“Great property, great location, but a bit quirky”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #13 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Stayed a week at this place, very quirky.... First of all the hotel seems to be a series of buildings that were built with no consideration of being connected and then were connected, so the floors seem to be offset from each other and you have half floors, need to see it to believe it.

Also the laundry service is a bit weird, apparently (as is the case in every damn hotel I've ever been to), filling the laundry bag and fully filling out the laundry form is not enough, you also have to call the front desk to get someone to come over and pick it up. After I got through that, I got no laundry back for like 3 days, finally I called the front desk and they said they had not been able to deliver my clothes because I had not been in my room, not sure the logic there since the maids come in regularly (clean and do evening turndowns) without me being in the room....

Good stuff, the gym is the best damn hotel (actually resort) gym you could ever imagine, a huge weight room, jogging track, rock climbing wall, regulation wood floor basketball court, list goes on forever.

Food was pretty good and the rooms are very nice and quiet though it seems to be tough to get cell phone coverage in the hotel rooms.

Room Tip: if you want to hit the gym, tell them at check in and they will set you up on the "gym" si...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear mikexom,
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed several hotel amenities including The Houstonian Club and that you found it to be the best hotel or resort fitness facility imaginable. I’m sorry that the laundry service provided to you did not meet your expectations. My research found that we successfully retrieved and delivered your laundry four out of the five times you requested service. There is no plausible explanation why on one occasion there was a mistake made delivering your laundry. In any case, I’ve credited your bill for all laundry charges incurred during your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at The Houstonian soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Great location! You are very close to everything at this location, but it feels as if you are in the country.

I booked (and paid) for a corner room, but was disappointed by how small and lackluster the room was.

The front desk attemp[ted to charge me for breakfast in bed, but when I pointed out it was part of the package the removed the charge right away without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fashionfoodtravel
Reviewed 30 March 2012

A mini 2 night get-away for me and hubby. A mix of modern, office-building like exterior and Texas lodge interior set on beautiful grounds in a hushed, relaxing vibe with polite staff.

The first thing we did to celebrate our first night in years away from our kids, was drop by the bar for a mojito. We weren’t in a hurry but it took some time – a little too much time - to get the check and we suffered a little sticker shock at the $25 tab for 2 drinks. That and the smaller-than–expected bathroom (in my profile you see I like a good bathtub) are the only two minor items that even came close to ruffling feathers. Otherwise, dined well (see my review for Feast), slept great (can’t remember the last time I snoozed until 9), enjoyed the fitness center, were treated well and all in all enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BaconGal
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Concierge-level rooms include breakfast, cocktails and dessert. We felt this upgrade was worth every penny. The fitness facility is terrific. Our child thoroughly enjoyed the kids' club and was sweaty and happy when we picked him up. The heated outdoor pools were very nice and a welcome treat after a day of sight-seeing. Staff is friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Being that I work for a boutique hotel in Houston myself, small items such as toothpaste or pepto bismol should be complimentary. At least at my hotel they are. The Houstonian? $2.00! Not only that, but the front desk agent didn't seem willing to credit my bill as a one time courtesy. Outside of that, the hotel was wonderful. Concierge was very attentive as was the rest of the staff. My wife and I celebrated our first year anniversary last night, and would certainly return there again, but as a precaution, you will pay for simple toiletries that should be free.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at the Houstonian while in town visiting relatives. I enjoyed the quiet nature of my stay. The room was nice but was surprised with the small size of the bathroom. It was fine , just much smaller than I expected. The pools ( 3) were clean and well staffed. I also used the fitness center and the spa and they were both exceptional. This property , while in the middle of everything and near the galleria area, was in a parkland setting. I will stay here again. Also the staff was always helpful.

Room Tip: backside on concierge floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My mom and I stayed here for a family wedding and had a mostly positive experience. If you love to swim, this is the hotel for you! Mom and I both loved the 3 gigantic swimming pools, which were heated in February to a comfy 88 degrees. The gym (in a separate building) has everything you could possibly want - awesome locker rooms, indoor and outdoor tracks, climbing wall, fitness classes, complimentary earphones for the machines, free water with lemon (and coffee and iced tea) - list is long! The spa is in a separate building that feels like a Houston version of the Petite Trianon. I had a massage from a friendly but not expert masseuse. Again, there was a lovely float pool in the spa. The hotel itself is in a 1980s-style black glass building surrounded by a very pretty garden and small woods. The black glass, hunting lodge decor and dark wood paneling make the place feel very masculine and Republican. George Bush Sr. and Barbara used to live here part-time. However Mom and I are Democrats and no one seemed to mind. Ask for a room that looks out the back of the hotel to the woods. Our room faced a courtyard (and a parking garage) and felt very dark. Beds were comfy and the housekeeping staff seemed to clean the room every time we left it. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent (the waiter was particularly nice). There was a plumbing glitch that left us with no hot water for about an hour on Saturday afternoon. This was resolved, and the hotel agreed to credit us with free parking to make up for the inconvenience. I would happily return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the woods.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family