“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 497 Hotels in Houston
Rye, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Makes you feel you are part of the family. Lovely room, impeccably clean. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Excellent bistro restaurant - good value with great atmosphere and choice of menu - no need to look outside to eat. Good location in theatre district. It was recommended to us by a family member who had lived in Houston and boy were they right!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank Stuart and Caro... B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Was only in town one day, but the Lancaster made me wish I had some extra time to spend in Houston. We only left the Hotel for our appointed off site activities. Dinner and breakfast were outstanding and we entertained ourselves with our own roving cocktail party exploring the Hotel and it's history.
Rooms are very comfortable as are the beds.
I won't stay anywhere else in Houston from now on.

Sun Valley, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I've stayed at The Lancaster several times now. The location for the Theater District is beyond compare. You can walk to any of the venues and local restaurants if desired. The Bistro in the Lancaster is quite nice as well. They have recently remodeled the whole hotel and it is better than ever. The staff is always very friendly and accommodating. I highly recommend it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thanks for the feedback. We value your loyalty! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I stayed at the Lancaster for a week on business and staff from my office also rented a conference room on the mezzanine level. The hotel is generally nice, food is good, but front desk service was awful, and the shabby chic needs to be redone. My room was nice, except for the loud buzzing noise coming from the bathroom. I called the front desk which unconcernedly told me there was nothing they could do as maintenance staff had gone home. The noise kept me up all night. I had to remind the front desk the next day to fix it as they had already forgotten about it. Later in the week I wanted to check out 3 hours late so I could complete business. I was promptly told "not possible" by front desk staff because my room "needed work." No kidding. This was the middle of December, yet the hotel hallways were not heated and freezing. Elevators are "charmingly" old, but hold 2-3 passengers at a time, and wait time was often more than 5 minutes. We could not find our conference room on mezzanine level as none are marked with names. Front desk staff twice told us to find it ourselves and they couldn't be bothered to help us. Imagine our surprise when our card key opened every single conference room. We just went from room to room until we found ours. Not very safe or secure as we had lots of electronic equipment and computers in our conference room. The bathrooms on the mezzanine level also were not heated. The staff other than the front desk were very helpful and nice. The food is good but room service menu is extremely limited, and the food is way overpriced, ($40 for a steak), higher than most 5 star hotels I have stayed at. The hotel is trying for a shabby chic London look, but I am afraid that most London hotels do that look much better. This one just looks old and tired, and needs to be redone. Other hotels accommodate business travelers better, but this one is charming in some respects. I wanted to like this hotel, but they made it difficult.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We truly apologize for your less than favorable experience. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you directly: 713-237-2753. Again, our sincerest apologies. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

After first booking a room at a neighboring hotel, it was recommended that I change my reservation to the Lancaster. I am glad I did. They were beyond professional. The room was excellent and had a decent view of downtown. I, generally, cannot sleep in hotel beds, but I almost purchased the bedding they provide. I had a problem with my key, but it was fixed immediately. It was a fantastic experience. Cheers to the Lancaster!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so happy to have converted you! We hope to see you again and again! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Recently we hosted a party at the Lancaster for about 65 people. All the preparations were handled professionally and everyone on the staff was courteous and welcoming to our guests. We took over the lobby area which proved to be a very comfortable setting for real conversation. Drinks were served from the bar and we chose to have eight different passed hors d'oeuvres. The food was outstanding! Every one of our guests commented on how good the food was and how beautifully it was presented. We cannot say enough good things about our experience of entertaining a group there. We highly recommend The Lancaster for a gathering any time of the year.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for the wonderful comments. We are thrilled that your event was a success! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
La Luz, New Mexico, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stay at the Lancaster 6-10 times/year. I love this hotel, but my recent visit was the best EVER. Russell is my favorite front-desk clerk. He was on hand when we checked in so the stay started out great. We had never eaten at the Bistro (Lancaster's restaurant), figuring it was like most hotel restaurants (overpriced, underwhelming). Boy were we wrong. I have eaten at most of the walking-distance restaurants in the area trying to find a special one. It was right under our feet the whole time. The steak was incredible, the service was outstanding. The price was reasonable for the quality. We didn't have a reservation, the restaurant was booked but the manager set us up a wonderful table in the alcove of the lobby. It was quiet and very special. The staff go out of their way to make you feel at home. The beds are the best. You can even buy a bed set up if you'd like to take one home with you. I highly highly recommend this hotel. It is probably my favorite of all I stay around the country!

Room Tip: There are just a few rooms per floor so every room is quiet, every bed is outstanding.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What great comments about our Bistro! So many patrons from both the hotel and outside the hotel love this Houston favorite! What an honor to be called your favorite hotel from across the country! Thank you! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.