one and of course we will revisit for times to come.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thehiep

Thank you so much for your review. I must admit that I never get tired of hearing great comments about our staff. It means so much that you mentioned Malcolm by name and that he made a wonderful impression and ensured a comfortable stay for you.

The Galleria area is truly the heartbeat of our city with a plethora of shopping, dining and entertainment venues. This has increased demands for hotels and parking in our area naturally. Our city pricing reflects much they same as other large high demand cities in the U.S. While we know that the pricing may be a bit higher than some other Texas cities, we feel it is a value compared to other top 5 cities in the country. Rest assured that we will continue to deliver spot on JW service to ensure that you feel that you have recieved overall great value during your stay.

Thank you again for your positive review and recognizing our staff! We look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel is in a great location. It is within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. The rooms are beautiful, spotless, and the beds are so comfortable you may have a problem getting out of them in the morning. There is a bar, a restaurant and a Starbucks located in the hotel. Everything about the hotel is convenient. Also the staff is warm and welcoming. I can't wait for my next visit to Houston.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Hi Debbie - Thank you so much for your nice review and mentioning our "warm and welcoming staff". Our associates are our greatest asset and it is always gratifying to have some one put that in a review of our hotel!

We hope to see you back in Houston soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel is essentially a large, well-located Courtyard pretending to be a JW Marriott. The lobby is nicely decorated and appealing and the staff are exceptional. However once you get on the lift the hotel's age is apparent. The rooms while decent sized and comfortable could have been at a Courtyard if I hadn't known better so there is nothing five star about this hotel. Throw in in-room Wi-Fi charges AND no 24-hour room service and this all added up to a less-than-impressive stay. Not worth the money in my opinion.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Eric R

Eric - Needless to say I was dissapointed to read your review on our hotel, but I do have some news to share that hopefully will convince you to stay with us again in the future.

First, we will be completing several projects in 2014 that will enhance the look and feel of the hotel. The guest rooms will be renovated and receive a sophisticated new JW custom design that will include new showers for all the King bedded rooms. We will also receive a elevator modernization that will include a sleeker design for the elevator cabs and will upgrade all the mechanical for the elevators. These projects will represent over 25 million in total investment and our entire JW team looks forward to sharing them with our guests. Until then you will see that are rooms will be well maintained, clean and fresh.

Secondly, we do offer an overnight selection of fresh sandwiches and salads between 11 pm and 5 am. I apologize if we did not do a good job of letting you know that this was available. I will make sure that our staff is communicating the option better when a guest calls down in the late night hours.

I really appreciate your mention of our staff as "exceptional" and I hope that the service you received will draw you back in the interim and hopefully you will be around next year to see the transformation of our guest rooms.

Thank you for your review! Your feedback is essential to our team as we continually try to improve our guest experience.