“Great boutique hotel with European ambiance”
Review of The Lancaster

The Lancaster
Ranked #1 of 506 Hotels in Houston
College Station, Texas
“Great boutique hotel with European ambiance”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at the Lancaster on a recent trip to the Houston Grand Opera. Our room was great! Comfortable bed, lovely throw that was perfect for napping without unmaking the bed in the afternoon and a wonderful breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've traveled to Houston many times over the last 15 years. I tried the Lancaster just because I hadn't yet. Extremely impressed! Very professional and happy people to serve at the door, the desk and the restaurant. Decor and feel is very high class, yet comfortable. I wish I had chosen the Lancaster sooner - its my new "go to" place when heading to Houston.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I travel to Houston every week for a few days for business. I have stayed at numerous hotels all throughout the Houston area, and out of the dozens I have been in Lancaster is the best. They have amazing customer service, and have successfully earned me as a lifetime guest. I will not stay anywhere else while I'm in Houston.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Walk on in, and if you're lucky, the front desk concierge Russell will be there to greet you AFTER both doors are opened from the pro's greeting you outside. I am a hotel junkie and what a HUGE surprise of "home spun glamour" that dripped on me. What's "home spun glamour?" Answer: It's where you feel 100% comfortable walking into a nice place, albeit a bit sweaty and yet feel hugged as they hand you a cool towel for those that "perspire" OR "sweat". (It IS Houston.) The bonus is the hotel is small, yet large in charm and character with 100% of the rooms dusted with fineries. We checked out with a smile and a certainty we will be back, perhaps just to do...nothing. The pillows are amazing...I may see if I can sell them on TV as "Angel Pillows". You go to bed eating too much chocolate and wake up hugging one of these and feel no regret. The No REGRET Angel Pillow...put your head on one tonight at the Lancaster. Don't miss an art deco toast at the bar where you can also enjoy great food...from kale salads for us health freaks to anything else...they say "yes, absolutely". Yum.

Room Tip: There is no gym on location, but they do have an off premise agreement. Also, if you are going to be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kamline
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - comments like this really make our day and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I say "authentically old" because you would probably notice the furnishings at the lobby and the elevator are of the previous century's vintage. And by the way, it is "old" only by US standards. Going back to the elevators, it was being refurbished when we were there for 5 days. I also didn't mind that it took a tad too long to get warm/hot water. I wanted to be in this historic and old hotel and I loved every minutes of it the small inconveniences notwithstanding.

The location is perfect if you: a) want to stroll in the evenings and go bar hopping; b) enjoy the theatre; or c) just want to be in a quiet but lovely part of Houston. Just a block away from the hotel is a rest bar called "Sambuca" where you can enjoy nightly live music. A few steps away is Market Square surrounded by nice and cozy bars.

Lancaster has a shuttle service that can bring you to anywhere in the downtown area, gratis. Turar our driver yesterday was very friendly and helpful when he brought us to a religious Sunday service and back. He also gave us a lift going to another great steak and seafood place near Lancaster called Vic and Anthony's.

If you regularly jog or run, the Buffalo Bayou trail is just a block away and has just been recently given a facelift. It's a great place to jog if you do not mind the constant whirring of the cars in the interstate closely. At least, you are in a safe place to run!

The breakfast came with the room. The breakfast buffet doesn't have a wide variety but enough for the basics. If you want to have chips and some extras, the "lion's Den" at the second floor has some food and other amenities for the guests.

The internet works and I would say has a "standard" bandwidth. By "standard" I mean an iTunes TV episode will take 20 or so minutes to download. I did love the Samsung TV in the room as it had an HDMI connection to which I attached my Apple TV (yes I had one with me) and enjoyed my usual TV episodes.

My room as at the top floor (12th) and a corner one as well. It was spacious and the bathroom is decently large enough for two people using it at the same time.

Finally, I would say the friendliness of the staff at the front desk and everywhere else really livened up the old ambience of this historic hotel. Even the surly staff in the bar (for breakfast) seemed friendly! Diana was especially helpful in getting us settled in the hotel and arranging a limo service (Darby and DD) during our stay there.

If I go back to Houston (and this may be soon) I will surely go back to Lancaster Hotel. A great place!

Room Tip: Get the top floor corner room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Wow, thank you for this wonderful review! You could moonlight as a concierge! We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We love The Lancaster!
Every staff member is very attentive and go beyond just being helpful.
If you make/need a special request they will do whatever they can to make it happen.
I'd broken my ankle in four places. Wearing a boot, just out of a cast, on a knee scooter and/or wheelchair. We'd had booked an accessible room.
But because of a health issue with someone else, the guests in our booked room were not going to be unable to vacate. A lovely young lady named Sarah called to let us know the occurrence, apologised, and asked if they could put us in a large room? They would install a shower chair and have a shower spray hose added to shower for me. It worked out perfectly for me.

The hotel is very clean. Rooms are well appointed. A safe, and a refrigerators are, I think, in all the rooms since their updating? The hotel has double pane windows, so even though we had a front facing corner room, there was no noise (well, we did hear an ambulance go by, but they are suppose to be heard).

We were told The Lancaster wonderful restaurant had a new chef on staff.
I ate the most delicious, tender New York Strip I've ever eaten in my life. Kudos to the chef, and wait staff, too. Perfectly prepared and perfectly served. The Lancaster has a full bar service available too.

We look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Well lit. Secure hotel. Valet parking. Hotel has courtesy car service available to take you anywh...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your nice review. I'm glad to hear you were comfortable and enjoyed yourself even with your broken ankle (ouch!). We look forward to having you back again!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The Lancaster is a lovely hotel with newly renovated accommodations and the most addictive bed I've ever experienced. Truly, the bed was like crack, I didn't get up and shower until about 3pm the next day!

When you actually do get out of bed, you will enjoy a nice and expansive breakfast--not those little continental things--but an actual breakfast spread with eggs, crunchy bacon, french toast, fresh cut fruit, etc.,

Yet, the most phenomenal thing about this hotel is the quality of service. I don't think I opened a door the entire weekend. The gentlemen up front were ON IT! Every experience, from the gentleman at the desk during check-in/out, to the waitstaff at the hotel, and the valets/bellhops was smooth and pressure-free.

An added bonus is the free shuttle service. We took advantage of the shuttle during my birthday celebration, all of my friends who were guests met in the lobby and let the shuttle whisk us away to Brennan's of Houston for dinner. The service was just as prompt picking us up as it was dropping us off. All was smooth and professional.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends