“A Great Can Do Attitude”

JW Marriott Houston
Ranked #32 of 511 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A Great Can Do Attitude”
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Imagine a hotel where absolutely every staff person goes out of their way to be helpful. From check in to checkout everyone at this hotel, regardless of title, was eager to help. Looking to print a boarding staff? Someone from the kitchen not only pointed where but took me there. While waiting in the lobby for a ride, the concierge asked me if I needed assistance and had the valet notify me when the ride came. Meanwhile I drank Starbucks and stayed out of the cold and wet. I experienced this can do attitude across the board and very much appreciated. The hotel is in the Galleria area, near loads of shops and restaurants. The fitness center was excellent and the room and bed were perfect. Only minor grievance was the shower was smallish and 70's like. Given everything else was perfect, no big deal.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
WOW! Thank you so much for this wonderful review. Your words really capture what I feel is the spirit of our hotel, and I can not imagine saying it any better than you did! This is exactly the sort of intuitive, caring and anticipatory service that we strive to have all our guests experience. I read your review to our front office associates this afternoon and it really made everyone feel so good to be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on line and recognize our associates.

We hope to see you at the JW Houston next time your travels bring you this way!

P.S. The shower experience is one of the main focal points of our new guestroom design. All King bedded rooms will have new glass standup showers. We will start converting these in September 2014 and finish in February 2015 as part of our full room renovation scope.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at JW Marriott for four days in March 2014 ..It was great ..the staff were professional and personable ..particularly Jaime at front desk who was very helpful to us.
Room was excellent ..the convenience of Starbucks in the lobby was a rare bit of added luxury and although the hotel seemed full it was efficiently managed .Restaurants and Room service were excellent ..
Excellent value short break if your looking for value comfort and a bit of indulgence ..not too expensive ..very good value and service ..
We loved it and will return
Hugh S

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hugh S
Thank you so much Hugh! We appreciate that you took the time to recognize Jaime and the rest of our team! I will make sure that we pass along your kind words. I have to admit that having Starbucks here is a great amenity and one that most of our guests enjoy!

I hope however, that you had a chance to have a more leisurely cup of coffee in our South Coast Grill along side a big stack of our Chef's famous Multi Grain Granola Pancakes with fresh local honey and bananas. If not, it will be something to look forward to on your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the JW soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Located near shopping and good dining. I want to give it 5 stars but the hotel is more of a Marriott than and JW Marriott. My room was nicely appointed but not great. I had a room with a 24 in it which got a great deal of elevator noise. Staff was great and addressed a TV issue promptly

Room Tip: I had room 1824 and had a great deal of elevator noise try to stay away from the elevators
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Biztravr
Thank you so much for highlighting our service and location. I am very pleased to to tell you that the hotel will be commencing several projects in the next 12 months to update and add a more luxurious feel to the hotel. Specifically our room renovation will begin in September 2014, and will include a full redesign of the guest room and add several new features like refrigerators,USB ports bedside and at the desk, 42" WiFi HD TV's and in all King bedded rooms we will be converting the existing tub/shower setup to a glass enclosed stand up shower. Best of all, all the bathrooms in the guestrooms will be opened up and expanded in size.

We will also be doing a full elevator modernization starting in July which will make our elevator system state of the art. In the interim however, we are making some adjustments to the elevator weight system and the mechanisms that open and close the doors which should help reduce some of the sound from their travel.

Thank you again for reviewing our hotel!
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Every time I travel to Houston for business rason I stay at this hotel which is located in the Galleria area close by Galleria Mall and several good restaurants. The hotel has an excellent gym center equipped with many exercise machines but can be crowded in the mornings. I also like to spend time and have my dinner at the Destino restaurant. Staff is always very kind with their guests. Checking in and checking out is fast.

Room Tip: Avoid 5th floor rooms close to the gym center because the noises of the gym door opening and closing...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for highlighting several of our hotel's best assets. As always we are most proud of our staff and I am pleased that they have made this your hotel of choice in the Houston area. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

P.S. You mentioned Destino. Not sure if you have tried our Chef's Shrimp Arugula Flatbread Pizza. It is definitely worth flying back to Houston for!
Louisiana
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed our Valentine weekend at the JW Marriott Hotel on Westheimer near the Galleria. The room was wonderful! We requested a room with a view so they gave us a room on the 18th floor facing Westheimer and it was perfect! The bed was so comfortable and I loved the shades that kept the light out in the morning. The rooms don't have a refrigerator but you can request one for no extra charge. We asked for one when we got to the room on Friday night and they promptly delivered it with a smile. As you can see, we really liked the room, but I can't say enough about the hotel staff who were so cheerful, helpful and always smiling - everyone of them from the valet attendants to the front desk clerks to the housekeeping staff. They all made us feel so welcome. Great weekend at a great hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank kmyers4272
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
I am so happy to hear that you had a great Valentines weekend and that we were a part of it. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff. They are truly what we feel makes our hotel a special place for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Disclaimer: Our room was paid with a free night certificate, so zero dollars out of pocket.

Room value price: $120 - $200. (What I would expect to pay for this room. Actual rate determined by hotel.)

My partner and I enjoyed our quick one night stay at the JW Marriott Houston, except that the AC was never able to properly cool the room. We prefer a chilly room to sleep in but the central system was unable to meet our demand. At check in, the desk clerk comped our soda and snack due to a delay. FYI - this hotel, due to the branding, and the Galleria Mall across the street, attracts many non US guests.

Our room was very clean and quiet, and no complaints about the bath area.

Green Features: They must be saving money on air conditioning since the room never really cooled off properly.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
I am so sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations as it relates to the room temperature. I am going to reach out to you directly so I can get the room number you were in and have our engineering staff check it out thoroughly.

I know it was a quick stay but I hope you enjoyed your time in Houston and will return soon.
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The JW is our hotel of choice in Houston. It is located near all our favorite shipping haunts. Located across the street from the Galleria.

The rooms are clean, quiet and very comfortable. The bath tubs are too shallow, but that is most hotels.

Normally, I travel with an egg crate to help my back from hotel beds, but the JW has very comfortable mattresses.

The breakfast buffet has all the variety needed for a good start to the day. The Belgium waffles are my favorite.

We travel with electric scooters and the valet staff are always so helpful. When we travel alone, this help is invaluable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff! We feel honored to be your hotel of choice and plan on continuing to earn that designation! I will make sure to let our valet staff know of your appreciation. We look forward to having you as our guest again real soon.