“Great Service, Convenient Location”
Review of The Lancaster

The Lancaster
Ranked #1 of 517 Hotels in Houston
newyorkgirlintx
“Great Service, Convenient Location”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Great boutique hotel close to the baseball field, theaters, music. Expensive but excellent restaurant, reminicent of a small New York restaurant. Accommodating staff.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
PA
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We reserved a room at the Lancaster because of a Frommer's recommendation. We realized our mistake immediately by the musty smell and worn 'everything'. We even tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and look at a second room. Terrible. There were holes in the upholstery. A threadbare desk chair. Stains on the walls and floor. I have never seen anything like it. The elevator even stopped working on our way out, and we had to walk down with our luggage. The only amenity they do offer is free wireless internet, which I used to reserve the Four Seasons a few blocks away.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CitySeeker
Amarillo, TX
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I stayed at the Lancaster for one night to catch an Astros game which was within walking distance(10-12 blocks). The valet was just going through the motions when he took my car but the front desk staff were very friendly and check in was quick. With the artwork and the wood the hotel lobby has a nice older feel to it but it also had a musty odor that was noticeable as soon as you walked in. The elevators are small and and show a lot of age.
The room was spacious with a sitting area but there we too many broken, stained or worn items to ignore. The furniture was very dated and not arranged well. One arm chair was very loose and another was stained as if someone had spilled tea or coffee on it. The drain in the tub was rusted and had been for some time. The mirrored wall was cracked, the sink did not drain fast enough, the wallpaper was lightly stained and the device plate on the wall was broken. The 20" TV was probably circa 1985 and the entertainment center wasn't positioned to watch TV from the bed or the sitting area. The furniture layout could have been better probably with less furniture. The king bed was very comfortable and it was an actual wood frame bed which you don't see much anymore. The room was clean and the toiletries and towels were nice and clean.
I think the staff overall does a good job and cares about the customer but the hotel is in serious need of a renovation top to bottom. The room rate did include parking and internet and the hotel offered to provide a shuttle to the game. The price would be reasonable at $150 a night but I would not recommend this hotel until it is renovated.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank nceahuck
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 5 June 2009

If you can imagine walking into a world of the past, the Lancaster is a piece of heaven. From the bistro to the one of a kind paintings on the wall, this hotel is a part of history. We stayed here while enjoying a quiet evening at Jones Hall and just loved it. You have to expect some of the gliches that come along with staying in the Theatre District's 1920's style hotel. Just relax and enjoy!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
San Ramon, CA
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I came in to Houston to visit some clients. When I pulled up the door man greeted me and offered to carry my luggage. I thought he was exceptionally friendly. When I went into the lobby/ front desk area the hotel looked dated, I was a little concerned. Check in was quick, nice staff. The room again was dated, but very clean, especially the bathroom. The location was great, it was in walking distance to some great restaurants and I was a theater across the street. The food at the hotel was EXCELLENT! I would go back for sure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Decatur, GA
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The hotel valets scratched our rental car and would not take responsibility for the accident. Then, when I left my coat in the room after checking out, I called immediately, only to be told that the coat was not there. When I called repeatedly for the next couple of days, saying I was 100% sure I had left my coat on the sofa in the room, the front desk and housekeeping denied responsibility as well. Employees of this hotel must be treated badly, because customer service is not a priority.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Ponysuji
West Texas
Reviewed 23 November 2008

For those that do business in Houston, Texas sometimes its hard to find quality & price at the same time. I'm usually afraid of staying in older hotels but The Lancaster pleasantly surprised me. This past November I had a 3 day business trip and I needed something downtown but I had a budget. Many of the hotels downtown will start at $300 a night, The Lancaster $130 - $150. The Lancaster staff was very nice and for the age of the hotel everything especially in the bathroom was in clean, good condition, which I judge on greatly. The bed was super soft, TV was dated and small, but I wasn't there to watch TV. The only minus is mandatory valet if you bring your own car for travel for $30 daily, but for downtown Houston, there is no such thing as a parking lot. The restraunt had excellent food but pricy, which I expected for Houston.
As I had clients to see, I recommend the hotel for family because blocks away nearby is the Aquarium, many Theatres, and Minute Maid Park within walking distance of The Lancaster.

• Liked — Location, Price, and Bed
  • Disliked — Pricy Valet
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)