“Plunged the Toilet with a Stick”
Review of America's Inn

America's Inn
Ranked #425 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Plunged the Toilet with a Stick”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I can honestly say this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in--and I grew up taking divey roadtrips across the country on a tight budget.

I booked this hotel using the priceline service where you don't get to know your hotel in advance. In the past this has worked out very well for me, but this is a huge and notable exception. At the time my boyfriend and I were living in Texas a few hours South of this hotel and we had a friend coming to visit Houston who wanted to book a hotel on the cheap... we turned down the Marriot for $65 in favor of this hell hole for $50. Huge mistake.

The night staff at this hotel is fairly friendly, but the day staff is rude.

After we checked in the three of us made our way to the parking lot; it is unsafe and can be accessed easily..we noticed a lot of people just standing around in the parking lot near the vehicles. Our room was on the second floor which was nice, but the stairs were inconveniently located by rooms where the smell of pot and cigarettes made it hard to breathe just walking by. Let alone the fact that we heard aggressive fighting coming from these rooms as well as the ground being littered with empty alcohol bottles outside. Once in the room, nothing improved. The sheets and furniture look like they have never been washed. I slept in a hoodie every night to avoid making direct contact with any of the bedding. The shower was falling apart and disgusting and likewise with the toilet. The first night of our stay my boyfriend clogged the toilet (not a hard feat) and had to do the walk of shame to the front office to get a plunger....EXCEPT....the maintenance staff goes home early in the day and locks their closet. There was no access to a plunger until the next morning!!! And we were told we couldn't use our toilet the entire night. Because we all needed to, we found a fallen tree limb in the parking lot and used it for the job. Less than desirable and completely disgusting.

Finally!! We were so eager to check out that my boyfriend forgot his duffle bag in the room (something we didn't notice until we had made it back home.) When I called the hotel they said they would hold it for the day, but after that they were confiscating and throwing it out. ONE DAY! Luckily we had a friend still in the area that could swing by and grab it for us. But why would you only give people one day to retrieve their small piece of luggage?

We were stuck in that hotel for four days. Unimaginably bad. Better off staying in your car. Spring the extra money, I wish I had!

Room Tip: Higher Floors are less likely to be broken into
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yellow_Lexi_Rose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Irving, Texas
Reviewed 11 February 2014

we supposed to stay there ( AMERICAS INN 8201 SOUTHWEST FREEWAY HOUSTON TX 77480 ), we had the room trough our bank rewards points, we collect points and latter we can have a free room, we checked in, went to the room, opened the bed, the sheets were dirty, stained, has human hairs (doesn`t look head hair), bathroom was dirty, hairs all over the toilet, bath tub`s bottom supposed to be white, but it was black, scare to take shower there, we asked to move to another room, they said that, no more rooms available, so, they gave us a set of sheets to change it, at the end we decided to not stay, we asked for refund, they said was to late to have refund, how do you know you will find the room in poor conditions to stay, latter we called to hotel to speak with the manager, he asked the last name room number, conf number, he said, can`t find anything???
Manager said that, can`t find anything, so, I will not to speak with you anymore, he hang up 3 times, I called back again, was told, he is not professional.
Hope this review help you to DO NOT STAY THERE
Hope we can get our points back to our account, since the checked us out on the same day and sold the room again .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IlTanoTano

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I checked into this hotel on 10/14/2013 around 6pm... They put me in room 125 way in the back of the hotel by the pool... First thing I seen was a guy just standing there just looking at me and my girlfriend watching us work our way into the room... An hour later we decided to go out to eat and seen the same guy just walking looking at us... I felt my car wasnt safe and I just didnt feel comfortable being at this motel... We decided to go grab a bite to eat and we called to try and get a refund so we could go somewhere with safe parking... Well they said no to a refund and moving us to a diffrent part of the motel.. So I found where all there cameras where and parked my car right infront of one thinking it would keep anyone from messing with my car... During the night someone took a flathead screw driver to my drivers side door keyhole and tried wedging my door open they also put a dent in my fender I guess because they where mad that they couldn't get in... I drive a 2012 dodge charger... So I suggest if you drive a decent looking vehicle you stay away from there motel because it will be broken into or damaged in there parking lot... Pay more money for a better motel because saving a few bucks for a cheap motel isnt worth putting your car at risk of lazy people trying to make a quick buck on your hard work... The worse part is I tried leaving twice and told them why and they refused to work with us... I SUGGEST THIS MOTEL GIVES THERE CUSTOMERS BETTER PARKING SECURITY... Or just start loosing business... Never staying here again...

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Dreep
Reviewed 20 October 2013

PROS: location, price, room size, clean, good bed, lots of parking, quiet, employees and mini appliances. CONS: old, noisy a/c, mold, wifi didn't work at all, needs a lite remodel. Internet was important this trip, but just could not connect. And while the bed is great and there was no noise from other guests, the a/c was pretty noisy. I may give it one last try in the future, but then that is IT!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LuisF356
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've stayed here, I don't know how many times over the years, and it's always satisfied. Front desk was super nice and when our tv remote didn't work, he got us one that did. Wifi gave me a problem for the first time. Although it was clean and smelled that way, I could see signs of aging. Rust, paint peeling and chipped, wear-and-tear on the carpet, etc., causes some cosmetic concerns, but everything worked properly. They should do a remodel (old tv, carpet, curtains, towel shelf). Only needed one night. For the price and location and what you get, it's fine. Never heard another person thru the night and the bed and ac were great, so I slept safe and sound. In no way is it disgusting or life threatening, but I think they need to invest in a makeover.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Hopefully you were not sold a Priceline PriceLIE like we were; which is what this "2 star" hotel is. So if you booked this hotel through a travel agent or online travel site (i.e. Priceline) you better check your cancellation and refund policy, because booking this place at $1 would not even be worth it.

As soon as you approach the property all sorts of dubious looking characters pop out of the wood works. I sat in my car in front of the lobby doors only to have my car circled by a transient. Then when you enter the lobby you will notice knock off purses and perfumes being sold in the breakfast lobby and at the front desk - you might as well be sleeping at a flea market. Allegedly when I purchased a Priceline Weekend Deal I was led to believe that I would be staying at a 2 star hotel similar to a Holiday Inn or a LaQuinta. Just because this hotel used to be a LaQuinta does not make it comparable to a LaQuinta. LaQuinta actually has standards and customer service. America's Inn has neither!

The exterior of this alleged 2 star hotel was littered with trash. The screen windows to the room next to us was ripped, paint was chipped and hanging from the bottom of the breezeway above us, the fence separating the hotel from the adjacent properties was collapsed, perhaps by one of the transients that likes to circle people's cars. Inside the room the trim around the ceiling was broken; perhaps due to the weight of the blanket of dust which had collected upon it for goodness knows how long! The bathroom wall had seen better days (probably when it was a real LaQuinta) and the bathroom door apparently had been punched through previously by an angry customer (who can blame them?!) Near the drain of the bathtub there was a large rust stain, at least I hope that's what it was because this bathtub probably hasn't been cleaned properly since the hotel became an America's Inn.

Due to the safety risks and health hazards that this hotel posed my husband and I decided it was in our family's best interest not to stay the night. When he went to the front desk to inform the clerk that we would not be staying she became combative with him. He reminded her of a paper he had signed when we checked in, which she acknowledged she had until he asked her for an exact copy of (with his signature) which all of a sudden "disappeared" when he asked for it and subsequently wouldn't be found until the next morning when a manager would be on duty. She didn't seem to grasp the idea that we would be driving 4 hours back home and would not be making a return trip just to speak with the manager.

My advice, as per the advice of a previous reviewer, RUN! Run to the nearest LaQuinta (right up I-69) or to the nearest Holiday Inn and spend the extra money if you have to to stay in a hotel that isn't a health or safety hazard and is operated by a company which has customer service standards! If the idea of sleeping in a dilapidated flea-market frequented by transients delights you, then by all means book yourself a room at America's Inn. Better yet, just wait until you arrive to Houston to book yourself a place, you're more likely to find a cleaner and safer place at a better price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I have stayed here many times over the past 2 years and the things that keep me coming back are the convenient location, the price, the employees and the condition of the rooms. Now, this is nothing even near fancy, but everything has always worked. I've never had problems with other people, bugs or feeling unsafe. I even walked to the convenience store one night. Denny's practically shares a parking lot, but the rest of the area is office buildings and a few businesses. Right off of 59 and just minutes from restaurants, shopping, Sugar Land and downtown. Breakfast is cereal, muffins, juice and coffee, basically, and in a small area next to the lobby. Ice machine didn't work this time, but has in the past. The front desk and the housekeepers have always been friendly and efficient. My stay here usually covers about 10-12 hours, 9 of which I sleep, so it's more than sufficient. I will most likely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends