“Houston Galleria Best Hotel”

Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria
Ranked #27 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. I try to stay here every time I'm in Houston. Fernando (the bartender) always remembers me. It makes me feel at home on the road.
The shuttle service is very accommodating to your needs. And if you aren't accustomed to Houston traffic just open the drawer in your room and they have earplugs.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Tom T

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked this trip at the drop of a hat. I used a third party to get a discounted rate. The rooms and the hotel were clean and the staff was very friendly. There were some costs that were not disclosed at check in. Such as the $9.99 per night for Wi-Fi. But the clerk did waive the fee after I complained. And I was not happy about the $17.00 per night charge for parking which I was told about upon arrival. Overall I was satisfied with the entire stay. Although my wife did lose a sundress. She left it in the closet in the room. And 8 hours after our departure, I called to see if we could recover the dress, but we were told that the item was no longer in the room. I guess the sundress developed legs and walked off.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was my first time at the Marriott West Loop, I usually stay at the JW Marriott across from the Galleria, but gave the West Loop a shot because it was $100 per night less! Aesthetically, I preferred the West Loop. I found on my last visit to the JW that my room was tired and run down. I was upgraded to the Executive floor due to Gold status, and my room was directly across from the elevators. Thankfully I didn't hear any elevator or guest noise! I did hear the constant traffic noise from 610, and used the earplugs they provided. If you are planning on hanging out in your room during the day you will hear what sounds like a jack hammer down below due to the renovation. I would definitely stay again due to the location and easy access off of 610. The only negative is the traffic noise.

Room Tip: Farthest away from 610!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is our second stay in a 30 day period. You may have read that there is a renovation underway. Don't let that scare you off. The customer service, room cleanliness and location far outweigh the minor inconvenience of the renovation. The workout facility is wonderful. We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family and I arrived in Houston earlier than expected. We thought that we would stop by the hotel to see if we could check-in early; knowing that a lot of the hotels try to hold you to the 3:00pm policy. As soon as I walked-in, I was greeted and told that there wouldn't be a problem at all to check-in to the 2 rooms that I reserved for 4 days. The staff was outstanding, especially, Antwan. His recommendations to various sites and places of worship in the area was very helpful as well.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I even plan to stay the next time I'm in Houston.

Room Tip: Room 606 and 604 are adjacent rooms and they overlook the indoor swimming pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Not impressed with what is supposedly a 4 star establishment. The hotel looks old and dated. The parking lot spaces are small and our check in person did not load the parking onto the room card which added to the frustration. Booked a king room and was given a 2 double bed room instead. The room was next to the elevator shaft and the sound of the old elevator chugging away did not lull us off to sleep. The elevator is also slow and takes a while to get to you. On querying why we were given a double room we were told that the hotel was overcommitted and preference is given to gold and platinum members. This was our first stay at the Marriott and this response will not make us want to stay again to achieve that superior gold and platinum status. Overall, disappointed with hotel and staff level of training and competency.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Brandon D, Manager at Houston Marriott West Loop by The Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Jo-Ann D
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is extremely important for the continued improvement of our hotel and the service we provide. I do want you to know we treat your feedback with the utmost urgency and will ensure these matters are addressed. We have recently begun a multi million dollar Lobby, Restaurant, and Event Space renovation which we are extremely excited about. We understand the importance of ensuring our hotel does not provide a dated look or feel. Once completed, the hotel's newly designed public space will definately impress. Thank you again for your feedback and please join us again in the near future so you can witness our great transformation.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a typical business hotel, which is not a negative, by any measure. The staff was very friendly. It was an easy check-in and check out process. One of the most efficient processes that I have encountered in some time. The room was nice. Nothing extraordinary, but not bad. It was good sized though. The location was convenient to business areas. I will stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business