“Exemplary customer service”

Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria
Ranked #39 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is our second stay in a 30 day period. You may have read that there is a renovation underway. Don't let that scare you off. The customer service, room cleanliness and location far outweigh the minor inconvenience of the renovation. The workout facility is wonderful. We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family and I arrived in Houston earlier than expected. We thought that we would stop by the hotel to see if we could check-in early; knowing that a lot of the hotels try to hold you to the 3:00pm policy. As soon as I walked-in, I was greeted and told that there wouldn't be a problem at all to check-in to the 2 rooms that I reserved for 4 days. The staff was outstanding, especially, Antwan. His recommendations to various sites and places of worship in the area was very helpful as well.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I even plan to stay the next time I'm in Houston.

Room Tip: Room 606 and 604 are adjacent rooms and they overlook the indoor swimming pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Not impressed with what is supposedly a 4 star establishment. The hotel looks old and dated. The parking lot spaces are small and our check in person did not load the parking onto the room card which added to the frustration. Booked a king room and was given a 2 double bed room instead. The room was next to the elevator shaft and the sound of the old elevator chugging away did not lull us off to sleep. The elevator is also slow and takes a while to get to you. On querying why we were given a double room we were told that the hotel was overcommitted and preference is given to gold and platinum members. This was our first stay at the Marriott and this response will not make us want to stay again to achieve that superior gold and platinum status. Overall, disappointed with hotel and staff level of training and competency.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Brandon D, Manager at Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Jo-Ann D
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is extremely important for the continued improvement of our hotel and the service we provide. I do want you to know we treat your feedback with the utmost urgency and will ensure these matters are addressed. We have recently begun a multi million dollar Lobby, Restaurant, and Event Space renovation which we are extremely excited about. We understand the importance of ensuring our hotel does not provide a dated look or feel. Once completed, the hotel's newly designed public space will definately impress. Thank you again for your feedback and please join us again in the near future so you can witness our great transformation.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a typical business hotel, which is not a negative, by any measure. The staff was very friendly. It was an easy check-in and check out process. One of the most efficient processes that I have encountered in some time. The room was nice. Nothing extraordinary, but not bad. It was good sized though. The location was convenient to business areas. I will stay here again if in the area.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I almost want to give this hotel a 4 star instead because of the traffic noise from the 610 loop and the problem I had in the first hotel room, but the excellent customer services made up for it. Everyone from the valet, front desk, housekeeping and concierge are very friendly.

I have been to Houston numerous time, but this was my first time staying at this hotel. I was in town for work last week, and I am glad I stayed at this Marriott because the office was only a few blocks away, so I didn't have to deal with the horrible Houston traffic!
I was greeted by Nicholas from the front desk when I check in, he is very friendly and helpful. He also remembers my name and greeted me every time I walked by the front desk.
The hotel has a nice concierge lounge, and Amber was awesome. She is very friendly and easy to talk to. You can tell that she loves her job. The food at the concierge was good, and I was able to have dinner there almost every night.

I like that the hotel has a single female valet parking rate. Normally self park is $17 and valet parking is $27, but I only had to pay $17 for valet parking, which was nice.
Also, I took advantage of the hotel shuttle to go to the mall, and I didn't have to worry about finding parking at the always busy galleria mall.

Here are some minor hiccups I experienced during my stay:
*I stayed in one of the adjoining rooms on my first night,and I woke up at 6am because I heard a man's voice in my room. I freaked out a little bit, but turns out the guy in the other adjoining room was having a conference call. I switched to another room that day. The second room is on the same floor and a little closer to the 610 expressway, so I could hear the traffic noise. Fortunately, the noise didn't really interrupt my sleep.
*On my second night, I woke up to a really dark hotel room and hallway at 4:30am, turns out the power went out at 2:30am. It was kinda scary since I couldn't get ahold of anyone at the hotel, the phone line was busy when I used my cell phone to call, not sure if their phone was down because of the power outage or too many people were calling. The power came back on at like 5 or 5:30am. The hotel had a reception in the lobby that night to make up for the power outage, and the food (dumplings and spring rolls) was good.
*this is not really a hiccup but I wish there is a recycle program at the hotel because I feel guilty throwing plastic bottles and papers in the trash.

Overall, my stay was pleasant and I would stay there again the next time I am in town.

P.S they have a pretty nice gym

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is away from the highway (610), it's busy 24/7, and I could hear the traffic...
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The location was key here, as this was a business stay. Staff is incredibly friendly as others have mentioned. That take great pride in being helpful. Fairways restaurant was good, had the steak salad. Not a fan of the breakfast place. The pool is indoors but it's nice, and it has a big sauna. Gym is large as well. Rooms are small and the view was just a wall. Parking is expensive and the parking garage is not close to the rooms. Hotel is very quiet. Rooms have mini fridges and a good coffee system. Would stay there again!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Staff here is just amazing. Concierge (I think her name is Amber) on the 12th floor in the evening is fabulous! She remembered me and it was almost two years since I was there last. Whoever prepares the hot dishes and deserts for the lounge is doing fantastic job! Coffee machine is great as well as morning selection of fruits, pastry, and selection of morning spreads (jams, nutella ...) is definitely a nice touch. Tuesday had a little evening reception at the lobby as well with red wine!

I remember from my last visit that concierge does recycle but bin was temporarily gone. I must say that hotels that recycle are higher on my list of "to go" properties. I like when service is great and they are environmentally responsible.

I think at the end of the day general manager empowers his staff to do their work and it shows, they do great job! Being Platinum Premiere it starts with the front desk, getting great room and onwards. Whole experience is just top notch, one really has a feeling of being a valued customer.