“We're becoming veterans”

Ranked #15 of 517 Hotels in Houston
New York City, New York
“We're becoming veterans”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We've stayed here several times. It is our "go-to" hotel in Houston. The central area is like an old hunting lodge, Texas-style. The rooms are spacious, quiet, and comfortable. Service is the number one goal of the entire staff. Lovely grounds in a heavly wooded area. The health club and spa is separate from the hotel, and puts every other hotel gym I've ever been in to shame.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MacJack23
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear MacJack23,
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at the Houstonian. It truly delights me to know that we consistently deliver the quality of service you have come to expect from us. I am also pleased you enjoy our décor and grounds. We appreciate your kind comments and continued business. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Houstonian soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I just came back from a weekend here with two friends. The grounds and healthclub are gorgeous. The hotel is in a nice area of Houston, with running trails that are nearby and the hotel can direct you to easily. The rooms are spacious, but quite dated (especially the tiny bathrooms). The beds are super-comfy and we all slept wonderfully. The service was quite sub-par. Everyone was very friendly, but very inefficient. For example, we called the front desk to ask them to call a cab for us, which they assured us they would do. When we got outside 10 minutes later, no one had called the cab and the valets told us that it could be 5 minutes, or 10 minutes, or 25 minutes. Not reassuring when you have a concert to go to! Valet parking took forever and the parking lot is an ill-designed disaster (beware flooding on the bottom level!).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear LadyLawNYC,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Houstonian. I apologize for the inefficient service you experienced with our staff and appreciate your feedback to help us improve our service. Though our traditional style décor is not your taste, I am happy that you were pleased overall with our facilities and grounds. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Houstonian soon.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night as an anniversary celebration.
On arrival the valet parking was a bit backed up but there was a large event going on at the hotel so that was the reason. That is one thing to remember is that this hotel does a lot of events.
Check in was easy and we located our room on the conceirge floor with no issues.
The room was nice. Clean and good layout. I had hoped that it would have been a little bigger and had a better view but that was OK. The bathroom was small.
The concierge lounge area was very busy and we took our drinks back to the room as it was noisy and there was nowhere to sit.
The hotel is very nice and we enjoyed our overnight stay.
Drinks ar the "The Bar" were good.
We dined at the onsite restruant Olivette - see separate review.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Annabel T,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Houstonian. We are honored that you and your husband chose to celebrate your anniversary at the Houstonian. It’s nice to know the check in process was seamless for you on such a special night. It truly delights me to hear that you were impressed with your waiter at Olivette and that he surprised you with dessert for your anniversary. We hope you will return to the Houstonian soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 February 2014

With its impressive great room and large fireplace, the Houstonian made a warm first impression that lasted throughout my stay. I stayed for two nights to attend a conference, and was impressed with the comfort, quality and service at the hotel.

It happened to be unseasonably cold during my visit, so I didn't love that it was a bit of an outdoor walk to the fitness center located in a separate building, but once there, I couldn't believe the sheer size of the facility - I have never seen anything so extensive, at a hotel or otherwise. Other minor issues were the absence of a coffee maker in the room (like many people, I appreciate being able to have coffee as soon as I wake up) and the fact that there was nowhere to recycle anything (but perhaps this is just a Texas thing?). Also, the hotel seemed quite far from the airport (a 40 minute cab right) which is a bit inconvenient for a business traveler, as was the spotty, inconsistent wireless internet that seemed to require continual connection and reconnection. Something to work on, perhaps.

Aside from these minor quibbles, I was impressed with this hotel. Sleep quality was great, with a comfortable bed, curtains that actually kept the light out, and soundproof walls. Room service (breakfast and dinner) was tasty and actually had decent portions (although the lunch I had in the actual restaurant was just mediocre), and service was always friendly and professional. In addition to the fitness facility, I appreciated the mile-long walking path circling the hotel (providing a welcome break from the conference i was attending).

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Houstonian and would happily stay there again, should I be required to travel to Houston again in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear YVR19,
Thank you for your review about your recent stay at the Houstonian. It truly pleases me to know we made a warm and lasting impression. I’m glad you found some time away from your conference so you could enjoy the fitness center. I apologize that you missed your coffee; however, next time you’re here you’ll find that the Keurig machine in your room is located in the armoire. I’m happy to hear the rest of the room was to your liking and that you found the staff to be friendly and professional. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Houstonian soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This hotel is in a nice area of Houston and my room looked out into a nice wooded area. The room was clean and up to date but the walls in my room were thin and I could hear them talking in a normal voice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking into the wooded area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I'll start with Concierge Level-You need your key to enter & the person on duty stares at you as you stumble with your key. They have to take maybe ten steps to greet you & ask for your room number.

Customers sit there with Robes on, should have dress rule.

One morning sat there for over ten minutes before seeing anybody but housekeeper who still did not pick up used items. Tables dirty

Tried giving small pkg. to attendant for mailing. She asked me to take to front desk.
Front desk asked to take to business center. Woman at Business center moaned that she would have to take it to first floor to meter.{only employees allowed} Is this 5 Star Service? I think NOT.

Took shuttle service to Galleria Shopping Mall. You're given a card with number to call for your return. Card had 1:40 pm departure. Called number various time & no answer. Finally called Hotel & was transferred to Valet. Response was that they would pick me up as soon as possible.
Waited for over 1 Hour & missed Spa service. When I finally arrived was told a supervisor would call me. Never heard from anyone.

My take is that this simply a business hotel where you go for lunch or meeting. It is not a 5 Star Resort where you go with your husband to relax & get pampered!

The So called greeter by front door stays on the phone & we were never greeted in the 4 nights & five days we were there. Management should visit a real 5 Star Hotel the The Montage in Beverly Hills, Mandarin Oriental HK & many more. While it sits on beautiful property in the middle of a busy city does not mean that they should call themselves 5 Star. Very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Paris317
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Paris317,
Thanks for your insightful review which we will use to improve our service. However, it puzzles me why you chose in your review to refer to any fault as proof of our unworthiness to be a five star hotel. For the record, we do not nor have we ever claimed to be a five star hotel. I'm not sure the source of your perception, but I am sorry that your experience appears to have been so affected by your lofty expectations. Nonetheless I am deeply apologetic that you encountered poor service which is unconscionable no matter the number of stars. We do avoid the pomp displayed at some of the fine hotels you cite; we have a style all our own and entirely reflective of our hometown. At our best, we love to build relationships with our guests and make them feel at home. We'd enjoy another opportunity to improve and surpass your first impression.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Very nice accommodations. The staff was excellent and the room was great! The landscape and setting of this hotel is beautiful. I was in town for a company Christmas party so wasn't at the hotel for long. I look forward to coming back when I have more time to enjoy the ambiance and the spa!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear anneF6938UA,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at the Houstonian. We uphold a strong commitment to quality, so it's always nice to know when a guest reflects on their stay with feelings of complete satisfaction. You certainly should return and enjoy some services at Trellis Spa, we would love to have you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Houstonian soon.