Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Baylor College of Medicine Graduation Stay”

The Lancaster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Lancaster Hotel is a most elegant place to stay. So very impressed with the workmanship of the renovation. The Italian Glass Light fixtures ,the "Water Ware" in the Baths, the breakfast in the morning, the antique secretary desk in the restaurant it is all just so nicely done. I am so appreciative of the Lusk family and the tradition that they have chosen to continue. I could truly relax in this setting. I will be back to stay at this place in the future

Reviewed 31 May 2014

There are still a few small signs of the renovation that is wrapping up, but overall the hotel looks great. Every person that I met on the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is great - particularly if you are going to the theater, symphony, etc.

My only criticism is that parts of the hotel seem to suffer from split personality - stuck somewhere between an old and charming theater hotel versus a shiny modern boutique. Maybe the eclectic mix will turn into an advantage as it settles into its new skin. Either way, the pros outweigh the cons and it's a nice update to an already historic property.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at the Lancaster on a recent trip to the Houston Grand Opera. Our room was great! Comfortable bed, lovely throw that was perfect for napping without unmaking the bed in the afternoon and a wonderful breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I've traveled to Houston many times over the last 15 years. I tried the Lancaster just because I hadn't yet. Extremely impressed! Very professional and happy people to serve at the door, the desk and the restaurant. Decor and feel is very high class, yet comfortable. I wish I had chosen the Lancaster sooner - its my new "go to" place when heading to Houston.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I travel to Houston every week for a few days for business. I have stayed at numerous hotels all throughout the Houston area, and out of the dozens I have been in Lancaster is the best. They have amazing customer service, and have successfully earned me as a lifetime guest. I will not stay anywhere else while I'm in Houston.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Walk on in, and if you're lucky, the front desk concierge Russell will be there to greet you AFTER both doors are opened from the pro's greeting you outside. I am a hotel junkie and what a HUGE surprise of "home spun glamour" that dripped on me. What's "home spun glamour?" Answer: It's where you feel 100% comfortable walking into a nice place, albeit a bit sweaty and yet feel hugged as they hand you a cool towel for those that "perspire" OR "sweat". (It IS Houston.) The bonus is the hotel is small, yet large in charm and character with 100% of the rooms dusted with fineries. We checked out with a smile and a certainty we will be back, perhaps just to do...nothing. The pillows are amazing...I may see if I can sell them on TV as "Angel Pillows". You go to bed eating too much chocolate and wake up hugging one of these and feel no regret. The No REGRET Angel Pillow...put your head on one tonight at the Lancaster. Don't miss an art deco toast at the bar where you can also enjoy great food...from kale salads for us health freaks to anything else...they say "yes, absolutely". Yum.

Room Tip: There is no gym on location, but they do have an off premise agreement. Also, if you are going to be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kamline
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - comments like this really make our day and we hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,
Sarah D., Sales & Catering Manager

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I say "authentically old" because you would probably notice the furnishings at the lobby and the elevator are of the previous century's vintage. And by the way, it is "old" only by US standards. Going back to the elevators, it was being refurbished when we were there for 5 days. I also didn't mind that it took a tad too long to get warm/hot water. I wanted to be in this historic and old hotel and I loved every minutes of it the small inconveniences notwithstanding.

The location is perfect if you: a) want to stroll in the evenings and go bar hopping; b) enjoy the theatre; or c) just want to be in a quiet but lovely part of Houston. Just a block away from the hotel is a rest bar called "Sambuca" where you can enjoy nightly live music. A few steps away is Market Square surrounded by nice and cozy bars.

Lancaster has a shuttle service that can bring you to anywhere in the downtown area, gratis. Turar our driver yesterday was very friendly and helpful when he brought us to a religious Sunday service and back. He also gave us a lift going to another great steak and seafood place near Lancaster called Vic and Anthony's.

If you regularly jog or run, the Buffalo Bayou trail is just a block away and has just been recently given a facelift. It's a great place to jog if you do not mind the constant whirring of the cars in the interstate closely. At least, you are in a safe place to run!

The breakfast came with the room. The breakfast buffet doesn't have a wide variety but enough for the basics. If you want to have chips and some extras, the "lion's Den" at the second floor has some food and other amenities for the guests.

The internet works and I would say has a "standard" bandwidth. By "standard" I mean an iTunes TV episode will take 20 or so minutes to download. I did love the Samsung TV in the room as it had an HDMI connection to which I attached my Apple TV (yes I had one with me) and enjoyed my usual TV episodes.

My room as at the top floor (12th) and a corner one as well. It was spacious and the bathroom is decently large enough for two people using it at the same time.

Finally, I would say the friendliness of the staff at the front desk and everywhere else really livened up the old ambience of this historic hotel. Even the surly staff in the bar (for breakfast) seemed friendly! Diana was especially helpful in getting us settled in the hotel and arranging a limo service (Darby and DD) during our stay there.

If I go back to Houston (and this may be soon) I will surely go back to Lancaster Hotel. A great place!

Room Tip: Get the top floor corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Wow, thank you for this wonderful review! You could moonlight as a concierge! We appreciate your patronage and hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards,