“Great location, service with dated rooms”

JW Marriott Houston
Ranked #31 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Excellent location (across the street from the Galleria) and the service was top notch for the Marriott brands. Rooms could use an upgrade but so could all Galleria area hotels! Would definitely stay here over the Hilton and Westin properties nearby as rooms are bigger/more comfortable and service much better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Starthur
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Houston

Reviewed 12 May 2014

For people doing business or shopping in Galleria the location of this hotel is excellent. Rooms are average and bathroom a little bit small. At first, my reservation wasn't found but with my confirmation number they created a new one and got my room. Beds were comfortable, although the shades can be better, sun got into our room in the morning. Its an average hotel, nothing fancy about it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pcex
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I am would like to apologize for thedifficulty in finding your reservation during your recent stay with us. I hope that we did not keep you too long and delay you from your plans. We are excited to let you know that we will be do a full scale rooms renovation starting late summer that will address some of the areas you felt needed improvement. We will be expanding the size of the bathrooms and adding beautiful glassed in showers to all the King bedded rooms. The design will be very contemporary with a touch of Texas chic. I hope that you will return and enjoy the changes we will be making in the coming months.

Thank you for your review and highlighing our hotel.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I live here in Houston and I got a room for my anniversary. I was promised chocolate strawberries and champagne upon arrival. I had to call the front desk twice to get it.. I did enjoy the room sservice. Its right across from the Houston galleria and on the same block as the grand lux cafe. We had breakfast there the next day and walked across the street to the mall to shop.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jasmine M
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Jasmine - Thank you for providing feedback for your stay in August of 2013. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on such a important occasion. Please accept my apologies that we did not get it right the first time. We will certainly make this a learning opportunity for our staff. Thank you for highlighting our location and the room service that you enjoyed. We hope that you will give us another opportunity this year to win you over!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed this Hotel in January 2014 and since then Regular Guest. Excellent Service by very Helpful and enthusiastic staff. Restaurant Serves International Food. Also Being Platinum Member enjoys exclusive Breakfast at Concierge Lounge With live Omelet Station. Just walk to Galleria Mall, its just Opposite to the Hotel. They have Hotel Shuttle for 3 Miles Radius.They have Racquet Ball and Tennis Court inside the Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

When you arrive after a 10 hour flight and a 40 minute taxi drive what you want to see is a friendly face and a 'can do' person behind the counter, well tick the box for that as the reception were very helpful as was the bell boy who delivered the luggage. The room layout is a little odd with a sink outside the bathroom by the wardrobe, just the toilet and bath in the tiny bathroom, the decor is a little old world (70's) however the beds and linen were first class. One of the reasons I booked this hotel was the Sauna and we found out after arrival that it had been removed and renovations were about to start in the area where it was, this made the fitness area disappointing and it was very crowded, I am not sure with guests or outside visitors, I see the website has now been changed and no mention of the sauna. The restaurant and service is good, the breakfast is good with a varied range and the concierge service for taxis was also good. Good yes, great no, not for the price that they are charging, I did expect better for the money to be honest.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Scomp
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very pleased to hear that our staff were friendly and solicitious apon arrival and throughout your stay. I am sorry however that we fell short of your expectations, particularly as it relates to the sauna. We decomissioned the sauna at the beginning of the year and we are awaiting the final plans for the renovation of the fitness center. It is uncertain whether or not this amenity will be in the final scope of the plans, but we will definitely put it back in our amenity list if and when it does.

I hope that you will return again, as we are doing extensive renovations and improvements to the hotel over the next several months particularly as it relates to theguest room bathrooms. I really think that you will find it addresses the concerns that you mentioned and will be a true JW experience.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Below par for a JW Marriott; anyone who gave positive reviews likely has not stayed at an actual JW before. This hotel has much work to do if they want to be a JW and charge JW prices-this hotel is more like a Spring Hill Suites. If you're coming to Houston stay elsewhere.

No mini bar in room. Mini fridge in room was broken and leaking water.

Bathrooms are old and need updating. I felt like I was in a Super 8 bathroom.

Service at this hotel was great! But nothing can makeup for the other areas lacking.

Amenaties are subpar as there was no late night dinning and not even a place to grab a drink at midnight (this was a Friday night).

Won't be going back.

Room Tip: Just stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Julie T
SFoley2013, General Manager at JW Marriott Houston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hi Julie - I am dissapointed that you found your experience below expectation. I want to let you know that we will be doing a full scale renovation in our guestrooms late summer and adding some of the very items that you mentioned. We are currently in the process of adding 42" HD TV's and refrigerators for all the rooms. Also the renovation will include an expansion of the bathroom and new glass enclosed showers in all the King bedded rooms. I think that the finished product will be exactly what you expect from a JW Hotel!

I do appreciate you mentioning the "great" service you received while here and we hope that you will come back for our new product debut. We will be completely done by March 2015, but we will start putting the renovated rooms as they are completed back into the inventory as early as November 2014.

Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the JW Marriott Houston last weekend for a JSA convention and it was wonderful.

I came to this hotel with my school for JSA. It was a large convention with many students, and the accommodations were great. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the beds very comfortable. I loved the chocolate that was placed on the pillow!

We spent most of our time in the large conference rooms and salons while doing different convention activities.

One of my favorite parts about this hotel was the indoor/outdoor pool, fitness center, and outdoor deck all on the fifth floor of the hotel. This was a great place to hang out with the other students after a day of convention activities. I can't wait until next year's convention when we can stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business